Star Wars Battlefront 2 Cash Shop Disabled (for now)

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan, and I really got over this game fast.

I'm usually fairly immune to hype, but the hate did wear me down before launch.

I mean, logically, I KNOW I have videogame FOMO and need to see everything, especially in a Star Wars game, so why even bother if it's gonna take 4500 hours to unlock everything?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Seth Carter said:
Wintermute said:
They remove it temporarily, most gamers will feel like they accomplished something, buy the game and then a week later, oops, it's back on.
Well yeah, this is obviously placation. More placation then the last attempt (when they cut the prices (and stealthily also cut the rewards by an identical amount), but placation nonetheless.

This statement shouldn't really convince anyone to buy a game. Sure, its temporarily not pay-to-win. But its also going to be using a broken progress system until they do whatever. The game was designed to have you buy crystals, so without that option, the systems probably screwed in some form or another. Then if they do do anything meaningful to change it, there's going to be a total system overhaul and you'll potentially be losing all your progression like you were playing a beta.
This is, I think, the saddest part. Taking this game and having it achieve the level of great potential it had would require essentially a complete redo. The need for a microtransaction-based economy was the foundation upon which the rest of the game was built.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
Still not worth buying. And you know that EA is still calculating just how they can play this without giving up on their cash-grab.

Furthermore, their model absolutely depends on not only people buying the game, but people actually playing it (because whales need actual people playing the game to enjoy their purchases). So even, by some insane chance I had bought it and couldn't refund it, I would refuse to play it. Don't be their stock-investors' money-making pawns.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
You guys don't understand. Games are so expensive that they need micro transactions. There's no way a niche game like Star Wars Battlefront would ever have the mass market appeal to sell exceptionally well...Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic.

I do hope that the sales figures plummet for this game and send a message that MT's wont make you money... oh who am I kidding this game is probably selling like hot cakes.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Dalisclock said:
Neverhoodian said:
Oh yeah, and one more thing; Tie Fighter did the "Imperials are the good guys" perspective 23 years before your game. Stop trying to pretend you're some kind of Star Wars storytelling trailblazer. Yeah I know it's a petty gripe, but I'll take any opportunity to kick EA while they're down right now.
But that's the best time to kick EA. Preferably in the nuts and then in the face.

And honestly, I'd love to see another game like TIE FIGHTER in my lifetime. Too bad nobody seems interested in making one.
Hey- some of the team is up for it. If only Disney would sit up and take notice.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94475-TIE-Fighter-Developer-Would-Love-a-Remake

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Squilookle said:
Dalisclock said:
Neverhoodian said:
Oh yeah, and one more thing; Tie Fighter did the "Imperials are the good guys" perspective 23 years before your game. Stop trying to pretend you're some kind of Star Wars storytelling trailblazer. Yeah I know it's a petty gripe, but I'll take any opportunity to kick EA while they're down right now.
But that's the best time to kick EA. Preferably in the nuts and then in the face.

And honestly, I'd love to see another game like TIE FIGHTER in my lifetime. Too bad nobody seems interested in making one.
Hey- some of the team is up for it. If only Disney would sit up and take notice.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94475-TIE-Fighter-Developer-Would-Love-a-Remake
Sadly probably not gonna happen. Disney won't even let Ron Gilbert buy the rights to Monkey Island back and Monkey Island isn't an internationally recognized mega brand(or they apparently wanted a ton of cash for it).

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I wonder if EA is going to murder Dice now. This fits right in their usual pattern of forcing devs to make very poor gameplay decisions and then killing off the developers when it blows up in their face.

This whole flop is giving me Simcity vibes.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
If EA thinks they're getting any good will from this they've got another thing coming. As I said on Jim Sterling's video on this, for EA to get back in my good graces they'd pretty much have to donate an entire year's worth of profits to feed the hungry and build 5 orphanages. And that's on top of permanently cutting that shit out.

Jan 19, 2016
Hades said:
I wonder if EA is going to murder Dice now. This fits right in their usual pattern of forcing devs to make very poor gameplay decisions and then killing off the developers when it blows up in their face.

This whole flop is giving me Simcity vibes.
DICE is pretty safe because they develop the Frostbite engine that all EA studios use. They might stop making games, but they will still exist to develop and maintain the engine.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Dalisclock said:
Yeah. It's rare to see a game where the pragmatic side of evil is showcased. The Emperor may be a dictator, but at least he shut down that civil war and forced peace down everyone's throat. People often defend a tyrant not because they love him, but because the fear what might replace him and that's a motivation rarely explored in the video game world.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I don't know how long I've been hearing the phrase "Games as a service" without realizing exactly what that means. We should have been making noise a lot sooner.

My only worry is that in some games, I kinda like the "gambling" mechanics. I'd hate to see good games harmed by over regulation. Maybe rule it so that if the game has an initial starting fee (so not F2P) crate unlocks can never be a duplicate item? Of course you'd have to define what a game with a starting fee is, otherwise they'd just drop games like Battlefront for free and then charge for every bit of content you'd want to engage with.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Signa said:
I don't know how long I've been hearing the phrase "Games as a service" without realizing exactly what that means. We should have been making noise a lot sooner.

My only worry is that in some games, I kinda like the "gambling" mechanics. I'd hate to see good games harmed by over regulation. Maybe rule it so that if the game has an initial starting fee (so not F2P) crate unlocks can never be a duplicate item? Of course you'd have to define what a game with a starting fee is, otherwise they'd just drop games like Battlefront for free and then charge for every bit of content you'd want to engage with.
Regulations vary from region to region, and the only current examples we have are Overwatch and Hearthstone which have been deemed gambling in China and a handful of other Asian countries.

Generally though, it would mean you can't sell the game to minors, odds have to be clearly stated (and potentially audited by the regulator), and possibly some warning disclaimers about gambling habits/addictions/practices.

The first is kind of obvious why they don't want it, though you can just look at GTA to see that not hitting minors is maybe a lukewarm concern at best. The second is an interesting potential concern, because audits might mean looking at their actual code. The third puts a bad spin on the game in theory, but players would probably read it as much as they do the warning about epilepsy, or not removing the disc and eating it while saving.