Star Trek's Capt. Janeway "Misinformed" Participant in Geocentrist Film - Update

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Star Trek's Capt. Janeway "Misinformed" Participant in Geocentrist Film - Update

Star Trek fans will be disappointed to hear that Kate Mulgrew's voice puts Earth at the center of the universe.

Update: Mulgrew took to her Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kate-Mulgrew/7122967465] to address criticism of her participation in the project:

"I understand there has been some controversy about my participation in a documentary called THE PRINCIPLE. Let me assure everyone that I completely agree with the eminent physicist Lawrence Krauss, who was himself misrepresented in the film, and who has written a succinct rebuttal in SLATE. I am not a geocentrist, nor am I in any way a proponent of geocentrism. More importantly, I do not subscribe to anything Robert Sungenis has written regarding science and history and, had I known of his involvement, would most certainly have avoided this documentary. I was a voice for hire, and a misinformed one, at that. I apologize for any confusion that my voice on this trailer may have caused. Kate Mulgrew"

As Mulgrew said, Krauss's rebuttal can be found on Slate [http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/04/08/lawrence_krauss_on_ending_up_in_the_geocentricism_documentary_the_principle.html].

Original Story: While the Star Trek franchise plays a little loose with time travel, warp fields, and other technobabble concepts, you can't deny that its creators loved science. Sure, each series bent the laws of physics more often than the Prime Directive, but they still embraced certain principles that scientists agree upon, like how the Earth revolves around the sun. Sadly, many are now wondering whether Star Trek: Voyager's Kate "Capt. Janeway" Mulgrew forgot that minor detail. Despite spending five years playing a starship captain, Mulgrew will narrate The Principle, a 2014 documentary endorsing <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocentric_model>the defunct theory that the sun revolves around the Earth.

"Everyone knows that the ancient idea of Earth in the center of the universe is a ridiculous holdover from a superstitious age, right?" reads <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8cBvMCucTg>The Principle's trailer description. "Modern science has proven that we are nothing special ... prepare to be shocked! The Principle, destined to become one of the most controversial films of our time, brings before the public eye astonishing results from recent large-scale surveys of our universe - surveys which disclose unexpected evidence of a preferred direction in the cosmos, aligned with our supposedly insignificant Earth."

In The Principle's trailer, scientists are shown describing how Earth's unique features make it well-suited for life to evolve. Suddenly, a geocentric-sounding quote is inserted by The Principle's producer <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sungenis>Robert Sungenis. "You can go on some websites of NASA," Sungenis says, "to see that they've started to take down stuff that might hint to a geocentric universe." Sungenis is a geocentrism advocate and author of Galileo Was Wrong: The Church Was Right who once found himself mired in controversy for denying evidence of the Holocaust.

Those featured scientists meanwhile, including Michio Kaku, Lawrence Krauss, and Max Tegmart, may have had nothing to do with The Principle at all. "For all who asked: Some clips of me apparently were mined for movie on geocentricism," Krauss <a href=https://twitter.com/LKrauss1/statuses/453484906069241856>wrote on Twitter. "So stupid does disservice to word nonsense. Ignore it."

It's worth remembering at this point that Mulgrew is an actress and not a scientist. I doubt she's had any part in compiling The Principle's "scientific knowledge", and was likely only hired to read from a script. It's even possible that Mulgrew doesn't endorse The Principle's message, but it's hard to imagine why she'd be involved if not. After all, Mulgrew isn't short on work right now, having returned to the public eye as Red in Orange is the New Black.

The Principle is slated to release later this spring.

Source: Raw Story

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Just... wow. Geocentrism. What an unhealthy dose of arrogance, ignorance and (religious?) anthropocentrism can bring, right? As for Mulgrew... yeah. Even if it's "just a job" to her, she should be aware of basic science and not help perpetuate such nonsense. I guess we don't know the exact content yet, but it doesn't sound good. Ultimately, it's not important that she does it, but it is kind of sad. Frankly, it'd be sad if any thinking person did it. Her having played a science officer and Star Trek captain is really secondary to that.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I... but.... how..... I don't understand. there are ACTUALLY people who still believe this?
I mean, it's not like the evolution "debate" where people only don't believe because they are too narrow minded to see more than one generation. This is basic level science here. Grab a telescope. We have satilites that SHOW us that the Earth goes round the sun, and so on.

Boggling.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
At least creationist come from a misplaced devotion to the literal interpretation of the bible. This just seems to fly in the face of 500 years of Astrophysicists.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
And thus, with great haste, and enough force to level mountains, did my palm impact on my face.

Wasn't there also recently a 'documentary' released about how the US founding fathers were in reality super christian who were very much against the separation of church and state?

