Star Control 2 - Interstellar Awesome

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Control 2 - Interstellar Awesome

Star Control 2 is a massive experience filled with exploration, action and some of the funniest aliens you'll run into any video game. A must play for space loving gamers.

Read Full Article

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
For people interested in the game: there's a remake/improvement/etc. called "The Ur-Quan Masters", which is freely available for consumption (and open-source, to boot), and fixes many of the problems and ease-of-use issues that were noted in the review to detract from the game. Here's a link to the project's front-page. [http://sc2.sourceforge.net/]

Star Control 2 is based on Starflight, which in turn is also the inspiration for Mass Effect, so it's little wonder that the comparison exists... SC2 is the big-brother of the game that Mass Effect poorly attempted to parrot by changing an exploration game full of intrigue into a meh-class shooter...

Also, relatedly, both SC2 and Starflight have Genesis releases, which I'd recommend checking out for my fellow retro-gamers, if nothing else to compare to the original to see the differences and improvements therein, and how console gaming and comp gaming can work the same crowds with only slight variations and a little bit of attention to detail.

This review is spot-on, and I'm happy if more people see these pieces of history.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
This is without a doubt one of my favorite games of all time.

It is my understanding that the rights have recently gone back to the original creators, and they are working on a new game, to be published by Stardock, if I remember correctly.

Star Control 3 pales in comparison. Avoid it.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
Star Control 3 was made by different people, and boy does it show. The game really sucks. And doesn't even make sense.

Star Control 2, on the other hand, is one of those game that just doesn't age. The graphics aren't up to our modern standards, but you don't *care*. The game is just that awesome. And I have to say that it's organic space exploration and encounter systems are just astoundingly high quality. It'd say it easily stands up to any game made today. Heck, it even outshines a lot of them!

For those looking to try the game, get yourself Spathi Eluders and learn how to use them! A properly piloted Spathi Eluder can beat almost anything if you're patient, including Ur-Quan ships. There's a Hypermelee practice mode you can boot up, and you absolutely should. The Hypermelee combat is easy to learn and difficult to master, which in my opinion is the perfect formula for hours of fun. There really is tons of nuance in there, all with some fairly straightforward controls.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
I wonder what a real successor to this game would look like. Not an "HD remake", i.e. the same game with shinier graphics, but a modern update to the formula. Basically, what Enemy Unknown did for XCOM, I would like to see a Star Control 4 do for this series.

XX Y XY

Apr 2, 2011
Makes me so happy every time I see this game come up. :D This game has the best mix of story, challenge, and tight game play that I've ever experienced in a game. Easily my #1 game I've played to date. Could go on for hours about the reasons I love this game. For anyone that's wondering if this one is worth the time to get past the steep learning curve, good lord yes. Get it from either from GOG or the Ur-Quan Masters download site someone mentioned above. It will change your idea of what a good game should be.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
This game is for many *campers* a *dance* we can really *smell*.

So much *smiling* as we enjoy the *sauce.*

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
DracoSuave said:

This post is a perfect example of why The Escapist needs a recommendation or thanks system for posts.

Magnificent.

Grim Sterling

Dec 27, 2013
Heck I played the shareware DEMo for this back in college and even THAT was significantly epic. Gave you a handful of planets to explore, several alien encounters to try and negotiate (or fight) and had me hooked. I only played the first star control extensively (on the Genesis) but I own this series off GOG so def about time i brush off this beast and give it another go.

Have you guys taken a look at ALBION? old sci fi game my mother had for pc in the DOS days, I recall it having an interesting mix of viewpoints and stuff but was fairly slow paced (or maybe it was her PC at the time.. not sure).

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Don Incognito said:
DracoSuave said:

This post is a perfect example of why The Escapist needs a recommendation or thanks system for posts.

Magnificent.
Perhaps when Escapist Culture 20 is defeated by Escapist Culture 21, if such a thing is part of a superior culture.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
This is one of those games I LOVE to play, but also feel bad when I realize how much better it could be with some updated graphics and mechanics.

While, overall, the game is pretty darn pefect...
Dat Interface.
Oi vey!

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
If only Mass Effect 3 had taken more of its cues from this game... it's a classic for good reason.

Serinanth

Apr 29, 2009
Aitamen said:
For people interested in the game: there's a remake/improvement/etc. called "The Ur-Quan Masters", which is freely available for consumption (and open-source, to boot), and fixes many of the problems and ease-of-use issues that were noted in the review to detract from the game. Here's a link to the project's front-page. [http://sc2.sourceforge.net/]

Star Control 2 is based on Starflight, which in turn is also the inspiration for Mass Effect, so it's little wonder that the comparison exists... SC2 is the big-brother of the game that Mass Effect poorly attempted to parrot by changing an exploration game full of intrigue into a meh-class shooter...

Also, relatedly, both SC2 and Starflight have Genesis releases, which I'd recommend checking out for my fellow retro-gamers, if nothing else to compare to the original to see the differences and improvements therein, and how console gaming and comp gaming can work the same crowds with only slight variations and a little bit of attention to detail.

This review is spot-on, and I'm happy if more people see these pieces of history.
I never picked up Star Control, I think I am going to need to do that considering I still have my Genesis Copy of StarFlight and I still play it from time to time.

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
So glad this amazing game had finally been reviewed. How many of you out there actually started with Star Control I? It was the only one my old PC could run, back in the days of Hercules/[PHIX.EXE] CGA. There were actually differences to the space melee.

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
One of the all time classic games that seem to be tragically overlooked.

It has everything, exploration, combat, adventure and a great story with intelligent and funny dialogue.

Oh and the awesome music.

I would love to see the game get an XCOM style re-make as this classic needs to be allowed to reach a wider audience.

It was a shame about 3, but given that Accolade wanted the creators to make 3 for the same money they made 2 for (which left them working for nothing for several months) you can understand why they passed on it.

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
For those who are interested, there is an HD remake of Star Control 2 for free here: http://urquanmastershd.com/