Square Enix is a ?Complete Failure?

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
Kizo said:
The_Scrivener said:
Squaresoft made inspired, innovative games. Square-Enix makes uninspired crap. Squaresoft could immerse me in a game like nobody else. Square-Enix makes me very aware that I'm playing a game at all times.

FFXII was the closest I came to enjoying a new generation FF, but that was only in the gameplay sense. I stopped exploring after 60 hours not because I stopped liking the story, but I realized after 60 hours that I didn't even know what the story was.

They're on record as saying Vaan was the main character because you can't have an older main character. (Morons. That pipsqueak never got near my party.)

FF games used to SAY something. They used to have focus and heart. FF games now are a androgynous fashion show with hollow top-down character designs that couldn't engage a five-year old (which is saying something considering how rainbow-spattered they insist on being.)

I stopped buying this crap years ago.
I'm not sure I've ever read a forum post that I've agreed with so much. Well put.
Thank you! We have found a positive amongst negative sentiment.

(Social Link Level Up)

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Bhaalspawn said:
Hey Square-Enix! Here's a hint! Drop turn based combat, it'll do you a lot of good.
That's a rather controversial statement to old-school JRPG lovers. And most JRPG lovers as a whole. Most of them would say that turbased combat is an integral part that that gives it the particular flavour required for a "Proper" jrpg.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
The_Scrivener said:
(With all due respect to those who enjoy Kingdom Hearts, the very premise of it to me is such an uninspired contrived fan service cash grab that I can't get 2 hours into any of them.)
Funny enough, the first Kingdom Hearts was actually one of the last games Square made before the merger.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
The_Scrivener said:
Kizo said:
The_Scrivener said:
Squaresoft made inspired, innovative games. Square-Enix makes uninspired crap. Squaresoft could immerse me in a game like nobody else. Square-Enix makes me very aware that I'm playing a game at all times.

FFXII was the closest I came to enjoying a new generation FF, but that was only in the gameplay sense. I stopped exploring after 60 hours not because I stopped liking the story, but I realized after 60 hours that I didn't even know what the story was.

They're on record as saying Vaan was the main character because you can't have an older main character. (Morons. That pipsqueak never got near my party.)

FF games used to SAY something. They used to have focus and heart. FF games now are a androgynous fashion show with hollow top-down character designs that couldn't engage a five-year old (which is saying something considering how rainbow-spattered they insist on being.)

I stopped buying this crap years ago.
I'm not sure I've ever read a forum post that I've agreed with so much. Well put.
Thank you! We have found a positive amongst negative sentiment.

(Social Link Level Up)
Seems most people so far can agree that Squeenix (love that name)doesn't make good games anymore, but does everyone agree that the decline started rather recently (IE 2-3 years?)

KRbertsproduck5

May 29, 2010
What remakes are they focusing on? They are finally just now remaking some kingdom hearts game after 5 or 6 years of begging for the current generation, still no ps1 final fantasy remakes and a new FFXIII very now and again. Personally I just expect more from them.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
So...
I guess I'm the only one here who liked Human Revolution...
I'll be leaving this thread now.
Most people attribute Human Revolution's awesomeness to Eidos, not Square.
Others have mentioned Eidos, so I'll skip that part and mention that I liked it too, but due to deadlines the game was sold incomplete. There are substantially large chunks of the game that were complete, including entire cities, that had to be left out. Usually it's the publisher that imposes demands on deadlines being met, and in this case that would have been SquareEnix. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken here.

It was good, but it was almost great.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
So...
Nope, I was coming in to say they've done tons of good stuff since the merger, it just hasn't been in the typical JRPG realm they were known for.

OT: I think it is sour grapes IMO. My reasoning: He seems to ignore the successes they've had since the merger and focus on the failures. One of the glaring issues here is, he forgets to acknowledge they are trying new things. I won't say they have all worked, I would actually say they have had a fair amount of failure with their new ideas. The point is, they are trying new things. Had they not tried anything new at all, they would still be in the same boat. Ask any business major what happens when you avoid change, they will tell you that you will die (as a business). Stagnation is part of what many people are complaining about so much in the industry right now, yet the same people also cry foul when a company tries a new direction and it fails.

