Star Citizen Won't Be "Dumbed Down" For Consoles

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Star Citizen Won't Be "Dumbed Down" For Consoles

Star Citizen creator Chris Roberts issued a PC-positive response to complaints about a PlayStation 4 devkit that was seen on the desk of the company's chief technology officer.

Roberts Space Industries CTO Jason Spangler's appearance in the most recent Wingman's Hangar [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQpchP8aXas] video caused an uproar among supporters after some of them spied a PS4 devkit on his desk. A minor thing, you might think, but the backlash was swift and strong enough that Roberts felt compelled to respond at length.

"Star Citizen IS a PC game. It will NEVER be dumbed down for a lesser platform. We will NOT limit the input options or supported peripherals to the lowest common denominator. We will NOT pass on features and technology just because they will only run on some hardware configurations," Roberts wrote in a forum post.

"I LOVE the PC as a platform because it is open, is always moving forward, with new powerful components (usually at cheaper prices) becoming available to gamers available every year," he continued. "The PC platform is great because it isn't static. It doesn't have rules or some controlling entity that decides what will and won't be in the eco system. If a cool new disruptive technology like the Oculus Rift comes along it can have a chance to gain traction and become the next big thing."

Roberts also insisted that Star Citizen will never be released for the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 and said that Xbox One and PS4 versions would only be considered if Microsoft and Sony "allow us to update the code and data without restrictions and odious time consuming QC procedures [and] allow our community to openly interact with each other across platforms."

"If Sony or Microsoft are willing to let their platform be open, then I see no real difference between them or Valve's Steambox, a Mac or a PC running Linux, all of which are platforms that I don't think this community would mind supporting as they are all viewed as 'PCs'," he wrote. "But this is a big IF as it's asking a lot. To their credit Sony seems to be the most eager to embrace indie games and the idea of openness, and they chased us down to give us some dev kits to play with but we've been very clear on what it would take to get Star Citizen onto PS4."

Roberts also talked about opting to support AMD's Mantle and how the team doesn't need to "sell out" to console platform holders because of Star Citizen's huge crowdfunding success, and thankfully he also touched on how the reaction that spurred this whole thing is a little bit crazy - but not necessarily in a bad way. "While some could view the 1+1 = 256 logic that it required to come to the conclusion that we were ditching the PC for PS4 as an overreaction it does show how passionate everyone is in this community about the PC as the best gaming platform, which warms my heart!" he wrote.

Star Citizen is currently approaching $28 million in crowdfunding.

Source: Roberts Space Industries [https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/76653/star-citizen-pc-ps4-and-consoles]

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I wonder if he came out and said this because of the train wreck that was X:Rebirth. Boy did I get taken for a ride on that one.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Mark my words, this game will be the end of crowdfunding.
I wish it would do fine, though. I really miss space sims.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
It will NEVER be dumbed down for a lesser platform. We will NOT limit the input options or supported peripherals to the lowest common denominator.
Lays it on a bit thick, doesn't he?

Fair enough, it's the Glorious PC Master Race that's funding this thing, but he's whoring to them pretty hard here.

Which... is yet another rock this ship may founder upon. Star Citizen already has this rather elitest, cultish vibe around it, and this will do nothing to alleviate that. If it doesn't turn out to be the Best Thing Evar (spoiler alert: it won't be) then it's going to get crucified by those who haven't bought into the hype, and even more so by those who did and find themselves disapointed.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Sixcess said:
It will NEVER be dumbed down for a lesser platform. We will NOT limit the input options or supported peripherals to the lowest common denominator.

Fair enough, it's the Glorious PC Master Race that's funding this thing, but he's whoring to them pretty hard here.

Which... is yet another rock this ship may founder upon. Star Citizen already has this rather elitest, cultish vibe around it, and this will do nothing to alleviate that. If it doesn't turn out to be the Best Thing Evar (spoiler alert: it won't be) then it's going to get crucified by those who haven't bought into the hype, and even more so by those who did and find themselves disapointed.
Different people will react different ways, but saying it needs to be the "Best Thing Evar" is a bit of a stretch. It's a modern day Space Sim, for fans of the long forgotten genre. So all it needs to be is a great space sim, and most people should be happy.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
wombat_of_war said:
from what they were promising and if they manage to pull it off i highly doubt even my brand new pc could run the damn thing and it runs everything on max settings so far as for the consoles i highly doubt it could run on them .. which of course sounds like they are scaling back on their plans ...
That's not necessarily true. While the as-promised PC version of Star Citizen looks like it'll beat up i7s and punch Titans in the sac if you turn all the bells and whistles on, there's nothing to say that a next-gen console version couldn't work if they dialed down a lot of features for that version.

As a PC title the game would almost certainly have a fair amount of scalability built into it otherwise you're cutting yourself off from a bulk of your potential customers. If the game can be scaled down low enough to run on a mid-range 'gaming' laptop then it they should be able to shoehorn it onto a next-gen console. Nexxt-gen consoles may lack a lot of raw computational grunt but they're not doorsteps... unless, apparently, you got a PS4 from amazon.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
RandV80 said:
Different people will react different ways, but saying it needs to be the "Best Thing Evar" is a bit of a stretch. It's a modern day Space Sim, for fans of the long forgotten genre. So all it needs to be is a great space sim, and most people should be happy.
It doesn't even need to be great.

Hell, if you make the game easy to mod and release the software to run private servers you can get away with a mediocre game. Look at all the people who still get moist at the mention of Freelancer.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
RandV80 said:
It doesn't even need to be great.

Hell, if you make the game easy to mod and release the software to run private servers you can get away with a mediocre game. Look at all the people who still get moist at the mention of Freelancer.
And another bonus, if things work out right it could shape up to be a 'killer app' to launch with the Occulus Rift. Now a VR headset could be awesome for nearly anything, but a space sim allowing you to naturally look out & around your cockpit, rather than staring straight at a rectangle shaped screen and following arrows along the edges, should really add to the experience.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
MinionJoe said:
Rather early to talk about "dumbing down" when there's no actual gameplay yet.

Maybe they'll dumb it down for the people who paid $28 million for some 3D models.
Well he did release a hangar demo for us that pledged a certain amount and got a ship, and so far it looks great, don't understand all the hate on this game just because its going through kickstarter, but then again considering all the ripoffs that have been going on, I guess I can't blame you for being cautious

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
RandV80 said:
Sixcess said:

Since when are people considering this the "Best thing evar"
IDK I am excited about it since we haven't had a decent space sim on any console, and I get sick and tired of all the console exclusives, nice to see someone actually cater to PC players, but yeah people are excited but I don't get why people who haven't bought this game get this "cultish" vibe from it, then again I am part of the "PC gaming master race" so maybe I'm not at liberty to judge what a console gamer would think, and yeah if someone said something about keeping it exclusive to consoles and ignoring PC I guess I would be pissed as well

EDIT: Sorry didn't see whole article, yeah the people freaking out just because he had a PS4 dev kit was really stupid and childish, heaven forbid a game dev be allowed to experiment for fun a little bit... Now the elitist vibe you get I understand, but trust me not all backers are like that

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Ok I'm sure Star Citizen is a good game. Actually I'm planning on getting it but did this guy really just do that? He really did just take pot shots at consoles. I'm sorry but that's just kind of a dick move in my opinion. Turns off potential buyers and converts to this oh-so-great PC master race. *points at self*. Just saying.