Square Enix Proposes Tecmo Takeover

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Square Enix Proposes Tecmo Takeover

Tecmo [http://www.square-enix.com/].

The company submitted a proposal for the takeover to the Tecmo board of directors today, seeking their consent for the takeover bid. The conditions of the proposal must be consented to by September 4, and should the Tecmo board fail to respond or not give consent by that date, the planned friendly takeover as outlined in the proposal will not take place.

"Videogames have been globally recognized as a major entertainment genre, and have now become an industry receiving considerable attention in terms of market size and growth potential. In the meantime, the game industry in Japan is standing at a critical juncture whether it continues to be a center of the videogame industry in the world, or not," Square Enix said in a statement.

But citing the recent, well-cataloged troubles at Tecmo as a major factor in the decision to offer the acquisition, the statement continued, "Tecmo is a group of excellent creators with proven track-record in the global market, which is a precious human resource of Japan. We, however, cannot be optimistic about the future of this significant resource, given the current circumstances surrounding Tecmo. We believe that Tecmo will be able to make a great leap forward by joining the Square Enix Group, which will provide the group with further growth opportunities as well."

Square Enix is seeking more than half of the outstanding shares in Tecmo, although it has placed no upper limit on the amount it wishes to acquire, and is offering $8.46 per share, a 30 percent premium over the August 28 closing price of $6.49 per share.

Tecmo has been beset by internal difficulties in recent months, including the resignation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84246] of president Yoshimi Yasuda, who was secretly recorded making statements supporting the allegations of Itagaki and others. The company has not yet responded to the proposal, and whether Square Enix will walk away quietly from the deal if Tecmo declines their offer, or pursue it more aggressively, remains to be seen.

Tolkienfanatic

Jul 24, 2008
It doesn't sound like a very hardcore deal to me... the terms are not that cutthroat.

It is interesting to note that if this goes through, SE will own majority stakes in both Taito and Tecmo.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
I'm intrigued, especially since Tecmo's usual offerings are outside of SE's usual strengths. This could be a very good deal for both sides, especially if SE's first move is to appease team Ninja and get them back on board.

AS stated above, the terms are fairly generous as well. Not cut throat at all.

N-Sef

Jun 21, 2008
HalfShadow post=7.69985.678098 said:
What about a ninja game with ninjas in which you play a ninja?

Yeah, that's just dumb.
I kinda liked Tenchu, though anything beyond Wrath of Heaven is garbage.

I see this as a good thing on part of Tecmo, in general they have been waining over the years. Perhaps this deal will make them wholly relevant again?

Ares Tyr

Aug 9, 2008
Is this so they can pussify Ryu Hayabusa and drop him in the next Kingdom Hearts game?

Nov 28, 2007
Honestly, I don't care. FFXII was all right, Dragon Quest VIII is awesome, and I am cautiously optimistic about FFXIII. But other than that, I don't care about SE. And DOA is an awesome fighting game. With boobs.

T3chn0s1s

Aug 17, 2008
Ivoryagent post=7.69985.687280 said:
Malygris post=7.69985.676731 said:
should the Tecmo board fail to respond or not give consent by that date, the planned friendly takeover as outlined in the proposal will not take place.
So they're going to take hostile action and assassinate them if they don't cooperate?
Totally. With ninjas. ^_-