Star Wars 8 Trailer

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The prequels improved with each film, I just hope the same is for this trilogy. But reading the posts...hm.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Dansen said:
Finn barely sows up in the trailer yet again. He gets to fight Captain Phasma, yay? Po features more prominently. Seems a bit strange that they are giving Boyega's character the cold shoulder. I am left wondering what they are going to do with his character?
Honestly, I rather expect that he's going be Force Sensitive himself (albeit with less raw power than Ben or Rey), though I expect that won't be revealed until Episode X.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Asita said:
Dansen said:
Finn barely sows up in the trailer yet again. He gets to fight Captain Phasma, yay? Po features more prominently. Seems a bit strange that they are giving Boyega's character the cold shoulder. I am left wondering what they are going to do with his character?
Honestly, I rather expect that he's going be Force Sensitive himself (albeit with less raw power than Ben or Rey), though I expect that won't be revealed until Episode X.
They already revealed it when he activated a lightsaber. Only Force sensitive people can activate them.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Silentpony said:
Asita said:
Dansen said:

They already revealed it when he activated a lightsaber. Only Force sensitive people can activate them.
If that was ever canon, I really doubt it still is.

EDIT: In fact, I'm fairly certain Grievous was explicitly stated to have almost no Force Sensitivity (No more than your average sentient being). And then there was the Mandalorian dude from The Clone Wars with his Dark Saber.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Silentpony said:
Asita said:
Dansen said:
I don't know where that particular myth came from. They're activated by a simple switch or button. They aren't gene locked. Anyone can use a lightsaber. Grievous, Han Solo, Boba Fett, Pre Viszla (CGI Clone Wars series), Cad Bane (Also from the Clone Wars), Anja Gallandro (Young Jedi Knights) and even a random thief are shown using them, and none of them were Force Sensitive (speculation about Han notwithstanding). All tiers of 'classic' canon showed this.

It's not that non-Force sensitives can't activate or use lightsabers, it's that lightsabers suck as weapons for non-Force sensitives, largely because most other people would be using blasters. Without the Force to predict blaster fire, it's a case of bringing a sword to a gun fight.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I never got to care for any of the new characters. Same with Rogue One. I'm watching these movies with a sense of dettachment.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Johnny Novgorod said:
I never got to care for any of the new characters.
Me neither. I wish they had just skipped to a point like a century after the Original Trilogy, with all but a select few of the old characters dead and solely entirely new characters, with the old ones mentioned in passing if at all. Let's get a cast of completely new characters we can get attached to, ones who can't and thus don't have to ride off the coattails of the old characters we know and love in order to have any value whatsoever. The Force Awakens and Rogue One relied far too much upon nostalgia baiting to reel in the audience, and I'm hoping they'll do better soon.

Mar 26, 2008
I'm surprisingly excited. The first trailer didn't do much for me, but this one hits the right notes. Him potentially killing his mother as well adds some emotional weight, however I suspect there has been a bit of creative editing in the trailer (especially the end). I think it would be awesome if they did the "double turn" to use wrestling parlance, where Rey goes to the dark side and Ren to the light.

I'm even psyched by the Porg. I know it's just a cute merchandising tool, but unfortunately it's worked. It's just so adorable!

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I'm even psyched by the Porg. I know it's just a cute merchandising tool, but unfortunately it's worked. It's just so adorable!
No, that's not a cute marketing tool. This is a cute marketing tool.

There's an evil BB-8 (BB-9E)! I want one!

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
I liked it. I think the very end of the trailer is them having fun with editing.

I would love it if they did something super radical with the story, like have a main character turn evil or something.

But we all know that its easier and more profit friendly to play it safe, audiences are going to see the movie anyway. Don't make waves.

I'm gonna love it no matter what, I'm one of those cancerous fans.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
It was okay.
I never expected 'greatness' from the new trilogy, but at least TFA was a FUN romp that was worth watching more than once.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silentpony said:
Um, Han briefly uses Luke's lightsaber in Empire. Grievous is another example of technology compensating for lack of Force ability.

DefunctTheory said:
There's an evil BB-8 (BB-9E)! I want one!
Careful now. I think marketing's got you by the, ahem, balls.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
A really well made trailer. Now I'm going to forget it so I don't have any hopes up when actually seeing the movie.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Asita said:
I don't know where that particular myth came from. They're activated by a simple switch or button. They aren't gene locked. Anyone can use a lightsaber. Grievous, Han Solo, Boba Fett, Pre Viszla (CGI Clone Wars series), Cad Bane (Also from the Clone Wars), Anja Gallandro (Young Jedi Knights) and even a random thief are shown using them, and none of them were Force Sensitive (speculation about Han notwithstanding). All tiers of 'classic' canon showed this.

It's not that non-Force sensitives can't activate or use lightsabers, it's that lightsabers suck as weapons for non-Force sensitives, largely because most other people would be using blasters. Without the Force to predict blaster fire, it's a case of bringing a sword to a gun fight.
Pretty much yeah.

That, and using it safely, which requires years of extensive training to prevent accidentally hurting yourself. The Jedi, Sith and maybe some other groups had it on the standard curriculum and probably had manuals, but those were most likely on Holocrons, which actually could explicitly only be used by a force sensitive. Anyone else would have a much harder time becoming proficient without proper instruction.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
inu-kun said:
Also what's up with Chrome stormtrooper, wasn't she trapped on a room in a planet that exploded? How the heck you survive that?
How do you survive that you ask? Why, the power of MERCHANDISING of course!

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
How "spoilery" is the trailer? One of the producers said you may not want to watch it.