Square Enix Responds to "Racist" Deus Ex Character

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I can see why someone would think the character's racist- and I do find the oddly exaggerated speech patterns annoying and unnecessary.
On the other hand, it's not like every black character in the game speaks like that (in fact, I'm pretty sure she's the only one), and she is from the slums of Detroit and is working as a garbage collector, so it's not like her speech patterns come from nothing.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I didn't find it to be racist at all. I believe racism is in the eye of the beholder, and what you find racist and what you do about it very much determine whether it's you that are in fact the racist.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Onyx Oblivion said:
DanielBrown said:
I'm more bothered with the protagonists voice. What's happened to his throat?
He really likes The Dark Knight.
Oh man, there should totally be an unlockable batman costume for Jensen.

Jacob Haggarty

Sep 1, 2010
The only thing that i find strange about it is that it sounds a lot like a man doing the voice. Other than that, it's just the first few seconds of her talking that really have some stereotypical spin on them (DAAAAAAAAAAAAYAM!)

The only thing i find offensive is that he doesn't pay her. Thats just plain DAAAAAAAAAAAYAM rude.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Ghengis John said:
I might also add, she's a trash lady, would it sell the character better if she spoke like an ivy-league graduate?
Not wanting one extreme =/= wanting the other extreme. I get that some people argue that, but it's a really annoying fallacy that I see crop up every now and again.

"Oh, so you don't like black people in the game? Well how about NO ETHNICITIES WHATSOEVER? Does that satisfy you?!?!"

I can see where the person is coming from, when I first met Letitia I was like "Yeesh, bit heavy on the accent there." I mean, when you hear her go "Shyyyeeeeeiit" it's kind of hard not to laugh at how overly characterized it is, especially compared to all the other characters in the game. I can see how some would say "Oh, so she's black, that means that she has to have this crazy accent while everyone else is just normal?" You can have her talk in slang and whatnot, moderately I guess.

But regardless, I wouldn't say that her character is racist as that word gets tossed around so much that it's lost meaning. What I do think it is is just overly flamboyant, with hints of stereotype in it. Not really racist, I think.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Sylveria said:
I'd be more offended by the people saying "This woman is an african-american stereotype" than by the actual character itself. You must be pretty darn racist to see something that over the top and say "Yup, that's what black people sound like."

That's how maybe 10% of black people sound like. It would be a lie to say otherwise.

jyork89

Jun 29, 2010
Why does the thought of every black character in gaming speaking like that crack me up? Now THAT would be racist!

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Stereotyping one person does not equal racism... With this arguement you could say Zeke is a racist caricature of the hispanic community... Some people are actually like that and that is how certain stereotypes start. If they do it with every person of a certain ethnic group, then that is racist, unless it's a comedy skit.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Greg Tito said:
I can't speak for Evan Narcisse who also objected to the black zombies in Resident Evil 5
Yeah, I think that makes things clear. This guy is just overly sensitive. There is clearly nothing racist about that video clip and there was clearly nothing racist about black zombies in a game set in Africa. The only racist here is likely Evan Narcisee, because it's usually the real racists who constantly pull the race card on every little thing like this.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Thedek said:
More butt hurt idiots worshiping at the altar of the PC gods(oh wait we can't use that word we might OFFEND somebody!), or a massive troll (both are equally worthless and undeserving of any attention). Move on people, nothing to see here.
I'm so used to console/PC wars, that I didn't realize you meant Political Correctness instead of PC gaming until a good 20 seconds after.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
You know whats funny?
She is such a small part of the game that I didn't even notice her on my first playthrough.

Operations

Mar 11, 2009
Woodsey said:
AND they got the British accents right! Which was quite surprising, considering Rocksteady - a British studio - have hired bloody Nolan North to do a (crap) cockney accent for the Penguin.
Could be worse, they could have gotten Don Cheadle "Blinder".

mesoforte

Jan 5, 2010
There is a difference between the portrayal of a character and a portrayal of a race.

If this is within the character, it only applies to that character, not to an entire race of people. Just because a character is portrayed a certain way does not mean its bringing everyone down.

I wish people would stop identifying an individual as anything more than that.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Ragsnstitches said:
Waaghpowa said:
I don't remember anyone complaining about racism in the first game over the Chinese accents. I'm Chinese and I didn't see it as a big deal, people need to relax about these kinds of things.
Ha... yeah. That's not going to happen.

OT: If that's racist, then I should to argue every portrayal of Irish people in American Media is racist.

But I, frankly, am too drunk to.
Except Irish isn't a race, it's a nationality. Yes, it would be nice if there were portrayals of Irish people other than Leprechauns and drunkards, but even if you were serious it wouldn't be racism.

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
I was all set to agree with Narcisse, because minstrel stereotypes are very clear and distinct forms of racial shoe-horning -- however, after actually listening to the provided clip, I'm not sure I'm with him there. Yes, the voice acting on that character is a little strange, it doesn't quite fit anyone I've ever spoken to, and it edges toward some of the minstrel accents I've heard; however, it isn't really all that outlandish, nor is it so much like a minstrel accent to be plainly obvious. It is a strange set of mannerisms, but part of that, I think, comes from a disconnect between the voice (and situation) and the character's appearance. Without looking at the video, the style of speaking brought to my mind a much... larger woman. I don't know, maybe that's just me. For some reason, she just didn't look much like what I think of for a street person.