Star Citizen Gets Luxurious with the 300i

Corralis

Nov 12, 2009
Maybe it's not important but the one thing that no one seems to be talking about is that this advert has been done in-engine. I honestly thought it was CGI when I first saw the video. I even said to myself while watching that someone has learned to do CGI well over at Cloud Imperium Games. If what we are seeing there is what we are going to get when the game is released then the immersion factor alone is gonna be worth the $140 I have already put into this game.

Tyran107

Nov 14, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I want a successor to Wing Commander.
You do realize this is being made by the same guy who...made wing commander yes?? From the videos they have on their main site I'm sure you will find what they're doing a worthy successor :)

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Tyran107 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
You do realize this is being made by the same guy who...made wing commander yes?? From the videos they have on their main site I'm sure you will find what they're doing a worthy successor :)
Yeah, but I'm hoping for Wing Commander 6, while worried it'll be Privateer 3 :p

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Kalezian said:
whelp, now I do got to get abetter gaming PC.

now we just need more 4x games and even more space sims and I might stay a PC gamer.
Well, the vast majority of 4X games are on PC, many of them exclusive to PC. And the very few space sims that are around these days are also pretty much all on PC.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
digital warrior said:
I find it hilarious that companies have been telling us for years, space sims, or strategy games don't sell, than kickstarter comes along and these games get like 10 mil. Now i know that these are niche markets but they are still viable market, stuff like the new x-com game prove that. Ha look at me looking for proper budgeting and foresight from game companies I must live in a fantasy world
I think what they mean is space sims like this don't sell to the "dudebro" crowd, therefore a space sim can't become the next Call of Doody and make all the executives rich. Therefore, most AAA studios aren't interested in making them. But fans of the genre have been hopefully awaiting something like this since X-Wing vs TIE Fighter (or since I-War 1 and 2, for those who have heard of them) and now that someone is finally making the game we have all been waiting for we cannot throw money at it fast enough.

Edit: Oh, and the X series does not really count because it's rather dull and kinda crap.

Thuggych

Mar 5, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Tyran107 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Yeah, but I'm hoping for Wing Commander 6, while worried it'll be Privateer 3 :p
It's actually kind of both, based on what I've seen. The game is divided into 2 parts "Squadron 42" which will be very much a Wing Commander-style single player campaign, and "Star Citizen" which is more MMO/Sandbox Freelancer. They also claim there will be more SP expansions/DLC as the game matures (which is why they're making these promotional pushes to finance an in-house mocap studio)

I personally only decided to back the game when I heard about Squadron 42, as I have similar reservations as you.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Desert Punk said:
God I hope they do one of these for the Constellation which is the ship RSI is giving me...
Isn't that the $250 pledge ship?

I myself pledged for the 300i shown in the video.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Desert Punk said:
God I hope they do one of these for the Constellation which is the ship RSI is giving me...
To be fair, they do have that gorgeous brochure for the Constellation. Incidentally, that is the ship I have already bought myself. I love how the interior of these ships is fully laid out. Most of them have room to get out of the seat and walk around inside a little but I have to feel sorry for whoever is going to be flying a Hornet - there's no interior space other than the cockpit in those, so the pilot's going to have to either wear a nappy or put up with a catheter.

This tempts me to also buy a 300i just as a little personal runabout for when I don't want to drag out the great big Constellation.

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
infohippie said:
Desert Punk said:
To be fair, they do have that gorgeous brochure for the Constellation. Incidentally, that is the ship I have already bought myself. I love how the interior of these ships is fully laid out. Most of them have room to get out of the seat and walk around inside a little but I have to feel sorry for whoever is going to be flying a Hornet - there's no interior space other than the cockpit in those, so the pilot's going to have to either wear a nappy or put up with a catheter.

This tempts me to also buy a 300i just as a little personal runabout for when I don't want to drag out the great big Constellation.
I did the pledge level for the Hornet myself, and just put down money for the 300I add-on for just that reason.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
synobal said:
Kinda a fail ad in my opinion. Advertising for a spaceship yet only showing in atmosphere flight. Talking about speed while showing it going at what is no doubt it's slowest speeds. Also it looks an awful lot like an airplane, I do hope that the creators of this game understand that space combat is not air combat.
I'd say that was an appropriate advert. It's supposed to be "in universe" so to speak, just look at modern car adverts, even the fastest speed cars ain't allowed to properly advertise it because they're not supposed (or allowed) to promote speeding. It's not presented to us as gamers in a fourth wall aimed way, it's aimed at customers in a fictional universe. I'm pretty sure Chris Roberts knows what he's doing for space combat, he's pretty much the go to guy when it comes to the classics in the genre.

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
I'm pleased with the ad and I'm so glad I upgraded from an Aurora to a 300i. I can't wait for the new site to go live!