Star Wars Battlefront: UPDATE 2: The Missing Content Strikes Back.

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
Pretty lame ---

You know, the PR schemes these games come up with are so elaborate. They had this one long commercial about this game where the developers and programmers were going through the old Lucas arts props with the dramatic music playing in the background, going to the various location where the scenes were shot, showing you awe inspired developers shaping their creations on their computers with the whole " We want to re-discover the art and lore of star wars"...

Now you get this bit about them and having space battles " too difficult". Huh? So you guys went to the red wood forests, risked the sandstorms of the Gobi Dessert and froze your butt's off in the tundra just to let us know that creating a dual space to world based model wasn't feesable... with new gen tech.

Nice...

Well.

You guys know that the space part will allll be DLC related. They haven't thrown it out, their just fishing for us to basically pay Day 1 or the initial 60... in order to find out that you'll have to pay 100.00 more to get the rest of the game just as their basically doing with everything else these days.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
got no problem with no classes personally, actually I prefer it, means we get to craft our own classes rather than built a playstyle within restrictions (also it's a pain having to chop and change for playstyle mixups).

I'm at somewhat of an advantage personally as I never played any other games in the series, though.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
MirenBainesUSMC said:
Pretty lame ---

You guys know that the space part will allll be DLC related. They haven't thrown it out, their just fishing for us to basically pay Day 1 or the initial 60... in order to find out that you'll have to pay 100.00 more to get the rest of the game just as their basically doing with everything else these days.
I'm not convinced EA would be dumb enough to keep such a huge chunk back as DLC. The statement given seemed like a pretty definite "It's just not going to happen"

If they do put it as a DLC pack I can see all hell breaking loose, I'd be more inclined to think they've just thrown it out the window as with only 4 planets there's not going to be all that much reason for space combat.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Wait wait wait, the AT-AT is on rails What the fuck!? One of my favorite tactics in Battlefront 2 was driving the AT-AT over the snow dunes on the very edge of the map to outflank the Rebel trench line.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Wait wait wait, the AT-AT is on rails What the fuck!? One of my favorite tactics in Battlefront 2 was driving the AT-AT over the snow dunes on the very edge of the map to outflank the Rebel trench line.
I heard something similar to that as well but when I read it they only mentioned that the on the rails stuff happened on Endor. So maybe because of the close confines of the forest the AT-AT section their is limited but on bigger open areas like Hoth players will be given more movement.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Soviet Heavy said:
It's more of a mode actually. The rebels are supposed to prevent the ATAT from advancing.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
All we want is Battlefront 1 and 2 with better graphics and more maps.

How can they make something so WRONG when it's so SIMPLE because the game has been made before?

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
endtherapture said:

How can they make something so WRONG when it's so SIMPLE because the game has been made before?
That is a good question. It's not like this is a game with outdated design principles in need of updating either, like oh so many games from the 90s and before. And even those game people question why changes are necessary when the result is that end product, that is supposed to be a remake, ends up as something entirely different.

EA is great at screwing up "remakes" - Just look at "Syndicate" or "Dungeon Keeper".

Fact is that what Battlefront did is what Battlefield is still pretty much doing to this day.

Except with Star Wars and all the iconic imagery and scenes we are familiar with from that franchise.

Which we will get even less of with this "remake". What is the point of a remake if it's less and seemingly worse than the original? Are we supposed to just be awed by the amazing graphics? I can't say I've been impressed by graphics once in the last 5 or so years.

If they want to make not Battlefront, they shouldn't name it Battlefront or pretend that it's a "remake", rather than just a cynical attempt at rewriting history to establish a lower standard and make us forget what we used to have - Which is really what I think they are trying to do with these identical titles.

Bob_McMillan said:
Soviet Heavy said:
It's more of a mode actually. The rebels are supposed to prevent the ATAT from advancing.
That was the point of the Hoth maps in Battlefront 1 and 2 as well (Because they were spawn points and your opponent moving their spawn points closer to yours is bad). The difference is that players were actually in control.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror..."

The instant I saw "in-engine footage" plastered all over the reveal trailer, I knew it was all going to be bullshit. It was the same instant I realized how pissed off and disappointed all of the Wars fans were going to be when they learned what DICE/EA were really going to do with the series.

Once again, the internet proves my predictions true. I'm on a hot streak.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Mutant1988 said:
endtherapture said:

That is a good question. It's not like this is a game with outdated design principles in need of updating either, like oh so many games from the 90s and before. And even those game people question why changes are necessary when the result is that end product, that is supposed to be a remake, ends up as something entirely different.

EA is great at screwing up "remakes" - Just look at "Syndicate" or "Dungeon Keeper".

Fact is that what Battlefront did is what Battlefield is still pretty much doing to this day.

Except with Star Wars and all the iconic imagery and scenes we are familiar with from that franchise.

Which we will get even less of with this "remake". What is the point of a remake if it's less and seemingly worse than the original? Are we supposed to just be awed by the amazing graphics? I can't say I've been impressed by graphics once in the last 5 or so years.

If they want to make not Battlefront, they shouldn't name it Battlefront or pretend that it's a "remake", rather than just a cynical attempt at rewriting history to establish a lower standard and make us forget what we used to have - Which is really what I think they are trying to do with these identical titles.