On the other hand, I am not going to defend what they have done to FF series. When a change fails, you don't keep the change for your next product.

Captch: It's Super Delicious.... no captcha, and I am tired of you putting words in my mouth (keyboard)

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I don't mind Square Enix really. I don't hate them but i'm not ecstatic about them either, the only things they make that I play or watch are Final Fantasy related and I liked Final Fantasy XIII. XII and XIII-2, not so much, but I can forgive them and see where they go from here. If they ever release Versus XIII and it's good they'll gain a lot of points in my book.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Tanis said:
When SE stopped giving a damn about its original fanbase and started trying to 'Madden' FF7...

Well, I'd say that's when it went downhill.
Yeah, with its whole 1 sequel, 1 prequel, and a cell phone game no one remembers. That's a lot of games.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
One thing I will always give them credit for with the FF series is that they don't stagnate. They try to recapture the magic that was 7 in story, but they haven't just been making the same game mechanics over and over again. While experimentation doesn't mean success, the honest attempt should be respected.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
So...
No sir, you're never the only one. I liked Human Revolution just as much.
Allow me to join you as I slink away from the thread now.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
I've bought more games from Square Enix and Unisoft then from all other publishers combined in the past 3 years..
I think I'm fairly neutral on 2K (they haven't done anything to erk me), Bethesda has been decent too.
Microsoft publishes only a few major games a year. Forza & Halo being their main big flagships.
I buy Rockstar games based on my interest on their games, but over all, they have a high production value.

EA still gets some of my money - but only because they are so big and own so many developers, but with their BioWare Mass Effect series cock-up, no longer will have anything pre-ordered from me again; but at their going rate, they are chasing me away.
Activation has finally got money from me in the longest of years, and that was only because of Skylanders (which was more my wife purchase for the kids -- then my own doing / But I did break down and buy Drobot).

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Sacman said:
And lets not forget, Square are the ones who pushed to make Deus Ex more console friendly, effectively ruining Invisible War, with not just it's focus but management problems... as lead designer Harvey Smith has revealed...
What? Square had nothing to do with Invisible War. They didn't even buy Eidos until five years after it was released.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I certainly haven't played all of their games, and I have zero interest in playing Final Fantasy titles, but I enjoy most of the other games I have played from them. I liked Human Revolution and Just Cause 2, and I'm sure that there are others, so I wouldn't call them a complete failure.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
BernardoOne said:
They publish really awesome games. Just Cause 2, Quantum Conodrum, Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex Human Revolution... all awesome! Personally I love them for how quickly they drop the prices for their games :D

And soon hitman absolution :D

Most of this could be eidos, but i dont care. ^^^^ these games here are some of my favourites.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Eh, Square-Enix had some good games like Kingdom Hearts 2 and The World Ends with You... but most of their games are... of questionable quality.

...Still wish they'd make Kingdom Hearts 3, though...

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Icehearted said:
Others have mentioned Eidos, so I'll skip that part and mention that I liked it too, but due to deadlines the game was sold incomplete. There are substantially large chunks of the game that were complete, including entire cities, that had to be left out. Usually it's the publisher that imposes demands on deadlines being met, and in this case that would have been SquareEnix. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken here.
If this is true, i bet montreal was one of the cities to be cut. I didnt expect to only be allowed in the news office block :/

Surely it could be added as dlc? They should have gone the route bioshock 2 did, and make a separate story, instead of filling in a slight plot hole which nobody cared about :/

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
They didn't screw up Deus Ex: HR and Tomb Raider and the new Hitman look good.

Also SE publishes the Call of Duty series in Japan (where it's not that hot, but still), so they'll pull through.

And Nomura still has his original spark.