Square Enix hd upgrading Final Fantasy X and X-2 for PS3 and Vita

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/22/final-fantasy-x-hd-vita-ps3-details-confirmed

There's the IGN article on the subject.

I simply can't get this. I know it's fairly easy to do since the engine isn't completely out of date, but seriously, why? No one really wants this and no one really thinks they need it. The game doesn't look fantastic by today's standards, but it doesn't look that terrible that it needed an update.

If they want a machine to print money, remake 6 and 7. It'll take a lot more work, but you can use an existing engine to make the game. Honestly, if they were PS3 exclusive, I'd have to buy one to play them.

Edit: Let me clarify. I'm sure X has it's fans. I'm sure X-2 has it's fans but I don't understand them(I did like the quick role change mechanic though). I played 7 long after I was a child, so it wasn't my first Final Fantasy. 8 was, and I give that game more credit than it deserves.

The fact of the matter is that X was a good looking game for it's time, I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't buy a whole new console for an HD upgrade

To the people regarding the work required. They have engines and a few models they could polish from a lesser known title, FFVII Dirge of Cerberus. They even have voice actors they could rehire for the entire cast. Remember Advent Children?

The thing is, they make new games all the time. None of them are as guaranteed money as remaking either of those. Even if they're cashing in on nostalgia. I like Square Enix, I like Final Fantasy games, for the most part, but their best games, in my opinion, are extremely dated.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Hardly any games that have gotten a HD update really looked like they needed it. That's why they were chosen. Up the internal resolution, up the framerate to 60FPS and throw a few new textures on it if you're feeling really adventurous. It's a cheap, low risk way to make some extra money and a chance for people who missed some great games the first time around to nab an enhanced version. Unless it's the Silent Hill collection. Fuck that thing.

Apparently a remake of the older Final Fantasy games would take, too long. Link here [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/327700/final-fantasy-vii-remake-would-take-too-long-square/]. Makes sense. Though some would say that Skyrim has, if anything, more content than the older Final Fantasy games and that looks fantastic.

I also remember reading about how they'd be too tempted to change stuff, so we probably wouldn't like it anyway.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
seems like they are actually doing more than just a pure 'reskin.' they are giving us the International versions that the US didn't ever get (new bosses), probably trophy support and skippable cutscenes. and it's taken them two years to do, which is much longer than the usual, which means they are probably going all out. they released screenshots, which in my mind, seal the deal. FFX was always pretty, now with less jagged edges. and since FFX-2 reuses a lot of the same resources, they said 'why not?' and upgraded FFX-2 as well. i expect XII will happen by 2014 or 2015, esp if X/X-2 do well.

i mean, everyone wants to see VII (VIII and IX to a lesser extent), but for FFX they don't have to redo the wire models. the shear size of the PS1 era games means building up wire models of everything - basically remaking them from the ground up - is a HUGE endeavor. besides, they have V and VI to do first on 3DS :p.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
WouldYouKindly said:
No one really wants this and no one really thinks they need it.
Nobody needs video games. But, pal, speak for yourself when you say "no one really wants this" because on the contrary, I actually do really want it. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I loved FFX and I've been wanting to play it again for some time.

Just because VI and VII were popular back in the day, doesn't mean they're going to be popular now. You'll see a LOT of old fans, but there's no guarantee they'll see a swath of new fans. Remaking VI and VII from the ground up would take a lot more effort than a "maybe" is worth. They made have the character designs and storyboard all ready to go, but they'd have to spend quite a long time getting the world and characters re-created. The reality is that the JRPG genre as a whole isn't popular enough in the west to guarantee that all the money they sank into recreating the worlds would be worth it.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to FFXHD. I also enjoyed FFX-2 and they're both coming on the same disc for PS3. That's just more content to play through and that makes me a happy man.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Exius Xavarus said:
Nobody needs video games. But, pal, speak for yourself when you say "no one really wants this" because on the contrary, I actually do really want it. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I loved FFX and I've been wanting to play it again for some time.
Indeed you are not alone. I will be picking this up too, even though I still have both original games and a working PS2. Has it been confirmed yet that this Collection will include the content that was not in the U.S. versions?
And I hope it comes with trophies. I know that's silly, but I want my trophies.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
ultrabiome said:
seems like they are actually doing more than just a pure 'reskin.' they are giving us the International versions that the US didn't ever get (new bosses), probably trophy support and skippable cutscenes. and it's taken them two years to do, which is much longer than the usual, which means they are probably going all out. they released screenshots, which in my mind, seal the deal. FFX was always pretty, now with less jagged edges. and since FFX-2 reuses a lot of the same resources, they said 'why not?' and upgraded FFX-2 as well. i expect XII will happen by 2014 or 2015, esp if X/X-2 do well.

i mean, everyone wants to see VII (VIII and IX to a lesser extent), but for FFX they don't have to redo the wire models. the shear size of the PS1 era games means building up wire models of everything - basically remaking them from the ground up - is a HUGE endeavor. besides, they have V and VI to do first on 3DS :p.
To everyone reading this, take note of what this guy said: "International version".

That means The Expert Sphere Grid, the Dark Aeons and Penance for FF X.
And two extra dress spheres, a few new garment grids, the Create Creature Arena and the whole "Last Mission" scenario.

