Star Trek Online Highlights the Romulan Apocalypse

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
fatb0y said:
mattaui said:
I've really been enjoying my time in STO. It's got one of the least offensive F2P implementations out there, unless you just can't stand the idea of running across a lockbox now and then. The feature episode content model might have ceased, but there's still a whole lot of it there for anyone to play through, and you've got access to all of it right out of the gate.
I got the impression that it was periodically doing a multi Gig download. At least early on. Is that your experience? It happened on Planetside 2 and Star Wars on me, making me wonder if I should stay away from this genre entirely.
I haven't really had it do anything more unusual than the typical MMO patching behavior, though sometimes there will be patches that are a gig or two in size. If you're running it via Steam I suggest not having Steam autoupdate and just rely on the patcher itself.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Zipa said:
The games story so far hints that a intelligence race orchestrated the destruction of Romulus on purpose to cause strife and conflict in the galaxy. They haven't really explored it too much yet which I imagine will change with the Romulan themed expansion.
That race that is causing all of this is the Iconians.

As I recall, they were only mentioned a handful of times in the TV shows as a race that ruled a vast galactic empire 200,000 years ago, and were believed destroyed when the races they had enslaved/oppressed rose up and bombarded their homeworld.

They are notable for making the Iconain gateways, portals that could transport someone across the length of the galaxy in an instant.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
SajuukKhar said:
Zipa said:
The games story so far hints that a intelligence race orchestrated the destruction of Romulus on purpose to cause strife and conflict in the galaxy. They haven't really explored it too much yet which I imagine will change with the Romulan themed expansion.

As I recall, they were only mentioned a handful of times in the TV shows as a race that ruled a vast galactic empire 200,000 years ago, and were believed destroyed when the races they had enslaved/oppressed rose up and bombarded their homeworld.

They are notable for making the Iconain gateways, portals that could transport someone across the length of the galaxy in an instant.
Yeah I know ive played the story, a couple of times . As I recall the story finishes with you blowing the crap out the Romulans been manipulated by the Iconians into doing their dirty work.

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
Fanghawk said:
thiosk said:
Also, my research showed that these are klingons.
Klingons
saintdane05 said:
I like the DS9 explanation better.

I really like that DS9 episode. That said, I think the klingons and the federation would really like to forget Captain "Crazy Genocide" Archer. I may give this a go. Never tried star trek online before.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
Zipa said:

It's possible that they could transport them further away, curious to see if they were just in another galaxy or something.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
RatherDull said:
Oh wow.

I remember this as a quickly failing MMO. Now they're actually fulfilling promises and releasing expansions.

The dev team has come a long way.
After Perfect World Entertainment bought Cryptic they have been turning the game around slowly but surely, remember a lot of the rage was from the Trekkies too. The game did have its faults at launch and some of them still persist today, the Trekkies went over the top though. They rage if the fruit bowl in Voyagers mess hall did not have to exact same number and exact same type of fruit it had 34 mins into episode 8 of the 3rd series.

The game captures the spirit of Star Trek even if the cannon has been messed with slightly, the Federation is more like the DS9 Dominion war Era than Picards TNG era.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Talk about wasted potential. Considering that the world and fanbase for a game like this already exists, theoretically, such a title should write itself. In the hands of a competent developer it would be a license to print money. One wonders what went wrong.