St. George's Day, the English in a nutshell.

Proto325

Mar 19, 2012
I only know because of Google.

Personally I think that generally not giving a toss is the most British way we can celebrate it.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Eleuthera said:
Wait, St.George's day is April 23rd?

It's my name day?

*party* :D
Its also my moms birthday... just saying...

OT: Its kind of shameful really that the right wing in England have hijacked patriotism and nationalism to the point that people dare not declare themselves English not British for fear of backlash.

Personally I think anyone should be able to express themselves and their patriotism for their country whatever it be.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
I think in all my life in Britain, I've only ever seen one person put up a flag/wave a mine flag at anything other than a big even like the Royal wedding. He now refuses to do it because the first three comments he got on it were:
"Stop waving that bloody flag, you're neither burning it or an american."
(Me): "I didn't realise you were daft enough to need a reminder what country you live in."
and "I don't think you get the fact that brits hate other brits yet, do you?"
Oh how I love the life of an englishman *happily sips tea while humming "God save the Queen."*

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
didn't realise it was today, maybe these things would have more significance if it was a national holiday and we could all go out, enjoy the sunshine and sink a pint.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
carlsberg export said:
didn't realise it was today, maybe these things would have more significance if it was a national holiday and we could all go out, enjoy the sunshine and sink a pint.
That would require there to be some actual sunshine, and for heading to the pub for a pint to not already be normal behaviour for a Tuesday.

Bolwing

Mar 5, 2012
EeveeElectro said:
OYAY. TODAY I CAN SNEAK A BIT OF RACISM I USUALLY WOULDN'T GET AWAY WITH WHILST I'M CELEBRATING.

"I'm gonna celebrate St. Georges Day and if you bloody Indians don't like it then GO BACK TO POLAND!"

It's just another day to me because the ones who seem to celebrate it are the idiotic loudmouth The Sun readers who like to get wound up about non-existent problems. Everyone else seems to be "meh" about it. (No one doesn't give a fuck quite like the English)

St Paddy's day on t'other hand... "I am 1/9895768646th Irish and this makes me PROUD! WOO!" *drinks all day*
Hey! They speak the truth. We Poles really are trying to overthrow your government AND take away your jobs. Obviously.

OT: Here in Poland, we have the exact opposite. Since we weren't trying to aggresively dispose of/lord over every minority in our general area before WWII (that changed dramatically during the 50's, though) , a lot of Poles feel entitled to be douchebags to foreigners and run around with big-ass flags while praising Poland.
On a personal note: I wasn't able to buy my copy of Skyrim on release day, 'cause it was Independence Day in here then (11.11.11). All shops closed. Damn.

EDIT: You basically have a Saint Dovahkiin? How the hell haven't I heard about him him before?

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I haven't heard much about St George's today, and I live in Britain... oh dear, goodbye heritage.
Fun fact, today was also the day that Shakespeare was born and also died. Not in the same year, there were a few in between.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
Google told me it was St George's day

No one on my path from home to college and back seemed to care or even acknowledge it was St George's day and for that i am truly thankful

St Patrick > St George

That is all

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Stasisesque said:
Yep, got it in one. Even if I lived properly in Leeds (just on the outskirts at the minute) I'd be much happier because there's just so many different people. Not just ethnic groups but people in general. I'd quite happily sit on a bench in Leeds centre and people watch for hours like the massive weirdo I am.
Nottingham? Really? I didn't think they would have that problem...

Even people outside of Bradford can feel tension when they come visit here. My ex moved here from East Yorkshire and even he understood why there was race riots.

I lived in Hull for a short while and that's one of the whitest cities in the country. I heard quite a bit of racism from the older generation but overall it was an interesting place to live. Apparently there was a Polish market somewhere where I used to live with a sign on the door saying "No English people, please." I can't remember seeing it so I didn't believe them.

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Today in England and various other countries around the world, it is Saint George's Day.

Who is Saint George? I hear you ask?

Well, if the stories are to be believed, he killed a dragon, and as we all know, there's only one way to kill a dragon.

By devouring it's soul.

Yes, George was a Dovahkiin, if that isn't worthy of a sainthood, I don't know what is. He was probably the leader of all the local guilds too.

It is the English equivalent of St. Patrick's Day.

'Why haven't I heard about this?', you may ask. The Irish have their day, as do the Scottish and the Welsh. The Australians have Australia Day, the Americans have the 4th of July, so it only makes sense that the English would have a day to celebrate being English, yes?

Well, not quite.

