Star Trek Picard and HBO's Watchmen Comic Con Trailers.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
trunkage said:
Its also the plot of STD season 2. They take it further and make the whole ship then Enterprise go rogue.
Meh.

Honestly, at this point I'd rather the series not try to do the high drama, high stakes nonsense, and actually be about Picard getting bored, and/or realizing he made a mistake retiring, and putting together a crew to fart around the galaxy doing Picard stuff without having a Starfleet command structure to weigh him down.

I do like the idea of a premiere focused around stuff to do with the Borg Cooperative, maybe Q setting Picard up as another one of his pranks/trials to see if he can overcome past trauma/experience to aid the Cooperative liberate drones or secure a cube for their own. It'd be a neat parallel to Encounter at Farpoint, bookend with All Good Things, and give tribute to the past while giving this new series a hell of a start. But that's just me and my take, mostly because I have a sneaking suspicion this new mystery character is actually (a) Q.

Dec 10, 2012
Eacaraxe said:
trunkage said:
Its also the plot of STD season 2. They take it further and make the whole ship then Enterprise go rogue.
Meh.

Honestly, at this point I'd rather the series not try to do the high drama, high stakes nonsense, and actually be about Picard getting bored, and/or realizing he made a mistake retiring, and putting together a crew to fart around the galaxy doing Picard stuff without having a Starfleet command structure to weigh him down.

I do like the idea of a premiere focused around stuff to do with the Borg Cooperative, maybe Q setting Picard up as another one of his pranks/trials to see if he can overcome past trauma/experience to aid the Cooperative liberate drones or secure a cube for their own. It'd be a neat parallel to Encounter at Farpoint, bookend with All Good Things, and give tribute to the past while giving this new series a hell of a start. But that's just me and my take, mostly because I have a sneaking suspicion this new mystery character is actually (a) Q.
As much as I love Q as a character and his relationship with Picard, I hope not. That relationship is over, it ran its course throughout the series and everything Q was there to help Picard understand was done by "All Good Things..."

Of course I'm not thrilled at the idea of another Borg story either. They were great for TNG and First Contact but Voyager just trashed their whole aura and overexposed them.

Then again, Picard's history with the borg is one of the most interesting things about his character... But stupid future Janeway killed the borg anyway... But I do want to know what happened to the collective after that...

I'll just wait and see how the show turns out.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Not sure how I feel about the Watchman trailer. On one hand, I appreciate they're not going to try to remake the film. OTOH, this feels like it's leaning really heavily on current political events more then trying to legitimately follow up on the themes and events of the comic.

True, the comic/film did talk about the rise of costumed vigilantes(the Minutemen) started with cops who put on masks to protect themselves, but I'm not how much we're going to get beyond that. And shouldn't Dr. Manhattan be in another galaxy by now, not still hanging around Mars? Because I'm sure that I remember him being sick of humanity's shit at the end of Watchmen and wanting to get the fuck as far away as he could so he could go study the cosmos.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Dalisclock said:
True, the comic/film did talk about the rise of costumed vigilantes(the Minutemen) started with cops who put on masks to protect themselves, but I'm not how much we're going to get beyond that. And shouldn't Dr. Manhattan be in another galaxy by now, not still hanging around Mars? Because I'm sure that I remember him being sick of humanity's shit at the end of Watchmen and wanting to get the fuck as far away as he could so he could go study the cosmos.
So, this got squeezed out [https://deadline.com/2019/07/watchmen-white-supremacy-theme-damon-lindelof-regina-king-tv-series-alan-moore-hbo-tca-1202652928/] in the meantime. Let me get this straight.

Ozymandias concocts a Xanatos gambit to prevent World War III by giving the Soviet Union and the United States a fake enemy to fight together. To do this, he murders a hell of a lot of people by induced cancer to frame Dr. Manhattan as dangerous to everyone around him, and later commits genocide by giant psychic squid/quantum bombs/kaiju anime girl. His plot is discovered by Dr. Manhattan, Nite Owl, Silk Spectre II, and Rorschach, but they're powerless to stop him and Ozymandias kills a kitty. Everyone reluctantly agrees to go along with Ozymandias' plan, except for Rorschach who commits Suicide by Dr. Manhattan, but not before mailing his journal to a loony right-wing conspiracy newspaper.

