Square-Enix: This Generation Has Been Way Too Long

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
ScruffyMcBalls said:
Am I the only one who honestly thinks that we'd be better off without another generation, if we just stuck with the consoles we have now? I mean, every time a new generation begins the new games look either the same or slightly better than what we had before. Only after countless releases and devs slamming their heads against a brick wall do we finally get to see what the system is truely capable of (something which E3 just showed us has now happened with the PS3). And what we now know the current generation is capable of is phenomenal, so far beyond what we ever imagined it could do. What I wonder now is, is this not enough? Photo-realism at a breathtaking level running in huge games with complex NPC A.I. running at a buttery-smooth fps rate and somehow we need something more? Why bother? Why go through the painful teething again so soon after we start really laying down a solid infrastructure for the consoles we have?

Rant end.
So true. Nothing is going to match the first time you saw Snake or Mario go from 16-bit to full 3D then to high resolution textures. To make that kind of jump again they'd need to have perfect photo-realism at a 240 fps. Fast enough that even if there was slow down, the human eye wouldn't notice.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Baresark said:
All this talk while they basically ignore the PC. The most open, versatile and powerful gaming machines out there. What idiots.
Pretty much this. Their subsidiary Eidos releases pretty decent PC ports, but even those are just ports. I dare them to release a PC exclusive with the intent to rerelease it to consoles when the next generation finally comes out. Hell, I dare any developer who isn't already PC exclusive. If companies like Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch can stay in business making PS3 exclusives, I see no reason a company can turn a profit on the PC version of a game alone.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
A new generation will kill the consoles.

The technical capabilities have already far outstripped what practical considerations could reasonably allow.

In the last 10 years the cost of developing a game has gone from 1-2 Million to 20-100 Million.

Square-Enix themselves said they can't remake FF7 to the "Modern Standard" because it would cost to much.

Think about that for a moment; they can not duplicate an experience they managed 15 years ago.

Length, depth, width, and game-play have all been sacrificed, so that technical capabilities can be effectively utilized.

The industry feels they NEED to stay on the technical curve, lest people stop buying there games.

They think they're in a Red Queens race, but really they're just blindfolded and running off the edge of a cliff.