STALKER - Which game to start with?

GroundWalker

Jun 3, 2011
So, I've been thinking about getting started with STALKER quite a bit recently, but seeing as it's not a '1-2-3'-based series (or have I gotten that wrong?), I have no idea which one to begin with. (Not just counting when released, nor story based.)

So my question is this, which one should I begin with, and why?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'd say start with Shadows of Chernobyl, then Call of Pripyat. Clear Sky takes place before both.
SOH will get you settled into the setting, and the COP has more refined gameplay.

Delta2501

Mar 31, 2010
Shadow of Chenobyl (the first released) is fine, but be sure to try the "STALKER Complete" mod which restores a ton of content and useful features (e.g. ability to sleep to pass time) and brings a huge graphical upgrade (just turn off the motion blurr feature if it causes slowdown).

I seriously recommend it (the mod also works on the others, but is especially helpful in removing some the disadvantages of the earlier games in the series like inability to repair equipment). The mod makes the game look amazing while still running on my laptop which is so old it has trouble with HL: Episode 2.

GroundWalker

Jun 3, 2011
Ooo, looks like I'll be able to play it while on the move then, even better.
Shadow of Chernobyl it is then, will have to install it to my laptop before holidays so I'll be able to play on the bus trip home.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
GroundWalker said:
Shadow of Chernobyl it is then, will have to install it to my laptop before holidays so I'll be able to play on the bus trip home.
I would still encourage you to try Call of Pripyat, with the Complete Mod of course. Adds a ton of new features to the game, such as daily emissions, which are terrifying and awesome.

Chuck Meadows

Apr 25, 2011
Clear Sky is the one I played first. Then COP. Then the first. No reason for it, but just be prepared for the first not having the upgrade and armor system that the second and third have.

HerrBobo

Jun 3, 2008
I played them like this SoC, CoP and CS.

That was because I did not like CS the first time and gave up on it. I'd play them in the order they came out that way there is a nice progression of features and game play.

Make sure you spend the time fully patching all three games, this will make a huge difference in terms of stability. Like others said, I would get the Complete Mod for all three games.

Also, quick save, all the time. I mean ALL the time.

Zoe Castillo

Mar 4, 2011
shadow of chernobyl + complete mod
http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

seriously get the complete mod it fixes a lot of the bugs and makes the game better looking and more atmospheric

also play the game in Russian if you know any

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
As a related subject, Shadow of Chernobyl is 33% off on Steam, but I don't know how well Steam games work with non-Source mods.

But nonetheless, yeah, SoC is a good start.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Romidude said:
Call Of Pripyat. It's the most recent, and best.
Best is subjective, it has the best gunplay and a smooth interaface etc....but

The "shit my pants" award still goes to shadow of Chernobyl, the underground levels gimme the creeps just thinking about it :p

GroundWalker

Jun 3, 2011
Played about 5 hours of Shadow of Chernobyl now, and I've got to say it did not let me down.
But yeah, quick save...my god have it saved my ass a good few times during these 5 hours.
If the other 2 games are like this, then at least I have 2 other titles to write up on my 'to-play-list'.

Thanks for all the advice.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
GroundWalker said:
I would still encourage you to try Call of Pripyat, with the Complete Mod of course. Adds a ton of new features to the game, such as daily emissions, which are terrifying and awesome.
It had daily emissions beforehand, complete just made them do something other than just kill everything. I really need to do a full playthrough of that game again since I installed the complete mod, but never played very far into it.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
GroundWalker said:
Played about 5 hours of Shadow of Chernobyl now, and I've got to say it did not let me down.
But yeah, quick save...my god have it saved my ass a good few times during these 5 hours.
If the other 2 games are like this, then at least I have 2 other titles to write up on my 'to-play-list'.

Basically yeah, although clear sky is a crash-fest for some reason, the complete mod helps but it still crashes much more than the 2 others, good game though.

Did you do one of the underground labs yet ? :)

GroundWalker

Jun 3, 2011
Mekado said:
GroundWalker said:

Basically yeah, although clear sky is a crash-fest for some reason, the complete mod helps but it still crashes much more than the 2 others, good game though.

Did you do one of the underground labs yet ? :)
Nah...I've played almost no missions at all yet. Just been running around exploring.
Going to do some missions now though, I'll see how far I get.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
GroundWalker said:
Also, is it possible to get hold of a guitar of my own? :D
Yes it is! though you can't play it :(

...And there's only 1 time you can get one, it's a quest reward...just for funsies though :)

GroundWalker

Jun 3, 2011
:/

Just eliminated the military outpost right next to the place you start...kinda hard...but oh so worth it.