Square Enix Plans a Decade of Updates for Dragon Quest X

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Man Dragon Quest VIII was awesome, but then they release the next one on portable and now the latest is going to be a MMO? They're really long overdue on a proper sequel to VIII.

I gotta say though I like the free to play if you stay under 2 hours a day, that's great for someone like me. That's about all I can really manage anyways and there are MMO's I'd be interested in trying but feels like it requires such a huge time commitment, especially if there's a subscription price. I'm a huge RPG fan but the only 'online' one's I've played any significant amount of time this decade is Neverwinter Nights and Guild Wars.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
I heard about this earlier Dragon Quest X from what I have seen looks quite interesting but I really think they are being optimistic in setting updates for it for ten years even though it is going to be released for WiiU as well (as far as I know) I have no doubt it could linger on for ten years but I cant see it maintaining a substantial playerbase for that long.

Also I suspect many will just play it for free for 2 hours and then play something else so I am not sure how they plan to generate the revenue to fund this continual source of updates but then again maybe people will pay at least in Japan anyway I just dont think Dragon Quest has a big enough following to make people pay every month in the West, I quite like Dragon Quest (well only played VIII and IX) but I wouldnt pay a subscription fee to play it especially in the face of strong competition.

If they do it though I will be impressed, only ten years to go.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Never understood why console MMO's keep getting made... oh its Squeenix. NVM, they don't get it. No wonder Sakaguchi left to form Mistwalker...

CAPTCHA: dollar signs
Yes Lord Inglip, you are right. Thats all they see, but perhaps its translated into Yen Signs in their eyes.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Dear God, WHO in Square thought it was a good idea to release a MMO on the Wii? The thing is as internet friendly as SOPA. And ten years of content? For a game that hasn't even been released? On a system that is most likely on the end of it's lifetime cycle? Why does Square HATE the PS3 and Xbox 360 like Capcom does when it comes to Monster Hunter? It'll only do well in Japan, so why even bother mentioning it to the US?

The point is that someone like me would buy it but I'm in the minority I'm sure. I would love a Monster Hunter game on the PS3/Xbox 360(which is why I got Dragon's Dogma). But the apparent clamor for it over here must be small. The PS3 and 360 as far as I know aren't as popular in Japan as they are in the US, therefore they won't focus making games that much for either system unless it's a big title.

But WHY!? Who thought this was a good idea?

MrMunchies

Mar 6, 2012
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Why do MMO Devs keep planning content BEFORE they even know their game will even be a success?
To get a bigger impact on the market as fast as possible. It would be silly for them to say: "Hey, guys, we'll be releasing an Mmo! There isn't much to it and we haven't planned to add more content."
By announcing that they will update their game regulary, more people will think of it as an investment worth making. Althought, I won't be surprise if the project dies after a year or two.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Solo-Wing said:
Problems I have found with this:
The Wii is not gonna last for 10 years. The WiiU is coming.
The Wii has a tiny Storage capacity, an update every 10 weeks for 10 years will destroy it.
The Wii has a horrible Online system. They would have fared better with XBL or PSN cause of Usernames and friend lists.

Hell those are just the tip of the iceberg. There are many more problems.
i agree with Solo Wing here
the Wii is just not the place for an MMO at all

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
That seems... impossible. As we all know, shit happens. When shit happens in MMOs, you have to patch. That means no new content until old content is fixed, that means delays and that means your schedule is fucked. Even with padding for shit happens I can't see them keeping up with a schedule for 10 years. That's absolutely ridiculous. Not mention that the game will need to survive changing systems and the engine will need to be updated during the time too. That requires a modular engine, a good triage team just to constantly squash bugs, and all the guys to develop new content. This seems like a pretty impossible goal. Its good to aim high, but how about you keep your lofty goal private and only announce something more reasonable.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Better said than done. I kind of see this more like an quests unlock like they did with 9 but even then there's no way they can pull this off for ten years. I guessing it would be a monthly rotating quests thing like how Monter Hunter Tri did it online (like one month Johen Mohran will appear for a week only).

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
ITT: People not knowing that developer make their own internet infrastructure for MMO games.

