Star Wars Battlefront Bespin Expansion Announced

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Star Wars Battlefront Bespin Expansion Announced

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1312/1312126.jpgEA has announced the next expansion for Star Wars Battlefront, and it's taking us to Bespin.

If you picked up the Season Pass for Star Wars Battlefront, you're probably ready for the second expansion. EA has now announced what that expansion will entail.

The Bespin expansion will take you to the massive gas planet, and let you visit a number of iconic locations. According to the EA blog post [http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/coming-soon-to-star-wars-battlefront-this-spring], "You'll see AT-ATs in Cloud City, take to the skies in Fighter Squadron, and even spend time in a carbonite chamber."

The expansion will also add more blasters, more star cards, and two new hero characters: Lando Calrissian and Dengar. You might remember Dengar as the turban-wearing bounty hunter brought in by Darth Vader during The Empire Strikes Back.

The blog post also details upcoming free additions to the game coming over the next few months. They include various events, new Hutt contracts, new content, and confirmation that there will be some special activities for Star Wars Day (May 4).

If you've been looking for an excuse to get back to Battlefront, this could be just what you are looking for.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
"You'll see AT-Ats in Cloud City"

Lolwut?

I guess I always perceived Cloud City as being pretty much that, a floating city and all the pics I ever saw showed rather tight architecture and streets unsuitable for big vehicles like say, a giant mechanical camel.
Even in the original Battlefront Bespin was a pure infantry/space map with no ground vehicles around.

Ah well not a big retcon but yeh that kinda stood out for me.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Frankster said:

Lolwut?

I guess I always perceived Cloud City as being pretty much that, a floating city and all the pics I ever saw showed rather tight architecture and streets unsuitable for big vehicles like say, a giant mechanical camel.
Even in the original Battlefront Bespin was a pure infantry/space map with no ground vehicles around.

You're not the only one going, "Wait...what?" Because yeah, Bespin seemed pretty confined for an AT-AT. I mean, I guess one could be rolling down main street, but that would make it a painfully easy target with lots of buildings to hide in. It'd be more of a show of force than a threat.

Good to see Lando getting some recognition here, but I'm still wondering where Chewie is. Not that it matters. I got the platinum for this and I'm kind of done with it now. New maps and trophies are nice and all, but the game really needed a single player to keep me interested in it beyond the initial release. Maybe if these maps ever go for super cheap, or they release a complete collection for really cheap somewhere down the line, I'll give it a shot.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
You're not the only one going, "Wait...what?" Because yeah, Bespin seemed pretty confined for an AT-AT.
Well Walker Assault is their only game mode that isn't boring as shit after five rounds, so they'd have to cram it in somehow.

Mar 26, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
You're not the only one going, "Wait...what?" Because yeah, Bespin seemed pretty confined for an AT-AT.
Well Walker Assault is their only game mode that isn't boring as shit after five rounds, so they'd have to cram it in somehow.
Exactly! Totally doesn't fit Bespin. Even the old Battlefront II Bespin map doesn't lend itself to it. Are they going to be stomping across the landing pads?

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Frankster said:

Lolwut?

Tactically it doesn't even sound as a good idea. Imagine manouvering that beast without crashing in a couple of buildings.
In a city with tight passages were the AT-AT can't even get a good aim, you wont even need the snowspeeder and a cable to bring it down.
The architecture itself will provide good cover for ambushes and boarding.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels bringing an At-At to Bespin would be tactically unwise.

Objectable said:
Maybe they meant AT-ST's? There are ground vehicles you can pilot in the game, right?
As others say, they are probably doing this to shoe horn in Walker Assault so even though that would make a LOT more sense, I fear that was no typo.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Exactly! Totally doesn't fit Bespin. Even the old Battlefront II Bespin map doesn't lend itself to it. Are they going to be stomping across the landing pads?
SWBFII doesn't have Bespin maps, probably because they removed in-atmosphere star fighters. Meaning it would have been purely infantry gameplay.

OT: Good on them to keep all their modes universal, and while I don't doubt that Cloud City could support ATATs, it is pretty weird to think about.

I like that Lando is coming, but Dengar? Are you fucking kidding me? The toilet paper man? I don't know who the fuck at DICE is making these decisions.

Soviet Heavy said:
So how many maps does the game have now?
7 free, I think maybe 13 including previous DLC and this DLC. That's big maps only though, there are actually a ton of small maps for the smaller game modes.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I only pray that EA further alters the deal.

...Mostly for a more logical battle setup, like I dunno, JUST DOGFIGHTS?

Sep 24, 2008
Gatlank said:
Frankster said:

Lolwut?

Tactically it doesn't even sound as a good idea. Imagine manouvering that beast without crashing in a couple of buildings.
In a city with tight passages were the AT-AT can't even get a good aim, you wont even need the snowspeeder and a cable to bring it down.
The architecture itself will provide good cover for ambushes and boarding.
Think Tactically, my friends.

You're in a cloud city. So what are your defenses? Giant Anti-air Cannons.

Anyone who knows Starcraft basic battle tactics is you fight anti-air with ground.

These people who thought this up are geniuses. We need to sign them up to deal with North Korea.

Oh, and if your sarcasm radar was going off the charts, you don't need to get it checked. It's functioning normally.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Dr.Awkward said:
I only pray that EA further alters the deal.

...Mostly for a more logical battle setup, like I dunno, JUST DOGFIGHTS?
They do mention that there are Fighter Squadron maps. But then Fighter Squadron is complete crap.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
I like that Lando is coming, but Dengar? Are you fucking kidding me? The toilet paper man? I don't know who the fuck at DICE is making these decisions.
DICE kind of hamstringed itself by limiting the game to the OT movies only. Who does the Empire have that makes for a hero character?

Vader and the Emperor.

And that's it. Every other Imperial is either a faceless mook or a non-combatant officer (eg Tarkin). Boba Fett is not part of the Empire and arguably more linked to Jabba the Hutt. So that leaves DICE with second/third stringers like Greedo, who at least had some dialogue, and the bounty hunters from Empire for recognizable characters. And I'd say the lizardman and droid, Bossk and IG-88, fit that bill better than toilet paper man. I could actually visualize them from memory, whereas I had to look up Dengar (and discovered there were actually 2 more bounty hunters I didn't even remember in that scene).

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Lando and Dengar are much better choices than Greedo and Nien. I'll give them that much. ATATs on Bespin is ridiculous though.

The game still has a long way to go before I'd go near it with a ten foot pole.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Bob_McMillan said:
Agreed. Dengar? He's in the film for, at most, 3 seconds. He's just a guy with toilet paper on his head!
There are a million better characters to chose from. Hell, I'd rather be a Jawa.

Mar 30, 2010
Oh shit, I've just remembered! I own Battlefront. That was a thing for a while, right? :/

Seriously, I played the shit out of that game the month it came out, but I don't think I've even considered playing it since. Maybe time to give it another look (at least until Doom comes out anyway).

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Does Battlefront have a singleplayer mode and bots, finally?