Square Enix Working on "Next" Dragon Quest

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Square Enix Working on "Next" Dragon Quest

Dragon Quest-creator Yuji Horii recently revealed that Square Enix is working on the franchise's next chapter.

While you might not know it based on the somewhat more limited success the series has enjoyed in North America, Dragon Quest is kind of a big deal. Serving as both one of the earliest progenitors of the JRPG genre as well as one of its most consistent tent poles, the release of a new mainline game is practically a national event in Japan where the series regularly sells millions. It should be little surprise then that Square Enix is readying the development of another one.

While little has yet been revealed in the way of concrete details, series creator Yuji Horii recently confirmed that the company is already at work "making the next" Dragon Quest. The question that emerges from this, of course, is what the exactly the new game will be. While "next" could probably be taken to mean the next numbered entry in the series (as opposed to its many spin-offs), the lack of confirmation from Horii and Square Enix still leaves that up in the air.

That said, with Dragon Quest X being a Japan-only MMORPG and the series last numbered worldwide release being all the way back in 2010, it would only make sense for the company to be developing a new single player title that it can (hopefully) launch outside of Japan. There may even be clues as to what it will entail. While the game itself is being described by its creator in just the vaguest terms, <a href=http://www.destructoid.com/square-enix-trademarks-the-seeds-of-salvation-269312.phtml>recent trademarks by Square Enix could point to it being subtitled The Seeds of Salvation. Suffice it to say JRPG fans everywhere will be waiting eagerly to learn more.

Souce: Game Jouhou via <a href=http://gematsu.com/2014/04/next-dragon-quest-game-production>Gematsu

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
For the love of god please get back to the Dragon Quest VIII single style!

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
While I loved DQIX, I wish this one is a home console game as opposed to a portable - only one. The epic scale is most appreciated on a huge screen with loud sounds and whatnot.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Dreiko said:
While I loved DQIX, I wish this one is a home console game as opposed to a portable - only one. The epic scale is most appreciated on a huge screen with loud sounds and whatnot.
I'm kinda wishing for another portable one, if only because it's getting harder and harder for me to find 50 hours to sit down in front of a TV to play a game. Man do I feel old...

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Also, where'd that 3DS remake of DQ7 got to? Just use google translate if you have to, I don't care anymore
[HEADING=2]I JUST WANT TO PLAY IT!!![/HEADING]​

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
2 words

Chrono Trigger

but please try to make this game not suck

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
cursedseishi said:
RandV80 said:
Here here. 9 was utter trash, the combat was typical of Dragon Quest but everything else was just plain crap. Worst of it being the forced pseudo-online game shit they wanted to pull with it. The biggest offenders being the stuff that required street passes to unlock and find, in an country that has no real mass transit system, much less a lacking the monumental popularity the game has like it does in Japan.
Ah good, so I wasn't the only one disappointed with that one. I'm thinking of finding a copy of Dragon Quest VIII and trying that game just to make sure I got a good handle on what a good Dragon Quest game is like.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
cursedseishi said:
RandV80 said:
Here here. 9 was utter trash, the combat was typical of Dragon Quest but everything else was just plain crap. Worst of it being the forced pseudo-online game shit they wanted to pull with it. The biggest offenders being the stuff that required street passes to unlock and find, in an country that has no real mass transit system, much less a lacking the monumental popularity the game has like it does in Japan.
DQ9 I think had a great story and the combat was good, but my problem with it was it stuck the player with a bunch of generic party members with no personality when it was completely unnecessary just to stick in it's terrible online multiplayer. It was good concept to have a customizable player character that the player could step into the shoes of, but making the entire party like that was a terrible idea. Doing it this way bogged down the rest of the game pretty badly in what could have otherwise been a pretty damn good game.

Captcha:Outlook not so good

Even the captcha isn't being optimistic about this.

Raku-Gosha

Apr 21, 2014
Hell Yeah! I love the DQ series, it's probably the only JRPG's I can get behind anymore these days. Though like other posters I really hope they go back to the DQ VIII Style.

