Star Trek Online Reaches One Million Accounts

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Abedeus said:
Guess why Champions Online, same developer, is slowly moving towards self-destruction.

I mean, they promised some of the content that is on the Amazon's store page, it's not there after few months, and the first actual content will be levels 37-40 (3 levels...) and PAID. Yeah, games like Lineage 2 get "chapters" every now and then, never had to pay. Also, CO is a great example of why P2P and stores don't match.
I'm ashamed I even spent the money on CO. And my copy said I'd have a bonus free month... it didn't. Many of us in the "City of Heroes/Villains" community are glad Cryptic sold the CoX IP to NC Soft. They're taking much better care of it.

As far as STO goes, I'm considering it another CO blunder until it can prove me otherwise and do something to grab my attention.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
fenrizz said:
fredxquimby said:
Mostly vanity and definitely nothing game imbalancing. But on the other hand, one man's vanity toy is another's character-defining gadget.
Oh I just remembered...
You only get 2 character slots, but you can buy more for cryptic points.
I can only assume Cryptic Points cost RL money?
Actually, you can't buy more slots. One more unlocks at level 6, but that's it.

There've been some assumptions that more slots and respecs will be available down the road. But, so far, the only official statement is that respecs will be available using ingame points at some time in the future.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
MMO Genre: The final frontier. Our mission, to boldly go where no guild has gone before. To brave strange new zones and kill the ten required enemies as the quest text dictates.

viciouspen

Dec 23, 2007
Maybe they'll stop bleeding us dry of DEVs on Champions Online now.

Personally I'm steering clear of Star Trek Online for a good long while.
I beta tested the game, it's freaking rough right now so yeah, from seeing it in beta I'm not going near it until it has a chance to be fixed and completed more.

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
The mmo jump, where a new mmo is released and every man and his dog gives it a try before running back to their usual mmo, leaving the new game high and dry.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I hope most of them stay.

And I might even want to get involved with this...

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Ehhh as much as I want to dive whole hog into this game I'm reminded of how quickly their previous games of City of Heroes and Champions Online held my attention span due to crappy xp curves and poor sound direction.

I think I'll pick this up after I've recovered from buying Dante's Inferno and a PS3 to play my copy of the God of War 3 collector's edition. I can't wait to send millions of Red Shirts to their doom :D

Solstrana91

Sep 4, 2004
I'll be joining the million plus accounts in the next few weeks.
My girlfriend wont let me install the game untill my birthday :(

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Not really that big. Both AoC and WAR hit pretty high numbers, as do most new high-profile MMOs. The question is, can they keep it? The initial surge is from people looking for something new. However, if that something lacks the content and the gameplay to keep them occupied and interested, it'll go sour very soon.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
The 'story' got an update...

http://www.massively.com/2010/02/08/cryptic-clarifies-what-one-million-accounts-actually-means

Lusulpher

Jun 12, 2009
Wait till Guild Wars hears STO is just as instanced as their first game. They are going to launch GW2 and call this bull.

Also, EVE Online still king of MMOs.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
the game shows promise, it all depends on what direction cryptic is going to take this, in other words it is pretty open and somewhat unfinished, it still feels like beta.

but im going to stick with it for a while to so where things are going, the first month is too early to make a judgement

ps. the forums there are atrocious, no moderation what so ever, complete chaos filled with extremely rude people, which is ironic considering the peaceful message of star trek(this game excluded since it is basically space massacre simulator).
i pine for the fascist like moderation of the escapist forums. rudeness should never be tolerated