Star Wars Battlefront 2 Cash Shop Disabled (for now)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/pre-launch-update?utm_campaign=swbf2_hd_na_ic_soco_twt_swbfii-prelaunchblog-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=42029&ts=1510886556001

At least for now.

That's an, unexpected response, to say the least. That would seem to imply that launch day flopped something fierce on them. Or backlash started coming down from above, either from Disney (in the wake of gambling investigations firing up in the EU) or stockholders in general (several prominent advisors have warned investors to avoid the controversy)

EDIT
Earlier today, Electronic Arts chief executive officer Andrew Wilson had a phone call with The Walt Disney Company chief executive Bob Iger about Star Wars: Battlefront II, according to sources familiar with the situation. A few hours after that call, players are finding out that they can no longer make in-game purchases with real money
(from https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/16/star-wars-battlefront-ii-microtransactions-go-offline-until-ea-can-make-changes/ )

Vader still has to bend knee to the Emperor, looks like.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
My money's on the investigation by the Belgian government. The reason the system was in place was because they know 1.9% of the playerbase are where most of the microtransactions come from, and this controversy would have changed nothing. The bottom line wasn't at risk from gamers again pretending we won't buy a game we otherwise would again, it has to do with the fact we shuck the birdcage so much the government noticed.

Here's hoping lootbox gambling becomes recognised.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
Hopefully this means that they'll actually adjust credit values so that unlocking everything is feasible for the majority of the public and doesn't require buying loot boxes if you want to get everything in less than 4500 hours of grinding

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well seeings how it was known as Project Dolphin while in development, I ain't trusting EA was visited by 3 spirits and now knows the true meaning of Christmas...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Current User Rating on Metacritic (PS4 version, XBox One and PC versions are currently "to be determined"):

This game already holds two World Records.
1: The most down-voted comment in Reddit history.
2: The lowest User Rating in metacritic history.

The amazing part is that when they first announced the game and all the features it would have (i.e. space battles, a campaign, clones'n'droids, etc) it was one of the most highly anticipated games of the year...now look at what EA has made of this steaming pile of shit.

TL/DR: Fuck EA. Fuck them long, and fuck them hard.

:^)

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Seth Carter said:
https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/pre-launch-update?utm_campaign=swbf2_hd_na_ic_soco_twt_swbfii-prelaunchblog-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=42029&ts=1510886556001

At least for now.

That's an, unexpected response, to say the least. That would seem to imply that launch day flopped something fierce on them. Or backlash started coming down from above, either from Disney (in the wake of gambling investigations firing up in the EU) or stockholders in general (several prominent advisors have warned investors to avoid the controversy)

EDIT
Earlier today, Electronic Arts chief executive officer Andrew Wilson had a phone call with The Walt Disney Company chief executive Bob Iger about Star Wars: Battlefront II, according to sources familiar with the situation. A few hours after that call, players are finding out that they can no longer make in-game purchases with real money
(from https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/16/star-wars-battlefront-ii-microtransactions-go-offline-until-ea-can-make-changes/ )

Vader still has to bend knee to the Emperor, looks like.
Someone got a call from 'Mickey', stating if that shit show cuts profit on movies EA gonna pay the piper.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
They remove it temporarily, most gamers will feel like they accomplished something, buy the game and then a week later, oops, it's back on.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wintermute said:
They remove it temporarily, most gamers will feel like they accomplished something, buy the game and then a week later, oops, it's back on.
Other publishers too can claim their game has no microtransactions to get on people's good side, only to patch them in later anyway.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
A lot of people are subscribing to the Conspiracy Theory that EA purposefully made them awful so that when they patch in the "fix" (what they wanted the numbers at since the beginning), people won't be mad and some may even congratulate EA for being so reasonable and great.

Curious to see how this plays out cause so far, it's following that Conspiracy Theory...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
A mighty blow has been struck, but the fight is far from over. Microtransactions are easily startled but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers (I can't claim originality for that joke, but it's an appropriate one). You know they're going to try their absolute hardest to bring back as much bullshit as they can get away with once the dust starts to settle (unless the Belgian inquiry rules that lootboxes are gambling and sets a precedent that other countries follow). I've been on board with many of the decisions Disney has made regarding the Star Wars franchise, but they deserve all the scorn in the world for giving the video game rights to EA. It's poetic justice to see it blow up in both of their faces, even if it's only for a moment.

Hey EA/DICE, know what gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment? Scoring a bunch of kills in a match and getting a prompt to play as Darth Vader in recognition of my performance. I can do that in Pandemic's Battlefront II right now, no grinding or paying for credits required. You know you dun goofed when you're upstaged this badly by a 12-year old game.

Oh yeah, and one more thing; Tie Fighter did the "Imperials are the good guys" perspective 23 years before your game. Stop trying to pretend you're some kind of Star Wars storytelling trailblazer. Yeah I know it's a petty gripe, but I'll take any opportunity to kick EA while they're down right now.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
Oh yeah, and one more thing; Tie Fighter did the "Imperials are the good guys" perspective 23 years before your game. Stop trying to pretend you're some kind of Star Wars storytelling trailblazer. Yeah I know it's a petty gripe, but I'll take any opportunity to kick EA while they're down right now.
Not only that, but it stuck to it. You were an Imperial in TIE Fighter the whole way, and the game did it's damnest to show the Empire in a different light. From what I've heard, Battlefront II is you basically playing female Finn, except it takes you a bit longer to make the switch (or so I've heard from friends with the game, I personally do not own it and have not played it.)

OT: This is obviously because of the Belgian investigation, nothing else. EA does not give a crap about consumer boycotts, because they never work. The silent majority will buy the game anyway (like my friend, who didn't care about lootboxes). But if the big ol' Goverment gets involved.....well it's gon get interestin'.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Neverhoodian said:
But that's the best time to kick EA. Preferably in the nuts and then in the face.

And honestly, I'd love to see another game like TIE FIGHTER in my lifetime. Too bad nobody seems interested in making one.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm sorry EA. This doesn't change a thing in my book. You've proven that you're willing to smuggle microtransactions in AFTER the game has been released. I don't trust you to not backpedal on this. Fuck off.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I?d really like to disable this stupid XBOne Shadow of War ad that opens every time I load a page here, taking up nearly half my phone screen.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
PointlessKnowledge said:
At what point can we just disable EA from the rest of the world?
The moment we can get large numbers of people to boycott a publisher and fucking mean it.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Wintermute said:
Well yeah, this is obviously placation. More placation then the last attempt (when they cut the prices (and stealthily also cut the rewards by an identical amount), but placation nonetheless.

This statement shouldn't really convince anyone to buy a game. Sure, its temporarily not pay-to-win. But its also going to be using a broken progress system until they do whatever. The game was designed to have you buy crystals, so without that option, the systems probably screwed in some form or another. Then if they do do anything meaningful to change it, there's going to be a total system overhaul and you'll potentially be losing all your progression like you were playing a beta.