I enjoyed 9 and some of the other handheld ports but they just don't come off as epic to me. I can't seem to motivate myself to finish those (Rocket Slime was boss though. That concept is guaranteed money!!! Look at FTL for that)

Let's hope Square learned to steer clear from the MMO attempts. I mean I can understand their logic "hmm our 2 best IPs are DQ and FF, We made a FF MMO and it proved profitable (more so now) let's do the same to DQ and rule the world mwa ha ha ha" Then well it failed lol, not even Japan wanted it (is this more a sting at the Wii though?) . I doubt they'll spend years and millions rebranding that one like FFXIV.

Seriously Square just follow the DQVIII formula to a tee. That game pushed PS 2's and single handedly opened Dragon Warriors potential in the state! So make sure to include:

-A large traversable map (sailings/flyings a plus)
-Mounts of some sort
-Developed Team members
-A monster battle Arena! and legendary monsters to capture (This was the best Side content ever)
-End game content! (the true history of DQVIII Protagonist and his home world was top-notch end game content. tough as nails too)
-Crafting! (In DQVIII clever use of your materials could escalate you and your party above your level effectively diminishing grind)
-GET LEVEL-5 to do it. PERIOD. (in fact get them to do Rogue Galaxy 2 as well, fuck it make the next DQ a space opera!!)

Those are the best concepts I can think off the top of my head that made DQVIII what it was, maybe there was something I missed?

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I get the impression SE always treated original enix IPs with much more respect than for example FF series, also Nomura is busy raping new FF title so he will stay clear out of new DQ hopefully.

NotThePANTSU

Apr 4, 2014
Surprised it took them so long. Is it because of an obstinate view towards the 'success' and/or 'potential' of the 10th game, or were they too busy putting the fires out over at FF14?

I'm rather less enthused than I thought I would be upon hearing this news.

Dragon Quest is pretty much Nostalgia: The Game and, while this is mostly preferable to drastic changes that leave a franchise in the state of 'in-name-only', I really wish we could have some sort of middle ground.

Specifically, I'd like to see the headache-inducing sound effects get a little modernisation as well as the action-input and turn-order being character-based rather than party-based (mostly because then it feels more like I'm actually involved and less like I'm watching the game play itself).

Of course I realise if they did make such drastic changes they'd probably be hanged for their transgressions(!); but one can dream, right?

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
I wish more game designers would follow Yuji Horii's lead and just keep the fundamental mechanics of a given genre intact, rather than trying to re-invent the wheel with every game they make.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Colt47 said:
cursedseishi said:
RandV80 said:
Ah good, so I wasn't the only one disappointed with that one. I'm thinking of finding a copy of Dragon Quest VIII and trying that game just to make sure I got a good handle on what a good Dragon Quest game is like.
In my opinion it's pretty much a perfect blend of the old and the new. It has the more modern convenience of a 3d world, 3d character models, voice acting, etc, but unlike say Final Fantasy it's built on the same series building blocks going all the way back to the NES. You could demake this game to PS1, SNES, and NES (though a memory shortage may pop up here), and it could have been a classic on each console, but the technologies that the PS2 brings to the picture only makes it better.

Also I never got around to playing DQIX even though I have a DS, but the problem to me seemed like it was a step backwards. DQVIII gave you a 3D world with fleshed out voice acted characters, but IX went back to 2D using generic background-less user made characters.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Is this Square Enix Japan? Sure looks like it.

Regardless, I would love to play this on PC but I know that it won't happen...

Death Psychopath

Apr 29, 2014
Well, I am glad to see, that I am not the only one who found it more than regrettable,
how DQIX turned out in the end and unfortunately being at the same time nowhere near as good as DDVIII was.

Which I still personally consider, to be one of the best classic JRPGs ever made and the sudden revelation that DQX was going to became an online-only japan-only MMORPG because SQ apparently has the unquenchable urge, to provide any of their most renowned and commercially acclaimed franchisees, with at least one entry of such kind, didn't really help to take the pressure and concern of from me.

The only thing i can hope for, is that a mircale happens and DQXI returns to the oirginal strenght of the Franchis from times long gone by and will provide us with the same wonderful gaming experience like DQVIII did it during its era.