Standard fantasy enemies- are they the same?

Shadowfaze

Jul 15, 2009
I just noticed something.

The Darkspawn of Dragon age: origins. They are a lot like orcs, right? What about the Super Mutants of Fallout 3? well, yeah, they also seem... orcish. Green sin, loud voices...limited vocabulary...lust for violence...

then of course theres the waves and waves of ACTUAL orcs we slaughtered on every generic fantasy game ever... bar a couple of odd ones...

Do we need a new type of standard fantasy enemy? post your thoughts, escapists!

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
New monsters are easy to think up, but people are lazy.
I also think some monsters need reinventing; like the dwarves. If they live underground where do they get food from? Where do they get their Vitamin D?
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
Who cares? They're ugly so its ok to kill them! Thats why so many hookers turn up dead!
It's also why I haven't been arrested yet.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
We should exterminate hoardes of Swedish Pizzeria Restauranteers that refuse to pretend to be Italian. That ones for you HUBILUB.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah...now that you mention it.

For example: What standard attack element are zombies weak to in nearly every fantasy game?

Shadowfaze

Jul 15, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

For example: What standard attack element are zombies weak to in nearly every fantasy game?
Kill them with fire!!!

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
And this is exactly the reason why I play a JRPG once in a while... get away from the damn orcs.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Shadowfaze said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Kill them with fire!!!
We have a winner!
*hands you a "Sword of +42 Fire"*

HollywoodH17

Jan 6, 2010
I was always proud of Oblivion for opening the fantasy doors, at least a little, as far as this is concerned. Gone are the trite conventions of "teh dwarfs live in teh mountains and mine and are short!!1" and "teh elfs live in teh treez" and, for the most part, the main enemies aren't terribly orc-like. There are all kinds of fauna that attack you, and the humanoid enemies are either humans, or demons. Granted, Oblivion didn't get away from demons... but what else are you going to use as baddies, if not demons or orcs? Nazis?

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Shadowfaze said:
Do we need a new type of standard fantasy enemy? post your thoughts, escapists!
Because Orcs are broadly defined as inherently evil or at least mean, strong, a bit thick and brutish. Seeing as this is the case its not so much that all fantasy games have Orcs but rather all evil-fantasy races that are thuggish and brutish could be defined as orcs because the concept is so broad.

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
Orcs are good enemies. They are big, strong, violent, stupid and unlikable. I like them only in games where you have to man up before attacking orcs, like in Gothic and Gothic 2 where i was scared of orcs. One orc could kill me with one hit at the start and even at the end i couldn't attack 4 of them at a time.
If a game has orcs in it, make them very powerful, not your only enemies to grind exp.

SilvanTyl

Dec 8, 2009
Ryuk2 said:
If a game has orcs in it, make them very powerful, not your only enemies to grind exp.
That's why Kobolds and Goblins were invented, wasn't it?

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
Who cares? They're ugly so its ok to kill them! Thats why so many hookers turn up dead!
This guy has stumbled upon the point, either sardonically or by accident. Enemies are purposefully made as ugly as possible to make you not so hesistant about killing them. Orcs/super mutants/goblins etc are (from our point of view) misshapen things and therefore lower than us, almost as if we are offended by their presence. When it comes to killing other humans a similar tactic is used, instead of brutalizing their appearance we demonise their personality and actions, hence why so many WW2 games portray the Nazis as moustache-twirling baby eaters.

It's not coincidental that we keep coming across 'grotesque' creatures as enemies and pillars of mesculinity/femininity as heroes.