St. Urho's Day

Zap Rowsdower

Jun 24, 2010
Hey, Escapist. I wanted to know: tomorrow, how many of you will be flying your purple along with me in support of St. Urho's Day? What's St. Urho's Day, you say? Well, it's a primarily Finnish holiday celebrated mainly in Finland, some of the Midwestern US (like myself) and small parts of Canada. Let me tell you the tale of this fantastic day.

St. Urho was created in 1956, by a man in Minnesota, when asked by a co-worker if the Finnish had an equivalent to St. Patrick. The story he told is as follows:
Urho was a boy, or poika, who grew strong on rotten milk and fish soup, and drove all of the pesky grasshoppers out of Finland's grape crop. It is said that his name comes from the president of Finland at the time, Urho Kekkanen. Every March 16, we people of Finn descent wear purple all day, to the detest of the supporters of that other holiday the day after. I hope you Escapees will join me on the grandest of holidays tomorrow!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I used to celebrate it when my grandpa was still alive, he was a Finn, but I haven't in years.

All I do now is just visit my mom and help her make Pulla bread on that day. No one gives a rat's ass about that holiday in Arizona.