Star Fox - Guard Announced For Wii U

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Star Fox - Guard Announced For Wii U

Star Fox Guard is a tower-defense style Star Fox spin-off that will launch with Star Fox Zero.

During today's Star Fox Zero [http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/03-03-2016/]. Star Fox Guard is a kind of tower-defense game, featuring Slippy's uncle "Grippy" as he controls Slippy's defense system in order to stop enemies from getting through.

Players will be able to upload their own custom defense configurations to the internet to let others try them out.

[gallery=5893]

Star Fox Guard will launch alongside Star Fox Zero on April 22. It will be bundled together with the main game in a "first print" bundle, but can also be purchased by itself from Nintendo eShop for $14.99. Customers that purchase the digital version of either Star Fox Zero or Star Fox Guard will receive a $4.99 Nintendo eShop discount toward the other game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Okay, it's cool that it's bundled in, but lame that it's temporary.

Otherwise...neat? I was worried this was going to be one of those full-priced mini games.

Alex V.Sharp

Jan 20, 2011
Hmm... not sure how to feel about this. On one hand: A new Star Fox game! Finally! Yay!
On the other: It's for Wii U and 3DS? Meh...

sky_rider19

Mar 16, 2011
Alex V.Sharp said:
Hmm... not sure how to feel about this. On one hand: A new Star Fox game! Finally! Yay!
On the other: It's for Wii U and 3DS? Meh...
It's not going to be for the 3DS. The whole direct was a combination of Wii U games and 3DS games.

I'm not that big of a star fox fan but this looks like an interesting "mini" game.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It remind me of FNAF with the cameras but you can fight back.

It look kinda interesting but I'm not hook on it yet.

Ghostface2206

Apr 6, 2013
ravenshrike said:
Sooo, are they ever going to make another actual Star Fox game and not these spin-off abominations?
...you've seen Star Fox Zero right?

Also I have a feeling that Star Fox Guard was gonna be a part of Zero but they must have had to cut it out of that game and made it separate in order to get the game out faster because there were some reports leading up to the latest Nintendo Direct that said Nintendo were making an urgent decision of when they were gonna get the game finished because they've already delayed it twice.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Ghostface2206 said:
ravenshrike said:
Sooo, are they ever going to make another actual Star Fox game and not these spin-off abominations?
...you've seen Star Fox Zero right?

Also I have a feeling that Star Fox Guard was gonna be a part of Zero but they must have had to cut it out of that game and made it separate in order to get the game out faster because there were some reports leading up to the latest Nintendo Direct that said Nintendo were making an urgent decision of when they were gonna get the game finished because they've already delayed it twice.
It was never part of the Star Fox universe to begin with. Miyamoto has been working on "project guard" since before 2014, they had a working concept demo at E3 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TkgRUaF_4A

Miyamoto was just experimenting with different ways to use the gamepad, I think it got the Star Fox treatment fairly recently, news from Star Fox Zero is that it is very much the same stuff we saw in the original Star Fox games (unlike adventures and other spin-offs) so was seen as a little mediocre (not bad, just underwhelming). It probably got the Star Fox coating after the last Star Fox Zero delay in order to show something different in the universe, and to boost early sales, with it being bundled in.

To be honest I think Star Fox Guard looks more interesting than Star Fox Zero, I'll probably be picking up the day one bundle just for guard, with a chance I might try Zero when I'm bored one day.