Stand-up Comedians

ParanoidAndroid

Apr 2, 2011
Favourites: Flight of the Conchords and Michael McIntyre.
I don't watch enough stand up comedy to have a least favourite.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
By Golly Amphoteric I don't know where we would be without you to watch over our spelling! (meant as playful banter not flamming)

And I wasn't being serious either, I just thought it was funny although I'd imagine Dara must get annoyed.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Amphoteric said:
Vault Citizen said:
By Golly Amphoteric I don't know where we would be without you to watch over our spelling! (meant as playful banter not flamming)

And I wasn't being serious either, I just thought it was funny although I'd imagine Dara must get annoyed.
At least people generally know how to pronounce it, speaking from experience that is more annoying.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Lewis Black, Patton Oswalt, Dmitri Martin and Dave Chappelle.

Honorable mention to Daniel Tosh, who is mostly great, but has his weak moments.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Favorite: The ones that are good.

Least Favorite: The ones that are not.

Nerdstar

Apr 29, 2011
Lewis black,george Carlin, richard pryor,denis leery,Chris rock,Ron White, etc,etc basically i like all comedians but the "i hate everything"world wery cynic comedians are my favorites

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
These have all probably been said, but George Carlin got me started, and I got into Bill Hicks, Louis C.K., David Cross, and Patton Oswalt. Also, Paul F. Tompkins is pretty awesome.

As for bad ones, Dane Cook is the deceiver. Add Daniel Tosh, Russel Brandt, and all the members of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour to that list.

Edit: I forgot Maria Bamford. She is BRILLIANT. Seriously, look her up on YouTube NOW.

Apr 28, 2008
Dave Chappelle, Ron White, Lewis Black, Gabrial Iglasias, Christopher Titus, and Jim Gaffigan are my favorites.

Least favorites are... well most of everyone else I guess. Don't really hate any though, and can stand all of 'em to a certain degree.

oldmeme

Jul 9, 2008
Don't know too many American stand-ups so this is for the BBC watching crowd mainly:

Dara O' Briain for me is still miles ahead of other comics these days. It's because he interacts with the audience, building up jokes on the spot that I love about him. Many other comics feel tired and not as quick-witted as him to me these days.

However I really dislike Micheal McIntyre and Sarah Millican. They've cover the "cooky friend" style comedian that I don't care for, and they get so much exposure and are lauded as fantastic modern comics. I just don't get it.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
urahara75 said:
Heresy!... ;C
Just kidding, though I see how his spastic delivery & mid-to-hi alto voice can rub comic fans the wrong way.
Yeah, I can see why people like him 'cause he's definitely unique, but I don't find his delivery or material funny, unfortunately, D:

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I've probably gotten the most laughs out of Frankie Boyle. If you haven't seen him, look him up!

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
Favourite? Bill Bailey or Sean Lock. Don't make me chooose!

Least favourite? Michael Mcintyre and 80% of the comedians on his 'comedy roadshow', as well as most guests on Mock the Week. They contain comedians who are all exactly the same, their humour consisting of nothing more than "You ever notice X? Isn't that really funny!". There is nothing clever or witty to it.

FunKing

May 17, 2010
so many favorites....Mitch Headburg, George Carlin(who damn near raised me as a child...well on cassette and record)...Sam Kinison, Bill Hicks, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Steven Wright....damn near any comedian that appeared on "Dr. Katz".....

least favorite?...there are a lot....but i honestly cant think of any of their names...larry the cable guy is deffinatly one....he's from this area, used to listen to him every morning when he used to call into a local radio station everyday.....it made me violently annoyed at work

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
Best: The Blue Collar comedians, Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy, and my favorite, Bill Engvall. I know most of it is stupid humor, but I think it's funny.

Worst: I might need a flame shield for this, but George Carlin and Lewis Black. I've listened to several of their tracks on Pandora, and I have not found any of it funny.

Honourable Mentions:Louis CK and John Caparulo.

Mo-shi

Mar 27, 2011
I like Louis C.K., Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant, Demitri Martin, John Dore, Gabrial Iglesias, and Russel Peters. : )

I don't really like Daniel Tosh, Dane Cook, Zac Galifinakis(?), that one guy with the puppets ... yeah. I used to like Dane Cook, but I think that was because I was 12.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
My top three are probably Kyle Cease, Jon Benjamin and Anthony Jeselnik. Jeselnik is awesome and I wish more people knew of him. He's playing at a comedy club about 45 minutes from my house, but you have to be 18 and that's upseting. My brother's going and I'm angry, but I hope he has a good time.

Now for Jeselnik making fun of my least favorite comedian.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
I really like John Pinette. He mainly makes jokes about his (fictional) experiences with being fat. One good thing about him as that he never scolds, wich I think is mature of him and makes me appreciate him more.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Dammit OP, you ninja'd me! Eddie Izzard is awesome. Although he's gotten a bit angrier now I think. Angry comedy never did it for me.

All my other favourites have also already been mentioned, but (in no particular order) put me down for Michael McIntyre, Tim Minchin, Bill Bailey, Dylan Moran. There are probably a few more who's names escape me and they've probably been mentioned already too.