Square: Final Fantasy XIII Will "Resurrect" Japanese Industry

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
gets a horrible feeling....................
i feel a big big wave of suck coming, and it staring with ff13

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
heres what wrong with the Japanese gaming industry.......
They get games like Night Head Noah, Idolmaster, and Stein Gate, and we don't we don't even get the damn option to buy these games while most of ours make it to their shores we get next to diddly from them besides rpgs.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Haha, I think when Square admits Japanese gaming is dead, you can stop apologizing for it. No, no one is implying that the Japanese have given up and will no longer be making games. It just means that their industry as a whole has consistently failed to produce income or hype commensurate with their past or with their contemporaries. That's inarguable.

And no, it doesn't matter why. It especially doesn't make any difference to blame the whites for killing it. A guy killed with a bat is as dead as a guy who drowned. The difference is that if their material is unmarketable outside their own culture, that's the fault of the craftsman, not the consumer. It's disingenuous to say that the market's fortunes would turn around if a disinterested demographic started buying up software they don't even want, and it would behoove fans of a game or genre not to tell potential market share that they just don't appreciate the subject matter.

They'll come around. They've certainly got enough support in their own borders to survive if not thrive, so it stands to reason it's more a matter of time and careful marketing choices to break back into the American gaming scene. Though, that will probably not be for a few years; even with a new Final Fantasy, Squeenix has gone so long without a meaningful contribution to the market that, with the exception of fans, who don't matter anyway, the Western gaming public has either forgotten Square or just ceased to care, and Square is like the GM of Japanese games; the rest likely won't recover 'til they do.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
s69-5 said:
SMOKEMNHALO2001 said:
although the game has been selling for $20 in Japan for awhile may be an indication that the game may not be much of a reviver.
Might have something to do with 40% of Japanese PS3 owners having already purchased a copy of FFXIII. Just sayin'
True but past FF games have never gone down in price as fast as 13, not even 11 for the 360

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Wow. 300 people working for... what, five years at this point? And it's still going to be the worst, least most engaging Final Fantasy game yet. I'm impressed, Square, it's a new low to have three times the team but half the interactivity of the Uncharted games.

Rhythm

Sep 17, 2008
Spiner909 said:
DaxStrife said:
They can make all the claims they want... they still need to release the bloody game first.
I will agree with this. Let's see how it is first.
I think this also applies to a lot of the comments in this thread and other threads. So many people knocking this game before it's even come out. If you don't like the FF series, fine! Just stop posting in every single thread to let us know that you hate it.

I personally am looking forward to 13. I didn't really get on with 12 but I didn't think it was the series ender that so many people seem to think it was.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
Y'know, Buying Japanese games is really bad for the economy.

I mean, I still bought NMH 2 but I probably should have bought an American game or better yet, A bunch of indy games.

Maybe if all us gamers decided really thinking about where our game purchases are going, Maybe we wouldn't all be so poor.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
TIMESWORDSMAN said:

I mean, I still bought NMH 2 but I probably should have bought an American game or better yet, A bunch of indy games.

Maybe if all us gamers decided really thinking about where our game purchases are going, Maybe we wouldn't all be so poor.
Not really. Sure the original programmers are from japan, but for them to be marketable to western audiences first the license has to be picked up by an english publisher to localize them.

Which gives employment to local programmers, businessmen and translators.

Now straight out imports would have some negative effect on the economy, but of your massive trade deficit, the impact of games is trivial.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
The Japanese game industry dead? Most of the best-selling games at the moment are made in Japan, unless you regard "The Japanese game industry" as "Every Japanese game company that is not Nintendo".

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
Nazrel said:
TIMESWORDSMAN said:

Not really. Sure the original programmers are from japan, but for them to be marketable to western audiences first the license has to be picked up by an english publisher to localize them.

Which gives employment to local programmers, businessmen and translators.

Now straight out imports would have some negative effect on the economy, but of your massive trade deficit, the impact of games is trivial.
I hadn't thought of that.
However, I disagree that anything in the the economical hassle we'r going through is downright trivial. Less of an impact than say, The film industry perhaps but certainly not trivial.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
The Japanese gaming industry needs to make itself affordable before it revives itself. On my last visit to Japan, even a DS game like Pokemon could cost upwards of 5000 yen. Most part time jobs only yield 600-700 yen an hour. By contrast, I could buy a brand new $40 DS game and I earn $9 an hour. Without considering the cost of living, you'll be working at least 8 hours of minimum wage before you can buy a single game in Japan. Meanwhile, I'll only be working about 4-5 hours for the exact same thing. Persona 4, a PS2 title, was on sale for a whopping 7500 yen. Considering the stagnant Japanese economy, gaming is really not on their minds, which is why we're seeing such an intense focus of Japanese developers on garnering the interests of the much more lucrative American market.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Thaius said:
Sigh... I take issue with the idea that Japanese gaming is dead in the first place. Guys, it's a different culture, with different values and different entertainment. You know why their stories are kind of melodramatic? Because they like that: it's not bad writing, it's a cultural value! You know why they like turn-based battling? Because not everyone requires constant control without strategy! Why do they not allow the player to control the story? Because the more control they give the player, the less control they have, and they want to tell a good story!

It's not dead, people, American audiences are just deciding their culture's better. Come on now, guys.
Hit the nail right on the head, mate.

I'd like nothing more than for western devs to take a hint from Square's style. This is a bloody huge release, EB even have a prize draw for pre-orderers(sp?) to win a damn fine motorbike. That should be an indication of the expectations of sales.

Also, since it's not actually dead, wouldn't FF13 be more like a Megalixir to the Japanese gaming industry?

inpachi

Apr 17, 2009
TheRocketeer said:
Will it resurrect the Japanese gaming industry? Probably not.

But its a good first step admitting it's DEAD.
THIS THIS THIS OH GOD THIS! Said everything i would ever want to say in one sentence!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It's dead? Well, the fact that 2 of the 3 major consoles are from Japan is proof enough that it isn't.

Well, my copy of Final Fantasy XIII is paid off and waiting the release date.