Star Wars: Battlefront Makes Its Debut

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
tdylan said:
Hero in a half shell said:
A lot less leveling and unlockables also contributed to a different experience, although all shooters are going that way now.
This is EA though. So ask yourself, "how are they gonna go about monetizing it?"
Sad, but true. Here's hoping they aren't going to charge "arm, leg, and small child" for the privilege - PRIVILEGE, like they seem to think it is - of being a hero unit.

Yet, I will still remain hopeful, for I had a blast with Battlefront 2 with my brother. If this one's as good, or even better than 2, I'm buying a copy for the both of us. Hell, I'll even go and install Origin if the pros outweigh the cons...

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
So this is what we get after an entire year, video footage of Dice putsing around their office going on about how faithful they are being while not showing anything, I understand if you don't have the game in enough of a working order to give us a gameplay trailer but a CGI one showing us what you have in mind would be nice.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
tdylan said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Ah... ah.... Beautiful looking. Will it pass muster? We shall see. But glad they're giving it the full attention it deserves.
They also gave BF4 the attentions it deserved. Look how well that turned out. I'll pass on this one, and hope that the lessons learned from it are applied to a stellar Republic Commando.
Considering the turnout of BF4, I don't think they gave adequate attention to it. Doesn't seem like they're rushing it like BF4 was, but we've all differing opinons and no insider knowledge so the point is moot anyway. Opinions aren't fact, so as I said, time will ultimately tell.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
One thing I hope for is not having the ability to simply teleport into vehicles. It's just silly and I don't know how people can justify it. I'm looking at you, Battlefield!

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Flammablezeus said:
One thing I hope for is not having the ability to simply teleport into vehicles. It's just silly and I don't know how people can justify it. I'm looking at you, Battlefield!
Because it's annoying getting shot while waiting for a canned animation to play through?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
tdylan said:
A lot less leveling and unlockables also contributed to a different experience, although all shooters are going that way now.
This is EA though. So ask yourself, "how are they gonna go about monetizing it?"
I'm predicting a quick-leveling purchase option, most likely microtransaction based 'random' drop packs that you don't know what you are buying until the random item is announced (and they include consumable items that can be purchased - just to really screw with you.)
Unlocking much of these options in game will be artificially made more challenging through excessive grind/limitations imposed.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm also pretty certain I won't be (this option may also be added a few months after launch to mitigate the fan-rage)

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
The Pink Pansy said:
Genocidicles said:
I'm still hoping against hope this isn't just a typical EA shooter with a Star Wars skin.

Also there is a typo in the title. There shouldn't be an apostrophe in 'it's'. 'It's' is a contraction of 'it is', it's not possessive.
Wait.. what? That's all the original Star Wars: Battlefront ever was; a knockoff of Battlefield with a star wars skin. If the finished game is what you describe, it'll be a decent game.
EA shooter =/= Battlefield. The Battlefield games you are talking about are the classic Battlefield games like 2142 and such, the ones EA tried to kill recently.

What Geno probably means is the EA shooter, the Modern Military Shooter / Spunkgargleweewee (If you insist on calling them that) with poorly designed maps, lens flare, terrible netcode, paid DLC rather than bugfixes and microtransactions. This is very different to a Battlefield game in the vein of the classic games that Battlefront is based off of.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
Getting off the hype train before I arrive at the same sad, miserable buggy station that BF4 was/is? (Have not touched it or done anything with it in months). Might get back on if EA fixes its act.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
DaWaffledude said:
Flammablezeus said:
Because it's annoying getting shot while waiting for a canned animation to play through?
I should rephrase: I hope we won't be able to simply spawn into vehicles. However, I do also have an issue with teleporting into vehicles instead of taking the one or two seconds to hop in that it should take. If you're hopping into a vehicle in enemy-territory, then yes there should be a risk of getting shot. That shouldn't be an issue if you hop in the vehicle at your base though. Just have the base for each team be designated a non-combat zone for the other team, like in Battlefield.

After all, what's war without the risk of getting shot? I'd also like to point out that it's annoying to have a great shot lined up with somebody in the middle of a combat zone only for them to suddenly teleport into that big hunk of armour next to them without a pause. It's just too silly.

Sep 14, 2009
The Pink Pansy said:
Genocidicles said:
I'm still hoping against hope this isn't just a typical EA shooter with a Star Wars skin.

Also there is a typo in the title. There shouldn't be an apostrophe in 'it's'. 'It's' is a contraction of 'it is', it's not possessive.
Wait.. what? That's all the original Star Wars: Battlefront ever was; a knockoff of Battlefield with a star wars skin. If the finished game is what you describe, it'll be a decent game.
I know for Battlefront 2 it had some crucial differences that made it a very different experience. 3rd Person view creates a pretty big difference for starters, and then there is the match scoring system of depleting reinforcements with flag capture points being secondary instead of just using flag capture points to decide the winner like Battlefield does.

yuppp this, i'm a huge 3rd person fan and playing battlefront II and battlefield 3 and 4 are differences of night and day to me, I put over 1000 hours into battlefront 2 so if this is just "battlefield 4:star wars skin!" then EA can fuck right off and I'll go back to playing battlefront II to my hearts content. I'm going to watch gameplay and single player videos HEAVILY before I spend money on this, BUT if it ends up being a TRUE successor to battlefront II then I'll drop 60 bucks faster than quantum entanglement

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Jeez DICE is trying way too hard. Not to mention completely missing the point.