Ostensibly, his journal gets published at some point, and this kickstarts a terror(?) group of Rorschach copycats who are apparently supposed to be the neo-Klan. Meanwhile, militarized cops in service to a highly authoritarian American government (remember, this was the status quo in the original material after decades of the Nixon presidency) put on masks to start hunting down the Rorschach copycats off the clock, and these are supposed to be the good guys.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I am looking forward to Picard's Star Trek. But I am sure everyone expected that already given I was one of the few here who wanted to be in Star Fleet instead of being a silly saber swinging Jedi. It looks like CBS figured out they could get subscribers from Star Trek Discovery, so they are now going to bank on every Star Trek they can get their hands on.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Eacaraxe said:
Dalisclock said:
So, this got squeezed out [https://deadline.com/2019/07/watchmen-white-supremacy-theme-damon-lindelof-regina-king-tv-series-alan-moore-hbo-tca-1202652928/] in the meantime. Let me get this straight.

Ozymandias concocts a Xanatos gambit to prevent World War III by giving the Soviet Union and the United States a fake enemy to fight together. To do this, he murders a hell of a lot of people by induced cancer to frame Dr. Manhattan as dangerous to everyone around him, and later commits genocide by giant psychic squid/quantum bombs/kaiju anime girl. His plot is discovered by Dr. Manhattan, Nite Owl, Silk Spectre II, and Rorschach, but they're powerless to stop him and Ozymandias kills a kitty. Everyone reluctantly agrees to go along with Ozymandias' plan, except for Rorschach who commits Suicide by Dr. Manhattan, but not before mailing his journal to a loony right-wing conspiracy newspaper.

Ostensibly, his journal gets published at some point, and this kickstarts a terror(?) group of Rorschach copycats who are apparently supposed to be the neo-Klan. Meanwhile, militarized cops in service to a highly authoritarian American government (remember, this was the status quo in the original material after decades of the Nixon presidency) put on masks to start hunting down the Rorschach copycats off the clock, and these are supposed to be the good guys.
I'm not sure who are supposed to be the good guys here, honestly, The Rorschach terrorist group and the masked cops both come across as total assholes, and of course, it's all supposed to be a commentary on antifa/alt-right/police brutality so maybe nobody is the good guy and it's just a bunch of assholes fighting each other.

But if people are taking the diary seriously, then wouldn't that undermine the whole gambit to prevent WW3 knowing it was a ruse(and wouldn't Veidt be in jail at the very least for orchestrating the whole thing)? And does this mean the space squid is canon considering Dr. Manhattan(presumably) isn't reviled as a genocidal monster?

Also, on a lighter note, am I the only one who thinks Regina King's costume looks kind of dumb? I mean, yeah, most superhero costumes look dumb in the real world, but she's wearing a giant hood with a painted on domino mask(and occasionally a balaclava over the mouth) which doesn't look like it does much.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Dalisclock said:
I'm not sure who are supposed to be the good guys here, honestly, The Rorschach terrorist group and the masked cops both come across as total assholes, and of course, it's all supposed to be a commentary on antifa/alt-right/police brutality so maybe nobody is the good guy and it's just a bunch of assholes fighting each other.
I mean, I won't lie. It's a really cool idea for a sequel/follow-up show. I get the feeling it'll follow the film continuity so no giant psychic squid, but that's no great sawmill for me as I felt Veidt setting up Manhattan to be mankind's greatest fake enemy was more sensible storytelling than a giant psychic squid from nowhere. The idea Veidt would skate even if Rorschach's journal got published is off the reservation by no means -- who would you trust, comic book Bezos or a clearly psychopathic costumed murderer?

I just don't necessarily trust this particular project in the hands of the man who fucked up Lost, fucked up Star Trek Into Darkness, and then was hired by Ridley Scott for the express purpose of fucking up Prometheus. HBO could certainly do worse (imagine Watchmen in D&D's hands), but on the other hand, they could do a lot better.