Square Enix Locks Down New Thief Screens

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Square Enix Locks Down New Thief Screens

Square Enix has released seven new Thief screens taken from an early-game mission entitled "Lockdown."

In his effort to stop the spread of the mysterious plague that's gripped the City and put a lid on a brewing revolt, Baron Northcrest has imposed a lockdown on the city, ruthlessly enforced by the Watch. But he didn't account for Garrett, the master thief, who's back in town and needs to get to his hideout - and make a score along the way!

[gallery=1896]

The seven new screens released by Square Enix today are kind of bland, to be honest: rainy, gloomy, American Ninja running through the parlor, that sort of thing. I suppose it's unavoidable, given the subject matter, and in that regard they do a nice job of portraying a grey, downtrodden, faux-Industrial Era city in the grip of a deadly plague that's definitely not Dunwall, but I'd really like to see something a little more compelling - something that says, "You must play this game!" instead of just, "This is what it looks like."

Thief comes out on February 25, 2014, for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
but I'd really like to see something a little more compelling - something that says, "You must play this game!" instead of just, "This is what it looks like."
So much this. All I got from the screens was "This game is gray and brown." Man, if that was enough to sell a game we'd still be using 56k colors. Almost every single gameplay footage released seems to just be them showing how to kill people in a theft game - show us some heisting!

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
I love stealth games because after twenty two years of FPS games I'm a god of death and shooters aren't challenging. With that in mind how the hell have they made a naturally fraught and tense idea look so boring?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Sorry Andy, after looking through the images I see no evidence of Michael Dudikoff at all.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It's QTE combat and situations, the game's shit.

And it saddens me to say it.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
At least it's nice to see them doing something different. There hasn't been anywhere near enough grey and brown in games recently, and this makes a nice change from all the vibrant, interesting settings so prevalent in games today.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
It's time for Square Enix to kill in public one more Eidos franchise. Next comes Blood Omen.

DoveAlexa

Oct 28, 2009
So the screens are grey, brown, grey, grey, brown, brown, and brown-grey? Does colour occur in the game or did our stalwart and stick-fingered hero take some damage to his eyes? Since the grey is blue-y and I see some yellowiness so I kinda feel like I'm looking through the eyes of someone with severe green-red blindness.