They're trying to appeal to the Star Wars purists, assuring them that they won't be screwing with George Lucas' "original masterpiece" and some appeals to the "ooooooooh, shiny graphikz" crowd. The issue there is no one who's going to play this game gives a shit about that.

They want to know if this game plays the same (or better) than the previous instalments and if EA will be breathing down DICE's neck, forcing microtransactions and a rushed product out the door before it's ready. Functionally this was just another CGI trailer, all fluff and no substance.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Hunter85792 said:

They're trying to appeal to the Star Wars purists, assuring them that they won't be screwing with George Lucas' "original masterpiece" and some appeals to the "ooooooooh, shiny graphikz" crowd. The issue there is no one who's going to play this game gives a shit about that.

They want to know if this game plays the same (or better) than the previous instalments and if EA will be breathing down DICE's neck, forcing microtransactions and a rushed product out the door before it's ready. Functionally this was just another CGI trailer, all fluff and no substance.
Okay so you've been given the keys to one of the most beloved shooter franchises which also happens to be Star Wars, and with the rabidness of the fanbase, do you really think DICE want to be in a position where they piss everyone off by releasing a shitty game? And also wouldn't you also want to show off what you were allowed to do so you were able to achieve what will hopefully be a decent star wars game? Yes I get the EA skepticism, and right on board with everyone with that, however is it too much to have a New Hope? or is the Empire going to strike back? as long as we see the Return of the Jedis in the game i'm going to be happy.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
42 said:
Hunter85792 said:

Okay so you've been given the keys to one of the most beloved shooter franchises which also happens to be Star Wars, and with the rabidness of the fanbase, do you really think DICE want to be in a position where they piss everyone off by releasing a shitty game?
They're not appealing to star wars purists. They're appealing to star wars battlefront fans. There are fans of Star Wars that have no interest in any of the games, just like there are fans that have no interest in the expanded universe. Star Wars fans are varied. DICE should not be making this game to appeal to ALL Star Wars fans. Trying to get fans of "The Force Unleashed" on board is gonna lead to the pooch being royally screwed.

Do we think DICE wasn't to be in a position to piss off everyone by releasing a shitty game? That's precisely what they did with BF3, and then perfected pissing people off with BF4. Battlefield is a beloved shooter franchise. Unlike Star Wars, that's all it ever was. All Battlefield ever has been was a beloved shooter franchise. DICE wasn't given the keys to it, DICE owned it. And they fucked it up royally. They can't take care of their own house, but we're gonna trust them to treat someone else's with the reverence that it deserves? With EA ( E mother fucking A) breathing down their necks about DLC, monetization, and keeping to release dates?

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
The Pink Pansy said:
Genocidicles said:

Having played primarily Battlefield 1942, 2 and Battlefront 2, I would vehemently disagree.
Battlefront 2 was VASTLY different from either of those Battlefields, or modern Battlefields. Different POV, different gun mechanics and feel to the weapons, heroes, space combat, slightly different match mechanics - it felt completely different to Battlefield 2 or 1942, and that's why I played it instead of those two. Not the Star Wars setting, as I got over that fast, but the different feel to the gameplay and mechanics.

If Battlefront 3 feels like any shooter in recent history, I'll be disappointed. I don't want low-accuracy, massive recoil guns that force iron sight usage, ridiculously fast death times such that you're gone in less than half a second, resulting in the game being a battle of twitch mechanics over accurassy [Especially with the above mentioned required aiming. All gameplay boils down to for me in modern shooters is point in general direction, right click, shoot. Whoever does that fastest wins], with small arenas where you generally either run into people 1 at a time, or a group camping one location - I want a Battlefront game. I'll take back what I said before, I would love it if it felt like Natural Selection 2 shooting. No need for iron sights, no massive spread and recoil - your own accurassy is what matters. You're not dead instantly [Unless you're shotgunned to the face], and you'll run into groups actually MOVING FORWARD and dodging and shooting, rather than hiding behind cover and trying to get sniper shots on their enemies. That's the fun stuff. Dear god I hope Battlefront 3 is more like that, and nothing like the modern Battlefield series.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
As well as agreeing with all the hope that's it's not just another MMS with a Star Wars skin, I also hope they have bots, like the previous games. It could be the finest shooter ever made, making it multiplayer only will ensure I will not buy it, which will be sad, given how much I loved the first 2.