Now, as a European, the International version of FF X is the only version I ever played, so I couldn't care less. However, this is not the case with FF X-2, so I'm quite curious about those other two dress spheres and the whole "Last Mission" thing. I mean, sure, X-2 cheaply re-hashed a shitload of models and textures, had a lousy storyline that continued an arc that needed no continuation, had a really bad "Charlie's Angels at a Britney Spears concert"-vibe and didn't really impress with its musical score... But at least the combat was fun, right? Yeah, the fact that they're called "Dress Spheres" that have to be equipped into "Garment Grids" is pretty stupid (not to mention the transformation sequences). But still, it worked, had a sense of speed to it and was generally fun.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Exius Xavarus said:
Indeed you are not alone. I will be picking this up too, even though I still have both original games and a working PS2. Has it been confirmed yet that this Collection will include the content that was not in the U.S. versions?
And I hope it comes with trophies. I know that's silly, but I want my trophies.
I'd like to hope we'll get the international version that the US never got, with the extra bosses and all that fun stuff. I'm sure they'll probably also be adding trophy support, like all the other HD remakes have been getting. Overall I'm pretty excited for it. I seem to be picking up a lot of HD remakes, lately. .-. (Also patiently waiting for Wind Waker HD :D)

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
in fact, it seems like they are redoing the character models:

compare tidus' face in this article (if you scroll over you see the same shots from the PS2 version).
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/final-fantasy-x-and-x2-hd-remaster-coming-to-the-west-in-2013/

clearly more than just a reskin.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I really enjoyed both games on release and for some reason my TV really hates the European version of X (big black bars top and bottom) so this was on my must-buy list when it was announced a couple years ago. The fact they're now throwing X-2 in is just gravy.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'm kind of happy for this.

As long as it isn't a digital only title, I'm willing to pick it up.

FFX2 was one of the funnest FFs I've ever played.
-I adore the 'jobs' system.

Getting, basically, FFX+I and FFX2+I is REALLY cool to me.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
ultrabiome said:

compare tidus' face in this article (if you scroll over you see the same shots from the PS2 version).
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/final-fantasy-x-and-x2-hd-remaster-coming-to-the-west-in-2013/

The only thing it is is a reskin. What you're seeing is a screenshot at 720p (PS3) and one from the PS2 (480p) without anti-aliasing. These were not all game limitations as they were console limitation. When I pop the original FFX DVD into my PC into a PS2 emu:

http://i.imgur.com/6Opc02T.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tyHR51j.jpg

The clothes and face polygons are seemingly unchanged in the 'remastered' version on the Joystiq website. They still look as blocky and low poly as they were.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
ItsNotRudy said:
ultrabiome said:

The only thing it is is a reskin. What you're seeing is a screenshot at 720p (PS3) and one from the PS2 (480p) without anti-aliasing. These were not all game limitations as they were console limitation. When I pop the original FFX DVD into my PC into a PS2 emu:

The clothes and face polygons are seemingly unchanged in the 'remastered' version on the Joystiq website. They still look as blocky and low poly as they were.
really hard to tell. i was comparing tidus' hair specifically (yours to the remastered), and the remastered version clearly has higher res textures, but it also looks like there isn't any visible joints in his hair. i'm not convinced, but you may be right.

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
Exius Xavarus said:
This. Definitely not alone in wanting to play it again. I actually dug out my ps2 and my copy of FFX the other day to start playing it, then heard about this, so figure I'll wait a bit now, see if this turns out well.
I personally never liked FFX2, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that people want it remade too.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
ultrabiome said:
ItsNotRudy said:
ultrabiome said:

really hard to tell. i was comparing tidus' hair specifically (yours to the remastered), and the remastered version clearly has higher res textures, but it also looks like there isn't any visible joints in his hair. i'm not convinced, but you may be right.
The hair in the emulator is kind of messy, it doesnt deal with the transparency well. But this is just to show what a mere resolution and anti aliasing upgrade does to the game.

If it is a remodel completely then I'd say it's sloppy. It's very low poly still.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Huh, seems they are going the KH HD route and updating the character models. Should be interesting once they release a trailer and better/more comparison's can be made.

I do love that both X and X-2 are bundled, and that its both international versions. Would I personally buy this? I don't know. Might need a little something more to sweeten the deal, like redone voices (not replacing the voice actors, just letting them being able to, you know, act normally without be restricted by lip flaps) or something. That little something to push me over the edge to get it.

But would I ever get this? Probably? If I found it for super cheap or something. I'm not exactly running out of the door to try and get it or anything. I really enjoyed X (and X-2, though not as much), but there are other HD collections for me to focus on getting on first before this.

Though I know a lot of people are defintely going to be looking forward to this, so good news for them!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
WouldYouKindly said:
If they want a machine to print money, remake 6 and 7. It'll take a lot more work
It'll take a lot more work? It would be a new game! It would mean remaking all character models, all the environments, all the behind the scenes stuff, all the animations, all the sound, hire voice actors blah blah blah.

Sure you can roughly copy environments and characters but it's like copying an essay off the net by hand, you have the words to copy but you still have to endure the process of writing it all down and changing the words.

FFX they can scrub up the graphics, polish a few things and tah dah! A quick money maker.

They would probably make a profit on 7 but I doubt it would be that big.

Anyway, I bet half the love 7 gets is from nostalgia ... personally, I think 7 is crap.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I may not need this. But I do want it.
I also appreciate that they are doing something simple and quick to turn a buck in an HD hungry market. Will be really hard to screw this up.
While earlier being brought up to day would be awesome. I am sure one little mistake on FF7 would send hoards of decades old fan people swarming.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Oh the international stuff is there too? Crap now I'm actually tempted to get it. Going to see what the final product is though, still hoping they do more then just making it a little prettier.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
if they re write some scenes or at least redub some of the characters (im looking at you tidius, everyone LETS LAUGTH) then yeah i would buy it, i loved the leveling system in this one.