Star Wars Battlefront 3 Fan Remake Reportedly Steam Bound

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
In before cease and desist order. There's no way control freaks like Disney and EA will let this see the light of day.

Sep 14, 2009
as much as I want this to go through, just for the sheer fact of slapping EA in the face with their contentless battlefrontless game they released to show them what fans really wanted...

I can't imagine that this will actually reach completion, either from the studio not having the willpower to pull through, or disney bringing the hammer down.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Let's hope this is the Cities: Skylines to Battlefront 2015's SimCity 2013. Fingers crossed it doesn't get buried by Disney lawyers before I get to play it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
008Zulu said:
Since it's being handed out for free, it'll be difficult to sue them for copyright infringement since no money is being earned from it.
That's the one saving grace for this, the one hope that it'll actually get to launch and stay around.

Then again, other free games that used copyrighted IP's have been ordered to shut down, so we'll have to wait and see.

Fingers definitely crossed, though.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
I don't care that it's free. THROW MONEY AT IT.
Why, the video looked awful. A slow paced freeze frame of random battlefield scenes followed by the only gameplay being of some clunky third person view shooting on a bland looking landing pad with rubbish ground textures and nothing going on in the skybox behind it followed by a 2 second flight of a Tie Advanced doing a loop de loop, again on a bland looking skybox with nothing else happening around it.

Throw money at it, I wouldn't waste the bandwidth downloading the free version of it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Assets and footage of such does not a game make. Nor does it guarantee it will be anything remotely better than EA/DICE's Battlefront. Change your pants folks, take off the "I hate EA" glasses for a moment and reexamine whats been shown. Nothing to see here and not a damn thing to get excited over.
Sorry, but fan made projects aren't 100% better everytime than AAA dev work. Actually if you want to count it, fan made shit has a smaller success rate than AAA gaming. Also EA and Disney will most likely shoot this down anyway, free or not.
Move along.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
That doesn't say much, but the fact that it's in the works brings a spark of excitement at least. Who knows guys, who knows. I like what another poster said here, maybe this'll be like a Cities: Skyline - Simcity situation. We can all hope.
Adam Jensen said:
In before cease and desist order. There's no way control freaks like Disney and EA will let this see the light of day.
Then again, would Valve's lawyer division would've allowed Valve to pick this up if they wouldn't be sure enough that Disney wouldn't do that?

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
I would not put it past Valve not to fold like a deck of cards at the slightest sign of legal action. In recent years with respect to steam they have been largely about rubber-stamping anything and everything and trying their very best to avoid getting involved with steam at all.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Read the title and thought "Oh, hey, someone is making a spiritual successor to Battlefront 2 that is just removed enough from the IP that Disney might not C&D and Valve might even offer legal help in case the D tries to kill the project and studio by drawn out litigation." Then, I saw the beginning of the trailer and started to have doubts of this seeing the light of day. Finally, I saw the end and said, "shit, they're using the damn Star Wars music, too. Now Youtube's content ID system is going to summon all of Disney's lawyers to come suck their blood dry. The game is now on an express lane to doom (and not the good kind with chainsaws and BFGs)."

My best guess is Valve okayed this so the controversy from Disney's Army of Atrocious Attorneys(TM) doing their thing will drum up free publicity and support for when Valve hires guys from this studio to make their own version of Battlefront. I don't know what's worse Disney and EA regurgitating a piss poor Battlefront sequel while condemning fan attempts at reviving what made the old games great or the possibility of Valve tricking this team into thinking Valve has their backs, waiting for the megacorp to strike and "offering" to take them in. Maybe I'm just pessimistic and paranoid here, but one of the companies know for hiring mod teams to make their new games suddenly supporting something known to rile up IP lawyers is setting off some warnings in my head.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
OK guys, I think these devs are pretty well protected from any 'suits since, you know, Valve. EA may be powerful but Valve is coming to be a powerhouse with the insane massive amount of money they make from Steam purchases alone. If anything, they're gonna give Disney and EA a run for their money.

Hairless Mammoth said:
the possibility of Valve tricking this team into thinking Valve has their backs, waiting for the megacorp to strike and "offering" to take them in. Maybe I'm just pessimistic and paranoid here, but one of the companies know for hiring mod teams to make their new games suddenly supporting something known to rile up IP lawyers is setting off some warnings in my head.
Why would they need a lawsuit from megacorp to hire them? If they wanted them, they would have asked already. And publicity for what? Nothing to promote right now besides their VR stuff.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I want to be excited, but EA and Disney... Stepping on the toes of two MASSIVE companies is dangerous enough, but those two are particularly evil. Disney especially is an IP black hole and high lord of copyright law.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
I have some hope for this, unless Disney intends to take on modding as well as valve (assuming that valve stays true to its word about defending them) but then again, this is Disney and EA with their inferior 60$ game