Star Ruler Studio Really Hates GameStop

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Omnific One said:
gigastar said:
Omnific One said:
gigastar said:
Ok, I know I can be irrational at times, but that is just plain childish.
They are just worried about the direction it will take. They don't want extra draconian DRM or a lower cut of the profits. It's not irrational; it's business.

More than likely, it'll appear on other DD services.
Draconian DRM policies i can understand. Not simply using multiple digital distribution platforms i cannot understand.

Besides he stated the reason quite clearly.
From that newspost said:
"On March 31st, Stardock Systems announced that Impulse will be purchased by GameStop, likely some time in May. Due to a rather large list of things we detest about GameStop, Star Ruler will no longer be available for purchase on Impulse after the takeover,"
A large number of things SUCH AS Gamestop being quite greedy and only looking toward gaining the most profit. It is inevitable that they will jack up the share taken by Gamestop to somewhere between 60-75% to recoup expenses incurred during the sale.
GothmogII said:
gigastar said:
Ok, I know I can be irrational at times, but that is just plain childish.
As far as I'm aware, it's called having principles.

Yes, those will conflict with other things in life at times, but it's better to hold on to them rather than break them just because it might inconvenience you.
Ok first im quoting both of theese because my responses are pretty much the same.

Secondly i would just like to clear up that i did watch the whole Zero Originality [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHVepwrFTLA] series that cropped up on Youtube a while back.

And thirdly i do, as a consumer, know why many people should hate Gamestop.

But buisness and liking something are two different things, pulling away before GS actually runs Impulse with that reason (seen in red in the first quote) just is childish. Its exactly like not sitting on the last available seat on a long bus journey just because you dont like someone who will be next to you.

In short, you should use it anyway, and pull out when you get a better reason.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Firgof said:
We're on a number of distributors other than Impulse. (GamersGate, Steam, Desura, Iceburg Interactive)

Also as a pre-emptive: We had no choice but to act immediately. Legally, there was no other recourse if we didn't want to partner.
Excellent display of backbone. It was only a matter of time before industry members started joining consumers in turning on Gamestop. Their business model is poor, their service is uniformly terrible and if they're doing anything good for the industry, it's only by virtue of their existence and lack of competition. I honestly hope Gamestop makes the same mistakes that Blockbuster did and so become as defunct as K-Mart; their flaws seem top-down so I don't see much hope of their becoming an honest, smart company.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Holy crap, I didn't even know Impulse had been bought by Gamestop! I thought that was Stardock's baby.

Now I'm going to have stop using Impulse as well :(

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Star ruler (and firegof) are pretty cool.

I always liked steam more, but loved supporting stardock.

Long live steam.

Death to impulse.

Tron Paul

Dec 11, 2009
gigastar said:
Ok first im quoting both of theese because my responses are pretty much the same.

Secondly i would just like to clear up that i did watch the whole Zero Originality [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHVepwrFTLA] series that cropped up on Youtube a while back.

But buisness and liking something are two different things, pulling away before GS actually runs Impulse with that reason (seen in red in the first quote) just is childish. Its exactly like not sitting on the last available seat on a long bus journey just because you dont like someone who will be next to you.

I'll direct you to a post that was already made.

Firgof said:
We're on a number of distributors other than Impulse. (GamersGate, Steam, Desura, Iceburg Interactive)

Also as a pre-emptive: We had no choice but to act immediately. Legally, there was no other recourse if we didn't want to partner.
The developer would be locked in if they didn't switch NOW. They probably did have a discussion but felt that Gamestop wasn't the best to partner with. Same reason why Notch didn't sign on with anyone, there was a choice.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Tron Paul said:
gigastar said:

But buisness and liking something are two different things, pulling away before GS actually runs Impulse with that reason just is childish. Its exactly like not sitting on the last available seat on a long bus journey just because you dont like someone who will be next to you.

I'll direct you to a post that was already made.

Firgof said:

The developer would be locked in if they didn't switch NOW. They probably did have a discussion but felt that Gamestop wasn't the best to partner with. Same reason why Notch didn't sign on with anyone, there was a choice.
Fair enough, but i didnt know there was an overriding piece of contract that locked dev's into theese things.

I suppose it wouldnt be wrong to assume that simply not releasing for one DDP is going to result in a lawsuit too.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Nikolaz72 said:
ATTENTION PEOPLE. THIS GAME IS ALREADY AVAILABLE ON STEAM AND DIRECT2DRIVE.
Is it really on Steam?

Not sure if it's any good, but I may have to get it just as an FU to Gamestop...

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Oh good. I love Sins of a Solar Empire, but I hated that I had to update it through Impulse. Crappier client than Steam... and I'm really not fond of Steam's client software.

*uninstalls Impulse*

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I'm just glad I'm not the only one.

ex2katana said:
Good for them. If you dislike a company that strongly, it's your right and responsibility to avoid doing business with them. I personally think that the problem is less with Gamestop and more with the education of the consumers (assuming one of the bullets on Blind Mind's list of grievances is the pre-owned sales model), so I still use Gamestop but only buy new games. Still, it's good to see someone taking a stand.
I don't even buy new games from gamestop.
First of all, you have to wonder "how new" from them.
They make you pre-order (which is unnecessary) AND they require you give them money for your preorder. Some people pay for their games months ahead of time. Why not just put that $60 in anything, even a money market account for that time. That's all gamestop does with it: they don't have to pay the publisher until the games ship.

Games (at gamestop) are the only things I've ever pre-ordered and was asked for money. That doesn't happen with books, movies or anything else.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yeah dudes, sorry if I wasn't clear enough about this but Star Ruler is available on just about every DD platform out there. It's not an Impulse exclusive.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Called it. Soon, nobody will be using Impulse after Gamestop rapes it. Gamestop will lose a bucket of cash-money on the failed enterprise, and finally implode, giving gamers everywhere a tiny bit of their soul back.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Firgof said:
A read name?

Good for you guys. Your game had a lot of potential when I tried the demo a few months ago. Keep giving the middle finger to Gamestop!

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
After reading this news I went out and bought Star Ruler on Steam. Im probably not even going to play it, it seems like a smaller version of AI war but I am all for giving money to Gamestops competitors.

Lets hope this is the first indie dev of many to turn down Gamestop the way Gamestop have indie Games.

Nero Haven

Jan 14, 2011
While it does make sense that those wary of GameStop chose to walk away from any type of deal they would have to make with them, it is childish to badmouth them. Notch is keeping Minecraft distribution to himself, and that is his right, but to my knowledge he's never openly said bad things about those services, or the people who own them, which is the way to go in a situation like this.

I'm interested in how this will pan out, but it's not something that makes me like Blind Mind. To the contrary, it makes me see them as petty. If they wanted to turn down a business opportunity that's fine, but how they told their customers was just silly and uncalled for.