Star Control Reboot Emerges From the Wreckage of Atari

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
You know, theres a lot of valid hate for stardock. Their games aren't perfect-- Space 4x is my genre-- which means i've had shit since MoO2. I didn't care for GalCiv. I didn't care for sins, never played demigod, and the fact I got fallen enchantress legends for free tells you a lot about elemental.

you know what I do like though? Star Control 2. And I'm happier with the Dock at the helm than I am with many of the other companies out there.

Lets see how gearbox does with homeworld eh?

eh?

eh?

eh?

eh?

hrm

evilneko said:
I must nitpick.

Star Control 2 could be called a remake of Starflight. It certainly has more similarities with that game than with Mass Effect after all.

However, Star Control is not, in any sense of the word, a remake of Starflight.

[small]And we shall not speak of that... third game...[/small]

A spiritual successor to Starflight 1 and 2 was released in the early 90s. It was called Protostar. IIRC, it is available on GOG. Failing that, it can be picked up on Abandonia and runs fairly easily in DosBox.
I'm with you. The fact that the reapers are loosely similar to the Kohr-Ah is insufficient for me to consider them the same game. Every game with a dragon in it isn't just "fucking super mario brothers reskinned bitches"

The kohr-ah are awesome. I'd put an analog of them in any game. Well, them and the tyranids. And the necrons. And the Ur-Quan. And the spathi.

There are so many interesting and memorable species in the StarCon universe; I have trouble remembering the ones from ME..

of course, the syreen are pretty much the blue chicks.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
This news brought to mind another old PC game, and I can not for the life of me remember the title.

It was sort of like chess. You chose your own team of fantasy/magical creatures (trolls, illusionists, elementals, knights, etc), set them up on a randomly generated "board" that had features like rocks and trees and ponds and whatnot. Each individual creature had a special power they could use on the board (for instance, water elementals could transport from any pond to any other pond on the board). The object was to kill the other side's "king". And when two pieces came together, there would be a Star Control-like top-down battle sequence, very similar, right down to there being three levels of zoom depending on how far apart the combatants were.

Anybody remember the title for this? I looked at Accolade's game list, as well as Toys For Bob's, and nothing rang a bell.

XX Y XY

Apr 2, 2011
mfeff said:
Star Control was already remade its called Mass Effect.

I had planned on making a video that highlighted all of the similarities between the 2 series but I don't have the time at the moment. So here's some highlights that would have been included.

Star control 2
Precursor = Prothean -Advanced race from previous galactic cleansing cycle
Planet Lander = Mako -Vehicle for resource gathering and exploration
Syreen = Asari Both -games had option to have sex with blue humanoid alien

Star Control 3
Cosmic Un-Devolver = Citadel -MacGuffin to restore natural order to the galaxy
Daktaklakpak = Keepers -Race left behind by ancient race to maintain and operate above MacGuffin
Eternal Ones = Reapers -Race that cleanses sentient life from the galaxy in a cycle

These are the vids of the precursor explaining the plot of Star Control 3. Too many similar plot elements to list here so just watch.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V8AY80GIqw
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQqkTLZs8XU
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JM3-tr4rAM
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMbqJCpxhBc

While both series are great and have their own original elements, and I disagree with the comparison of the Ur-Quan to the Reapers, I do think there are too many shared elements between them to be coincidence. I agree, Mass Effect owes a lot to the Star Control and Starflight series, which inspired Star Control.

And on another note, if Stardock is doing a reboot and not a sequel, I think they should get Toys for Bob's permission to do a prequel set in the time of the sentient milieu mentioned in the story of Star Control 2.