Star Wars: Battlefront Already "Well Into Development"

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
"will have a third person component".

Oh shit don't tell me you fuckwads are turning this into a primarily FPS title, are you? It's not squad based tactics in outer space, where you pick and choose your loadouts. It's a human wave simulator with distinct class based warfare. Get it right or don't do it at all.
I'm...really confused. Either you're complaining that it will have a third person component or you're complaining that third person is only a component. In which case I'd direct you to the rest of the quote...

hinting that the series won't be shifting to first-person a la DICE's Battlefield franchise, or at least not entirely.
That's not even counting that your objection doesn't make sense in the first place since even in Battlefronts 1 and 2 third person was a "component". You could just as easily play those games from the first person perspective.

I also have no clue what the camera perspective has to do with whether or not it's a loadout system or a class system.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
RJ 17 said:
Heros...which were often so overpowered that they could singlehandedly win a battle...I'm looking at you, Darth Maul...>.>
*reminiscent sigh*

i remember the good ole days, where i could win an entire victory and capture the enemies sole spawn point with darth maul...

ended battles before they even fuckin started, that's how you win wars gentlemen.
Seriously, he was ridiculous. There were certain battlefields where you could just march right down the field Darth Maul and win by controlling all spawnpoints while the enemy still had 3/4s of their army left. He was just so damn fast, his lightsaber-throw could wipe out swarms of enemies and rip vehicles to shreds, and his regular attacks pretty much did the same. The only person that compared to him was the twi'lek (spelling) jedi chick that had 2 lightsabers, but even her flurry of attacks just couldn't clear a crowd like all of Maul's flipping and spinning and just fucking shit up.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
yeah, fine... fine... Now get a team together - maybe including some of the people that got laid off from Raven Software - and make a new Jedi Knight game.

Sep 14, 2009
RJ 17 said:
gmaverick019 said:
RJ 17 said:
Heros...which were often so overpowered that they could singlehandedly win a battle...I'm looking at you, Darth Maul...>.>
*reminiscent sigh*

i remember the good ole days, where i could win an entire victory and capture the enemies sole spawn point with darth maul...

ended battles before they even fuckin started, that's how you win wars gentlemen.
Seriously, he was ridiculous. There were certain battlefields where you could just march right down the field Darth Maul and win by controlling all spawnpoints while the enemy still had 3/4s of their army left. He was just so damn fast, his lightsaber-throw could wipe out swarms of enemies and rip vehicles to shreds, and his regular attacks pretty much did the same. The only person that compared to him was the twi'lek (spelling) jedi chick that had 2 lightsabers, but even her flurry of attacks just couldn't clear a crowd like all of Maul's flipping and spinning and just fucking shit up.
lol yup, i remember capturing the entire field while they still had 113 or some left in their army, had one big ass fucking grin on my face lightsabering 10 clone troopers in less than a couple seconds.

thankfully i played very little online (goes to show you how much bf2 really shined, i put in 1000 hours in offline mode, conquest and campaign were hella fun) so i didn't have to deal with OP darth maul mowing me down.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
RJ 17 said:
*reminiscent sigh*

I have fond memories of playing that unstoppable, overpowered bastard. Any fight while playing Darth Maul that takes place within a cramped corridor is an instant curbstomp, and that lightsaber throw of his can clear entire crowds. It was amazing.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ldude893 said:
gmaverick019 said:
RJ 17 said:
*reminiscent sigh*

I have fond memories of playing that unstoppable, overpowered bastard. Any fight while playing Darth Maul that takes place within a cramped corridor is an instant curbstomp, and that lightsaber throw of his can clear entire crowds. It was amazing.
Good god, you play as him on the Jedi Temple map and yeah, gg clone army. There was that spawnpoint that was up some stairs off to the side of the Council room...those stairs became an absolute slaughterhouse as the clones charge down it trying to retake the Council room. Just spend a minute there and you'll wipe out half their army.

gmaverick019 said:
RJ 17 said:
gmaverick019 said:
RJ 17 said:
*reminiscent sigh*

lol yup, i remember capturing the entire field while they still had 113 or some left in their army, had one big ass fucking grin on my face lightsabering 10 clone troopers in less than a couple seconds.

thankfully i played very little online (goes to show you how much bf2 really shined, i put in 1000 hours in offline mode, conquest and campaign were hella fun) so i didn't have to deal with OP darth maul mowing me down.
Yeah, I only ever played against the computer, and Droids were always my favorite faction. Primarily because of Darth Maul, but they also had the most OP special unit: the rolly-polly bubble-shield droid (I forget what they're called...or at least how to spell it :p). Even if you don't have the Hero perk set for the round, just play as one of those buggers and mow down everything with devastating hit-and-run strikes.

I also like their spaceships the best for the space battles. :3

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Excited, thrilled. Lucasarts went to the shitter the last few years of its life and while EA is PR-unfriendly, I don't share the "mass" opinion of hate they usually garner. BF3 is a solid game even though single player is boring, but I have at least a little more faith that DICE knows not to reskin their current game with Star Wars models. I'd love to see real world-sized battles with orbit to atmosphere transitions in realtime. Fight on foot, then watch as your army is decimated by the Star Destroyer as it employs those turbolasers as intended, then hop in an X-Wing and take that sucker down with TRD.
I have hope, and even if it doesn't live up to my dreams I still don't feel it will be a failure either.
BTW, the original BF series was an FPS with 3rd person components so I don't know why people be hatin other than "Oh look, EA news! Let's roll out the hate wagons."