Depending on where you live, many people will tell you (see: right wing) that we don't celebrate the holiday because it makes the immigrants nervous, political correctness gone mad!

Well, it makes someone nervous, but it isn't the immigrant population.

It makes us nervous.

There's something you have to understand about the English, something that dates back hundreds of years. We've never felt like a minority, we've never felt the need to shout 'Oi, we're English, now shut up you slaaaaaaaag!'

No. We just shot people and nicked their countries instead.

And that's why we're nervous, we dislike nationalism, just look at the EDL and the BNP. Everyone hates them.

We're understated, we don't like to make a fuss, and we certainly don't like feeling like we're 'rubbing it in people's faces'. we don't like flag waving for flag waving's sake.

A lot of communities will celebrate it in their own way, whether it be Morris Dancing, or baking a cake, or a myriad of other small, personal things. You won't see a sea of Saint George's flags waving in London, and you won't hear any cries of 'England, FUCK YEAH!'

No, you'll hear people whining about the immigrants making us feel like 2nd class citizens in our own country.

But ignore those guys, they're plebs :D
White people are only allowed to be proud of their ancestry if their ancestors did not engage in significant colonization of other continents. This means that the British (all of them), Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Germans, Italians, and Belgians are not allowed to be proud of their ancestry. The Irish, Greeks (who are also allowed to be smug), Balkan peoples, Hungarians, Nordics, Baltics, Former Soviets, Czechs, Swiss, Slovaks, Croatians, and such are allowed to be proud (as are tiny country folk).

Austria presents an interesting problem. While basically landlocked as far as colonization goes (and too busy fighting the Ottomans to do much in Africa), they are also quite closely linked with the Germans. Thus, they have a special requirement: To ethically be proud, they must learn at least three times as much about their people's history than Irish, Swiss, Czechs, and such.

Peoples presently involved in tense ethnic conflicts are also discouraged from blind pride. Peoples that are minorities within their own countries (Catalan, Sami, Faroese, and the like) are also allowed significant pride.

If you wish to be proud but descend from colonizing peoples, simply be proud of a smaller area. English? Well, at least you're not some smog-choked Londoner. Scottish? At least you're not some lily-livered Lowlander. This is actually how we do it in the US, unless we're German or English.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
someonehairy-ish said:
carlsberg export said:
That would require there to be some actual sunshine, and for heading to the pub for a pint to not already be normal behaviour for a Tuesday.
pub on a Tuesday!!! someone's doing alright!
as for the weather, today was pretty sunny around my neck of the woods, naturally tommorow will look like the skies over mordor :p

Dec 14, 2009
Res Plus said:
I

Just look at the OP's insinuation that people who celebrate St George's day are a members of the EDL/BNP.
I'd thank you kindly not to presume.

I wasn't insinuating that people who celebrate St. George's day are bigots or racists, I was merely suggesting that a lot of people don't want to get lumped in with the racists.

To put it another way.

All nationalistic racists celebrate St. George's, not all people who celebrate St. George's are nationalistic racists.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I'll find it hard to say im English until someone does in Piers Morgan... COME ON AMERICA! You're mean't to be gun mad, why hasn't someone shot him yet!?

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
PunkRex said:
I'll find it hard to say im English until someone does in Piers Morgan... COME ON AMERICA! You're mean't to be gun mad, why hasn't someone shot him yet!?
Problem, we like the British more so than each other....soo......

Offtopic tangent:

Cinco de Mayo > St.George day

(queues sombrero)

Arriba! Arriba!

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Bertylicious said:
There are some English people who are very nationalistic indeed. You can usually tell who they are when they open a conversation with "I read in the Daily Mail..."
I laughed, thank you.

Its just one of our strange quirks. I talked about it today with a friend and we both agreed that acting all pro British would make us seem like BNP members. I have seen literally nothing to suggest anyone is celebrating this day, it's just too much of a fuss for something that seems a little daft.

I love being British.

[
Res Plus said:
And that is a lovely post even though I had just admited to laughing at the daily mail joke.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I didn't even know it was St George's day, gee guess only us English folk could have a holiday dedicated to us only for us to either not care or not want to celebrate it anyway, because you know what is there so great about being English? It's not like our history is full of gleaming examples of how good we are, you know with all that fucking over of indigenous people from other countries and such, with the raping and pillaging and and all your bases are belong to us.... so yeah we were pretty much dicks with our holidaymakers not at all helping, well at least not the ones going to Malaga thinking it's Blackpool with the sun. You know the ones that go "OI Pedro! Fetch me some fucking real food like an English breakfast and not this foreign shit!"