Star Trek Picard and HBO's Watchmen Comic Con Trailers.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
That looks nothing like watchmen. Its a good bet it was just a generic gritty spuerhero show, and focus groups forced it to be renamed a familiar IP just to give it a chance.

Also yay Picard!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
That looks nothing like watchmen. Its a good bet it was just a generic gritty spuerhero show, and focus groups forced it to be renamed a familiar IP just to give it a chance.

Also yay Picard!
I hope that one internet article I read practically begging that HBO take their own original approach to Watchmen rather then adapting the comic faithfully can get bitten hard in the ass if it fails.

Damon Lindeloff is poison.

Like all I wanted, was Zack Snyder's Watchmen with a TV series' pacing and mabye a different music track.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Okay, is it just me, or is STP looking stupid. Like, really stupid. Like, stupid even for Star Trek?

It's got a whole lot of action and flashy ships, and in the middle of it all is an eighty something. This going to be like Generations where we have Shatner trying to be an action hero?

Anyway, if you can snag a Lower Decks trailer, that would be great.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Hawki said:
Okay, is it just me, or is STP looking stupid. Like, really stupid. Like, stupid even for Star Trek?

It's got a whole lot of action and flashy ships, and in the middle of it all is an eighty something. This going to be like Generations where we have Shatner trying to be an action hero?

Maybe? From what I've gathered from the trailer the little girl Picard is saving is an ex-Borg Queen so maybe it'll be more mystery with the younger cast doing the action bits?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:

nvm.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
What is STP?
Star Trek: Picard.

...what? Least it gets a better acronym than Star Trek: Discovery (STD).

Apr 17, 2009
The bloody hell is even going on in the Watchmen trailer? It just seems to be a lot of people with their faces covered prancing around doing violence and I can't tell who is supposed to be doing what...which kind of seems like the point of the show judging by some of the things said, so good job maybe?

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Palindromemordnilap said:
The bloody hell is even going on in the Watchmen trailer? It just seems to be a lot of people with their faces covered prancing around doing violence and I can't tell who is supposed to be doing what...which kind of seems like the point of the show judging by some of the things said, so good job maybe?
Yeah, based on the trailer I can't figure out which side is supposed to be alt-right and who is supposed to be antifa, so I know intuitively who to root for or against according to my political biases. I can only hope the miniseries falls so short of the original comic's gold standard of quality and insight, that it provides me political grandstanding in bite-sized pieces I don't actually have to think about, and can easily and conveniently regurgitate on demand. Because help me, if it does not pander to my severely lacking attention span and capacity for critical thought, I will be very angry at its writers, directors, and producers and harass them on social media.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Can we do a refresher on why we should hate the Watchmen movie? It's been a while since I've seen/ read both. It glorified rather than horrified with the violence. Stupid sex scenes to Tom Waits. No octopus. Anything else?

Palindromemordnilap said:
I think it's supposed to be like the Dark Knight but the heroes are making any attempts to stop copycats

Dec 10, 2012
I started off very skeptical of Picard, but the trailer does reduce some of my fears. Even the small bits of Picard we get really seem like the same guy from TNG, and as long as it stays true to that at the core, any stylistic updates and tonal changes are fine with me. I'll watch the first couple episodes at least.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
trunkage said:
Can we do a refresher on why we should hate the Watchmen movie? It's been a while since I've seen/ read both. It glorified rather than horrified with the violence. Stupid sex scenes to Tom Waits. No octopus. Anything else?
Watchmen the comic is about how superheroes are stupid, but the film does everything possible to go against this. The whole thing is rendered in Snyder-wank-vision 100% of the time. He treats every moment as if it's as important and momentous as any other moment which just makes it all feel too slow and self serious. Every line feels like it's part of a speech rather than a conversation, every location is shot in a way that it's obvious that it's a set or a CG backdrop, the costumes (superhero and civilian) all look like costumes rather than actual clothes, and the supersuits are considerably cooler than their comic versions, and Dan Dreiberg isn't nearly schlubby enough. It's not necessarily a bad film, it's so overwrought and high camp that it's actually kind of fun, but in spite of how closely it follows the text of the comic it's not really Watchmen.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I'll watch them when I can, neither having CBS All Access nor HBO. Watchmen looks like it could be interesting depending on what they do with it and Picard feels oddly like "Joss Weedon has some spare Firefly scripts we could adapt." I kind of like the idea of Picard on the run from the Federation (and every other hostile power) trying to do the one thing that's right. Given that whole Lucutus of Borg phase he had, I can't imagine Section 31 (if not Starfleet intelligence itself) not having a contingency plan for him.

Either could soar or fall flat. We'll see.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Tireseas said:
I kind of like the idea of Picard on the run...
Oh yeah, because "captain goes rogue/vigilante/fugitive" is something we've never seen in Trek before. Let alone being the entire plot of one of the TNG movies. Honestly, your post somehow made me less enthusiastic for the show due to reminding me of Insurrection and the Voyager finale, and I finally managed to memory hole those just like I have the Highlander sequels that definitely never happened. So thanks?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Silentpony said:
Maybe? From what I've gathered from the trailer the little girl Picard is saving is an ex-Borg Queen so maybe it'll be more mystery with the younger cast doing the action bits?
I wondered if the girl might have been Data's daughter (an android Data made in TNG): it could fit with the notion of restoring Data because she might have some sort of key or knowledge to make it feasible.

If I remember rightly from the series - bear with me I haven't seen it in decades - Data's daughter had a catastrophic reaction to the emotions Data programmed her to have, major system collapse and shut herself down. They could potentially write her back into existence: maybe Starfleet put her in storage and someone rebooted her.

Tireseas said:
I kind of like the idea of Picard on the run from the Federation (and every other hostile power) trying to do the one thing that's right.
I get little feeling of being on the run from the trailer - I'd expect some confrontation or threat scene. Thus it feels to me more like either Starfleet declined to get involved, or okayed a covert mission. In either case leaving him to sort himself out with what is effectively a private ship and operation.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Agema said:
I wondered if the girl might have been Data's daughter (an android Data made in TNG): it could fit with the notion of restoring Data because she might have some sort of key or knowledge to make it feasible.
So much nerdsturbation going on about this new character, basically nobody's looked at the low-hanging fruit for the fact Hugh, Data/B4, and Seven are all in the trailer. The whole Borg angle is a bit too obvious, but at the same time misleading.

How were the Borg introduced to the Federation again?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Eacaraxe said:
Tireseas said:
I kind of like the idea of Picard on the run...
Oh yeah, because "captain goes rogue/vigilante/fugitive" is something we've never seen in Trek before. Let alone being the entire plot of one of the TNG movies. Honestly, your post somehow made me less enthusiastic for the show due to reminding me of Insurrection and the Voyager finale, and I finally managed to memory hole those just like I have the Highlander sequels that definitely never happened. So thanks?
Its also the plot of STD season 2. They take it further and make the whole ship then Enterprise go rogue.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Eacaraxe said:
Agema said:
So much nerdsturbation going on about this new character, basically nobody's looked at the low-hanging fruit for the fact Hugh, Data/B4, and Seven are all in the trailer. The whole Borg angle is a bit too obvious, but at the same time misleading.

How were the Borg introduced to the Federation again?
Hue is my favorite character from TNG. As far as Im aware, the Borg episodes are some of the most popular. Also, the best TNG movie.

People forget how many episodes the Borg were in. They've blown it out of proportion