...guh, at least I can hope that Thunderfoot rips this movie a new one if he even bothers to mention it

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
While I can't really judge how harsh it is for actors to find jobs, I'd imagine a recognizable person such as her wouldn't have too much of a struggle finding roles.
I fear the day when I'll be forced to sell myself for a quick profit.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Before people get all crazy about this, geocentric just means you put the origin of your "galactic coordinate system" at Earth as opposed to the Sun or the center of the Milky Way. Its a perfectly reasonable way to define a coordinate system. Geocentrism vs heliocentrism is not a debate about facts, since both coordinate systems are compatible. Its more of a philosophical issue centered around the question "are humans special in the grand scheme of things?".

Edit: There are related questions which do have objective answers. For example, where is the center of mass of the solar system? (The sun.) As far as I can tell from the article, this is not being questioned.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Well...a gig's a gig, yes?
Though, does this mean that we're gonna get a documentary about the Hollow Earth Theory voiced by Robert Picardo?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well just because actors did their part in a sci-fi series doesn't mean they know the first thing about it, their job is to act like they know shit not to really know it.

As for the movie... I'm just amazed of the extent some people can take their ignorance without a hint of self-awareness.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Geo-centrism?

I could wish these fine people all the luck that they are going to need with their project, but I doubt it will help.

webkilla said:
...Wasn't there also recently a 'documentary' released about how the US founding fathers were in reality super christian who were very much against the separation of church and state?...
There are probably plenty of those in existence. You can certainly find clips from US news interviews in which people making such statements.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
In fairness, I don't think it matters. Janeway was clearly batshit crazy, and given the quality of acting on Voyager, I'm not sure Mulgrew actually WAS acting.

Braedan said:
I... but.... how..... I don't understand. there are ACTUALLY people who still believe this?
I mean, it's not like the evolution "debate" where people only don't believe because they are too narrow minded to see more than one generation. This is basic level science here. Grab a telescope. We have satilites that SHOW us that the Earth goes round the sun, and so on.

Boggling.
You can observe evolution in a single human life span. Grab some fruit flies. How is that different?

Scorpid said:
At least creationist come from a misplaced devotion to the literal interpretation of the bible. This just seems to fly in the face of 500 years of Astrophysicists.
There are a lot of geocentrists whose ideas come from the Bible. You can find plenty of arguments for Biblical geocentrism online.

Mr.K. said:
Well just because actors did their part in a sci-fi series doesn't mean they know the first thing about it, their job is to act like they know shit not to really know it.
And you aren't picking up much science working a sci-fi show, anyway. Well, not the ones we normally see on TV. You could replace most of the explanations on Voyager with "magic" to a similar effect.

senordesol said:
Guess those checks from Bioware are starting to run a little thin, eh?
Or maybe EA is behind this.

...We blame them for everything else...Why not this?

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
*sigh and a facepalm* This "documentary" is being made by a bunch of insecure idiots who crave attention. The same kind who do PETA's PR. Listen to Krauss: Ignore it.

All the same, it's crap like this that makes me wish global climate change would hurry up and kill our species. We're an insult to the universe.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
castlewise said:
Before people get all crazy about this, geocentric just means you put the origin of your "galactic coordinate system" at Earth as opposed to the Sun or the center of the Milky Way. Its a perfectly reasonable way to define a coordinate system. Geocentrism vs heliocentrism is not a debate about facts, since both coordinate systems are compatible. Its more of a philosophical issue centered around the question "are humans special in the grand scheme of things?".
No, they are not.

If you track a planet(any) in our solar system and you use the heliocentrism model it will make eliptical circle arount the sun.
But if you use the geocentrism model it wil make a weird figure 8 around use.

This was how they realized geocentrism was wrong.

See it like a shapeshifting 3d map, everything moves like it does.
If you change the center of the map, the map will form in a completly different way.
It's not like you use a imperial grid instead of Metric on the same map.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Braedan said:

Boggling.
The last gasps of people who have already thoroughly lost on the facts. There's been a few 'documentaries' like this these past few years. They're just echo-chamber circle-jerks that these people and those who agree with them can watch to try and make them feel better as they ignore the facts.

It's the same reason christian fundamentalism has gotten so much more vocal and abrasive lately in the US, and has been trying to legislate literal-bible creationism instead of debating it honestly. They know they can't win, they know 99% of the facts are against them, and they're too afraid to question any aspect of their worldview lest any aspect of it prove to be false. So they're trying to steamroll on through the rest of us and just hope that something sticks. The recent passage of a 'religious freedom' law in my home state of Mississippi (I have never been more embarrassed to be Mississippian) is the same deal too. Obviously discriminatory, obviously unconstitutional, but they're just throwing everything against the wall and hoping something sticks. I eagerly await fundamentalism to breathe its last breath so that reasonable religious folk can not have the crazies ruining things for everyone any more.

Now... on a lighter note, if you want to get technical, every point in the observable universe is technically the center of the universe from that point's perspective. It's like... if you're standing on top of a tower looking down. From that perspective, you're the center of the world around you. From our perspective, Earth is at the center of the universe, because it is the only perspective we have. That isn't what they're arguing at all, of course, but still =P

Jsbwalker

Jul 17, 2011
I'm just going to leave this here...

http://www.geekosystem.com/kate-mulgrew-not-geocentrist/