Stan Lee Wants to Merge Marvel and Star Wars Universes

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Stan Lee Wants to Merge Marvel and Star Wars Universes

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1258/1258284.gif

In all seriousness, does anyone actually think this is a good idea? The online reaction thus far has seemed to range between "No" and "Has the old man finally lost it?!" with some going as far as to call this a blatant cash-grab move by the legendary comic book writer (who already has more money than God, I would assume). Even as someone who is admittedly not the most knowledgeable Star Wars or Marvel fan, the logistics of pulling off a crossover the likes of this just seems...staggering. The Avengers: Infinity Wars two-parter is already set to include some 67 characters from the Marvel universe (or something close to it [http://www.vinereport.com/article/avengers.infinity.wars.news.russo.brothers.clears.up.67.characters.statement.by.explaining.how.big.the.two.part.movie.will.be/6723.htm]) and we're talking about adding all the Star Wars characters to that?!

I'm tired just thinking about it. Thankfully, we'll have until at least 2019 to mull this insanity over, when both Infinity Wars and Episode IX will be wrapping up. In the meantime, check out Oswalt's aforementioned proposition below.

Source: The Big Issue [http://www.bigissue.com/the-mix/news/6152/stan-lee-interview-imagine-spider-man-saying-may-the-force-be-with-you]

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Could probably get something like that in Kingdom Hearts, not the scale of the MCU but a few of the characters interacting with each other.

Actually you don't even need Kingdom Hearts, because Disney Infinity is a thing I keep forgetting exists.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
One Marvel character had this to say about merging the Rebellion and the Avengers:
I AM GROOT
I am Groot indeed, sir.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
Why not stop there?

Why not include Disney's cartoon universe as well! When not have Steve, Luke and Mickey team up to fight Loki, Vader and Syndrome.

syl3r

Oct 21, 2014
exobook said:
Why not stop there?

Why not include Disney's cartoon universe as well! When not have Steve, Luke and Mickey team up to fight Loki, Vader and Syndrome.
all from the perspective of inside the head of groot, "inside out"-style.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Cross over, yes (I mean there was a Star Trek cross over once). A merge universe? Not so much but in saying so Marvel and DS have been known for making new or rebooting their universe so it is possible.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I once had the thought that the disney mergers would lead to spiderman fighting stormtroopers. Glad to see I was in no way paranoid about this going through marketings head, because I can't see marketing not considering it now.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Ahh, the Apature Science aproach to developement.

Cave Johnson said:
I'll be honest, we're throwing sciencecomics at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out."

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
How would this be a cash grab? Stan Lee gets money from royalties for stuff based off his characters (and sometimes he gets Executive Producer credit). Adding Star Wars to the mix wouldn't get him any more money than if Disney just continued to make more Marvel movies.

On a related note, my friends and I always joked that after Disney bought Star Wars that the next Ultimate Alliance game would just be Disney's Ultimate Alliance. The plot of the first game could be Patton Oswalt's filibuster plot.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Morti said:
Ahh, the Apature Science aproach to developement.

Cave Johnson said:
I'll be honest, we're throwing sciencecomics at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out."
We do what we want, because we can.
For the profits for all of us,
Except the ones who are dead.
Well there's no use crying over every mistake.
We just keep on filming till we run out of tape.
So the story gets done and we make a neat film
For the people who are still alive.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
There aren't many things in this world that I know, beyond all doubt, to be true. Star Wars taking place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away is one of those few things.

No. GOD no. If Disney wants to get cute and have, like, a group of Groot-like creatures be present at a galactic senate meeting in Episode VIII, that's one thing. But concocting some sort of story to have Luke Skywalker battling evil robots en masse in the streets of New York alongside Iron Man is going about twelve parsecs too far.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
They might try a crossover movie when the Marvel Cinematic Universe starts running out of steam, or the whole "one Star Wars movie a year" plan falls apart.

Maybe a TV series, video game, or comic would be a better way to test this out before they get that desperate.

As far as full-on mergers go, let's not go past the Warhammer Fantasy/Warhammer 40K method of just suggesting another universe is beyond some magical phenomenon (Chaos Gods optional).

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
A crossover in video games Kingdom Hearts style (or simply in Kingom Hearts) is one thing, a stupid comic like the two X-men/Star Trek crossovers is one thing, but having the two universes merge is another, and is quite stupid. It wouldn't even make sense due to the fact Star Wars is explicitly a think in the MCU, we can see it in product placement seeing items derived from it, as well as cultural references being dropped on a regular basis.

It's fun for a stupid game or comic book, not for anything official.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Lets be honest, Stan Lee was never a fount of artistic integrity. He's a holdover from the goofiest era of comic books. This sort of thing probably makes perfect sense to him.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'll let Darth Vader do the talking for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
While it is already kind of true--Star Wars does say it takes place in a galaxy far, far away, not in an alternate world or anything like that--merging them is a terrible, terrible idea. No. Just no. Take that idea and put it back in its box and toss the boss into the Abyss.