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I just ask two things: 1: Have heros return as playable characters in multiplayer maps and 2: Have that one mode where all people in the game were heros in a good v.s. evil game. Oh, and have the Hoth map. That map was the shit.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I picked up Battlefront 2 during a Star Wars Day sale and was surprised at the quality for its time; especially the space combat.
So naturally, I'm curious to see which direction they take this: Is it going to be excellent, or is it going to be another generic first or third person shooter clothed in Star Wars.

Sadly, it's kind of a moot point to me, since I haven't bought any EA published title since 2008, and I have no intention of changing that policy until EA changes their tune. (spoilers: they won't. They haven't changed their core business philosophy in over a decade, why start now?)

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Meh, Battlefront. If we're going to get another game in a Star Wars franchise, it ought to be another X-Wing/TIE Fighter game.

Not that I want EA to have anything to do with it, mind you.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Huh, so they were making a new one. Can't believe I actually missed that.
I hope they make it just like the previous one with fancy new graphics, that's all I want.
Well, that and Ventress wielding linksabers. That would be badass.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
I picked up Battlefront 2 during a Star Wars Day sale and was surprised at the quality for its time; especially the space combat.
So naturally, I'm curious to see which direction they take this: Is it going to be excellent, or is it going to be another generic first or third person shooter clothed in Star Wars.

Sadly, it's kind of a moot point to me, since I haven't bought any EA published title since 2008, and I have no intention of changing that policy until EA changes their tune. (spoilers: they won't. They haven't changed their core business philosophy in over a decade, why start now?)
The thing is, Battlefront has always been a generic shooter, its the Vehicle section, the scale of the maps, the classes and the introduction of playable hero's in BF 2 that really sold the franchise, It took everything from other shooters, mashed them together, and did it perfectly.

The only way DICE and EA could screw it up is if they take just one of those key elements out (apart from maybe playable hero's, i could live without that...) and lets face it, EA isn't that stupid, DICE know's what we want, and tbh, i feel so does EA.

To be honest, i would rather DICE make this than say, Square Enix or Epic Games, sure they make good games, But DICE know how to make very good shooters, despite what everyone says about Battlefield (COD clone etc) it's a very fun franchise.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Very relieved to hear the third person persepective is being retained; it just wouldn't be the same if it wasn't in there at all.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
amaranth_dru said:
BTW, the original BF series was an FPS with 3rd person components so I don't know why people be hatin other than "Oh look, EA news! Let's roll out the hate wagons."
It was mainly third person, with the FPS option feeling like an afterthought.

The way they say 'Third person components' makes it feel like it'll be the other way round in Battlefront 3.

Hell, 'components' makes it sound like there's not even an option for full third person. It makes it sound like there'll be a bit now and again where we can go third person, like in vehicles or when using turrets or something.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
It's just EA that's stupid right?
I mean, yes, DICE is heavily rooted in Battlefield, but they wouldn't uproot all the qualities that make the game good... would they?

Cautious optimisim over: I do find the idea of destructive environments in the star wars universe appealing. Ohh, how about when playing as a Jedi/Sith, you use the force to destroy a wall that'll allow your troops to enter the enemy outpost and then pick up what's left of the debris and throw it at the enemy team?

-OR-

While piloting an AT-AT, you can stomp on an enemy occupied building and destroy it that way because you just can. I remember in Bad Company 2, I would just drive the tanks into the buildings and then take a couple of shots at the enemy team as well as blowing out the supports on the other side.

BlueCasket

Jul 24, 2013
It makes me laugh how people are saying "Oh this better not just be Battlefield: Star Wars edition." EA already not only confirmed that it WOULD NOT be Battlefield: Star Wars edition, but they would hate to do that because "it would be boring." Don't believe me? Google it. I was skeptical too, but with that earlier post and the fact that there WILL be third person, I'm super fired up. :D

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
When I see the title all I can think of is the title translates to "EA is rushing Battlefront 3 out ASAP to steal your $$$ before you realize its crap".

I would love to be proven wrong but I don't believe any AAA developer today could make a battlefront 3 that does the series justice. There is too much homogenous BS in the AAA market these days to think that it wont make it to battlefront 3. Especially at the helm of one of the greatest offenders in the game industry.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Logan Allison said:
It makes me laugh how people are saying "Oh this better not just be Battlefield: Star Wars edition." EA already not only confirmed that it WOULD NOT be Battlefield: Star Wars edition, but they would hate to do that because "it would be boring." Don't believe me? Google it. I was skeptical too, but with that earlier post and the fact that there WILL be third person, I'm super fired up. :D
Remember when Bioware was on top of the world and said that your decision in the Mass Effect series would have a real implication to the way the story concluded? Yeah companies lie and change direction so please don't be so naive.

BlueCasket

Jul 24, 2013
GAunderrated said:
Logan Allison said:
Remember when Bioware was on top of the world and said that your decision in the Mass Effect series would have a real implication to the way the story concluded? Yeah companies lie and change direction so please don't be so naive.
Choices having a real implication within a game isn't exactly the same as how all of the techniques and gameplay mechanics come together to make the game what it is and give it a certain feel. You may choose to remain skeptical, and that's fine, but I've chosen to take it for what it's been set up as and I will support it until I play it for myself and determine whether it was worth it or not.