Squeenix: "We Take Too Long" to Make Games

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Damn right, they're taking their time. I haven't seen a Chrono game since forever. (joke).

Quality is better than quantity. Somebody should send this message to Wada

Off note:If they're taking their sweet little time, might as well cast some good voice actors once in a while. Also, it would be great if they make their male-characters look like a male character someday...

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
yeah they take too long . i could understand game like oblivion that is 200 plus hours long.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
I don't mind waiting for good games, as long as the time it took to make them reflects how good the game is. I highly doubt that's the case with the New Duke Nukem, I think that everyone will be so excited for it that their expectations will be too high, and everyone will be deeply disappointed. Lets not forget about what happened with Silcon Knights when they were making TooHuman. But I doubt FF will turn out like those games.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Personally, I don't care how long it takes, as long as the company uses that time to make a good gaming experience.
Couldn't have said it better... who wants a zillion bad games anyway? I'd rather wait three years as long as the game is mindblowing.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Particularly the games that come from Squaresoft's side when they and Enix became one company suffered a trend towards mediocrity. Just compare Final Fantasy VI, VII, Parasite Eve 1, Vagrant Story, both Chrono games and the original Final Fantasy Tactics to the stuff they published since 2004.

I used to be a fanboy of them, but since Final Fantasy X-2 their star is sinking constantly. It's like a japanese LucasArts.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
GonzoGamer said:
Internet Kraken said:
Perhaps if they cut out some of the extraneous content then it wouldn't take them so long.
Then it probably wouldn't be as good.
I've never gotten into FF games but my wife has and I've always been impressed by the amount of content they pack in one game.
I can tell you (having already been disappointed by GTA4) that taking out too much content (while speeding up the process) can make the game less interesting at best and a mere shadow of the franchise at worst.
In my experience a large majority of the content in these games is not needed. There are numerous occasions in which you simply have to go from point A to point B while you chase down the main villain. It just serves to link together numerous combat sequences that get repetitive quickly.

The only point of this content is so you can say your game as X amount of hours of playtime.
While I can't vouch for FF (like I said, I'm not the one in the household with the experience) I can tell you that the difference between the content of GTA3 and GTA4 (I'm not even talking about Vise or San An which I wasn't expecting anything near those levels) is huge. Not just the activities (rampages), but the weapons (flamethrowers), and vehicles (tanks) too. Sure some of those things missing were repetitive (R3 missions) but they had cool rewards and some people actually enjoyed it. Just because it's repetitive doesn't mean it's not fun. Some of my favorite all time games are very repetitive like Katamari or Rez.

Donkey Kong is repetitive as hell but people still battle over the top score.

I think it's more of a question of value. Do you want more content on the rarely released disc or do you want to buy a much shorter disc more often. I go for the former to save money; IOW I think if they came out with games more often, we would be getting less game.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I wonder if this has to do with the increased workload from working with the current gen HD systems, they already said they'll need 10x the sales of a regular game.

Me, I'm less interested in the main series FF than the FFCC Crystal Bearers game though it's kinda worrying that S-E has announced rebranded QTEs as a new feature.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Sounds like SE has a bad case of "VALVe Syndrome".

The only cure is to replace every person working at the company (including all executives) with less awesome people. Unfortunately, there is a very low survival rate following that procedure.

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
This news should likely come as no surprise to gamers, as Final Fantasy XIII won't be coming to Western shores until 2010 - almost years after FF12.
Darn straight -- I remember back in the good old days when game developers needed nothing like almost years to get a title on the shelf.

Sorry, man. This typo had me laughing audibly for a good two minutes.

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
I dont mind as long as the games they take so painstaking long to make are fantastic, that makes up for the wait. I usually enjoy the games Square-Enix make being a huge final fantasy fan, as long as they are taking the time to make the best game they can.

I mean look at Duke Nukem Forever, that game has been in development for so long its sheer awesomeness should cause my eyeballs to explode.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Maybe it's just that fact that I have an inhuman level of patience when compared to other gamers, but I would much rather have a fantastic game in 5 years, than to have a mediocre game in a year or two.

However... Blizzard... Starcraft 2 looks like shit. What the fuck have you guys been doing for all these years?
You and I must not be following the same game then, because Starcraft 2 looks amazing.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
well as graphics improve they gotta keep up and same with technology so naturaly it will take longer than there 8-16-32 bit series' i dont hold them too it as when the games do come out they are quality and they have timeless old games that have sooooo much replay value (can anyone say tactics?)

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
Elven_Star said:
As long as the game has good quality (like FF games), I don't care how much they take to develop it.
But surely there must be a limit to that time-line, I mean, it should be within reason
So far, I find the waiting period reasonable though...

Sasha Janre

Apr 30, 2008
As impatient as I'm getting, I do want this game to be amazing so I'll just have to deal. XD Don't they also have versus 13 and ff13:agito coming out as well?

The least they could do is hurry up with the advent children blu-ray release so I can at least have the FF13 demo sometime this century.

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
Well, at least they realise they are taking their time. It would be worse if SE forgot that FF13 existed. I'm sure Verses, Agito and the actual 13 will be released someday. I expect it to be one of the PS3's shining swan song. Hopefully the games will not take that long to complete.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Really?! You think? Final Fantasy XIII better be better than the last twelve COMBINED or they're going to get some serious backlash for that. Serious. Frakkin'. Backlash.

Square-Enix, thou hast been warned.