They won't use the Wii friend codes or anything. Capcome proved that it's possible for a Wii game to have perfectly fine internet support (MH3).

Also, this is a Dragon Quest game. Asking why Square Enix is sure it will sell is like asking if Diablo 3 will sell. The answer is yes, in huge numbers. Now whether the people will be disappointing later on or not is not the question.
Also, planing updates and additional content before the game is even out shows the potential costumer that the game is planed out and that you will be getting a lot more for your money. It has a encouraging effect on the potential costumer and it makes the game development easier since everything is planed out in advance and they have a lot more time to work on it.

Why the Wii?
Well, first of all, Nintendo said that the WiiU will be 100% backwards compatible. SE said that there will be a WiiU release. Even if SE doesn't release the WiiU version, people who upgrade to the WiiU will be able to play their game.

People who bought the Wii version can play it on the WiiU without problems (or at least should be able according to the info we have). While Sony and MS have shown that they would be really happy if they could completely remove backwards compatibility from our vocabulary.

If the memory (or the lack of it) of the Wii concerns you, SE thought about it. The game (well, I know only for the Jap version) will come with a memory stick, with enough memory for all the updates. Unfortunately, I don't remember the capacity of it.

Don't forget to add the popularity of the Wii and Dragon Quest in Japan (their main targeted audience) into the equation. The PS2 is still played there a lot, even after 12 years. It's not really that hard to imagine that the Wii can be popular for another 4-5 years. At that point, most people will move to the WiiU and still be able to play the game without buying it again.

You people make it sound like it's the worst idea in human history, while it's actually a well thought out idea and will most likely succeed if they keep the Dragon Quest quality.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Olrod said:
There's going to be a Dragon Quest X? This is almost worth getting a Wii U for.

But I can play free for only 2 hours per day? Sorry, guess I wont be getting a Wii U to play Dragon Quest X on after all.

I wonder if the department that's making Dragon Quest X is the same one that was responsible for making Final Fantasy XIV?
And that was my scared response. Doesn't anyone remember the terror that is Final Fantasy XIV? Or even the fact that Final Fantasy XI made several people unhappy because it interfered with the naming convention? I guess they've just given up on trying to make the next legendary game and will settle on making money instead.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Dragon Quest X,
Getting updates every 10 weeks,
For a decade?

I think someone at Squenix must be an <url=http://www.decca.com/file/TheThreeTenors.jpg_4bcddb5cb3e15-articleImage.jpg>opera fan

OT: Square Enix, that's great and all, but when will I be able to play it?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
How did they make an MMO on the Wii of all things?

That thing couldn't handle more than ten players on a single server in Black Ops, how did they get several thousand people killing slimes without destroying the Wii's RAM?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Not G. Ivingname said:
How did they make an MMO on the Wii of all things?

That thing couldn't handle more than ten players on a single server in Black Ops, how did they get several thousand people killing slimes without destroying the Wii's RAM?
The server will most likely calculate everything while the Wii will just show the pretty cel-shading graphics.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
Solo-Wing said:
Its actually releasing on the WiiU too.

OT. i dont care because although i WAS looking forward to this, when i found out youd have to pay a monthly fee i immediatly lost all interest in it.

k0n9

Apr 15, 2011
Aarowbeatsdragon said:
Solo-Wing said:
Its actually releasing on the WiiU too.

OT. i dont care because although i WAS looking forward to this, when i found out youd have to pay a monthly fee i immediatly lost all interest in it.
It's an MMO, servers cost money, to keep updating, prevent hackers and other stuff. The point is, that MMOs NEED fees to run.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
k0n9 said:
It's an MMO, servers cost money, to keep updating, prevent hackers and other stuff. The point is, that MMOs NEED fees to run.
I understand that but there are other FTP games out there i just dont understand what makes this game different, im just not one for paying the 50 euro for a game, then having to pay 15 euro a month if i wish to continue playing it.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I doubt it'll last that long. What makes MMOs stale after 10 years isn't the lack of content but the mechanics. 10 years is plenty of time to learn the ins and outs of everything and to be able to faceroll any given encounter, even WoW is starting to feel it. Users pick up a sub for the new content, beat it and a week or two, and give up again by the end of the month.