Bob_McMillan said:
Soviet Heavy said:
That was the point of the Hoth maps in Battlefront 1 and 2 as well (Because they were spawn points and your opponent moving their spawn points closer to yours is bad). The difference is that players were actually in control.
If you go back to the game now and play it, it holds up perfectly well, if not better than a lot of modern day shooters. All they really needed to add was a vaulting/cover system into the game perhaps and they'd have been good to go for the modern generation.

Battlefront is such a good game that it doesn't need a reinvention like DICE seem to be doing. The game stands on its own really well due to the strength of the lore, and the battles are balanced by level playing field of the game. There's no level up mechanics, just flat classes so you can chose who to play based on what the situation demands. The vehicles are also free and add a great extra dimension to the day.

If we're getting AT-ATs on rails and a level up system that locks the good weapons behind pay walls and grinding, as well as very few maps, I don't think it will be worth my £40 for the game, despite the fact it's Star Wars Battlefront.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
I absolutely love piloting the AT-ATs in Battlefront 2. The second I realised I could actually hop in them and pilot them, I knew I was playing something special. Much in the same way that as soon as I found out that they'd stripped away so much, I knew that Dice is nothing more than a cookie-cutter developer. They only know how to make one thing.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
BlackJesus said:
Funny, I thought a sequel had more content, not less.
See thats pre-microtransaction thinking. Why add content when you can sell it in small chunks. Guaranteed only humans will be playable in the vanilla game.
They'll have playable alien pack DLCs, weapon/armor DLCs, extra skin DLCs,map packs, mission packs, and God help us when they introduce Jedi and Sith.
You name it, they'll be happy to sell it to you in addition to full price for their game.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I can not state how disappointed I am right now, the Battlefront games are some of the first shooters I ever played and they played a large part of me even getting into Star Wars in the first place. I couldn't even begin to count all the times I spent playing split screen with friends on my old PS2, or how when I first played Battlefront 1 I had no idea what to do and would end up killing vehicle repair droids or shoot at the sun on Yavin IV with an AT-ST. I still play Battlefront 2 to this day (hell recently I just discovered the conversion mod which adds all the Battlefront 1 maps plus new fan made maps, classes, and vehicles). Now for all that care, passion, and creativity to get washed away in one statement after another makes me so angry. There are no games like the Battlefront games anymore, no shooter just allows you to enter into a multiplayer map with a ton of bots and just go at it.

Now it seems like Dice is going out of its way to remove all the things that made Battlefront unique for no other reason than to say fuck you to the fans. Four planets ruins one of the best parts of the Star Wars universe, each planet is extremely unique and offers a good variety to the maps. I don't like the prequels as much as the next guy but I will admit the battles and factions at play are interesting and where really fun to play in Battlefront. Space battles where a great part of BF2 even if they got a bit tedious, did not deserve to get axed especially when they could have added much more to them. It's a sad state of affairs in the modern AAA industry where a game from the PS2 era with a moderate budget could have more content and be more fun then a massively budgeted next-gen game.

EmperorZinyak

Aug 3, 2014

No space battles, no Clone Wars, no classes... what's new exactly besides the fancy graphics and iron sights? It seems like all they've done is gut features for no good reason. I haven't seen gameplay yet, but this is shaping up to be another EA travesty. Maybe all of this is part of a reverse psychology ploy to make us think it will be disappointing before dropping a huge new feature on us.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Dalek Caan said:
http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/04/...front-does-not-have-space-battles-prequel-era

So yeah, I can literally feel my excitement for this game leave my body. Finding out this news half an hour before the trailer is to be released make it even worse. Apprently the reason why they are not doing Space Battles is :

?Space is hard, right? Not from a [development] perspective, but from a logistical perspective. Is that fun? For us it doesn?t make sense to create a battle above you if you?re fighting other players who are not there to fight. Our focus is to do planetary battles.? Battlefront Producer Craig Mcleod added, ?No space battles. It?s all about the epic planetary battles and getting that right. Fighting with X-Wings and TIE Fighters, we have that. It?s taken in the atmosphere. This is something we discussed with Lucasfilm and they were happy to be on board with that.?

But I did see something about being able to call in X-Wing airstrikes so that's nice I guess.

Edit Question: If you where saddened by this news what did you to cheer yourself up? Or did you allow yourself to fester in a pool of your own hate and anguish?

After posting this I watched an episode from CSI season 15 and played some Borderlands 2. Feeling better now.

Remember when you played Battlefront 1 or 2 and you had to decide which class was best suited for the situation at the time? Like using Shock Troopers to take out enemy vechiles or a Rebel Marksman to snipe far away empire troopers. Well those days are gone cause classes have been removed from the game and instead have been replaced by this:

http://www.arabicgamers.com/news/3979/no-classes-in-star-wars-battlefront

While the RPG element sounds interesting it still feels like a piece of the old Battlefront has been taken away and replaced with something more generic.

There's also all gameplay info as well and the guy who wrote it doesn't make it come across as the next big thing.

http://www.arabicgamers.com/news/3979/no-classes-in-star-wars-battlefront

Is it odd that he was shown pre-alpha footage when we are only 6 months away from release of the game?

10 seconds later

Even more newier(?) news now. Lead Desinger at DICE Niklas Fegraeus has shared some more information over twitter.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/04...aps-frame-rate-heroes-customization-and-more/

What's really worrying is that he says the Missions, the feature meant to replace the campaign, can be played on or offline with bots but makes no mention if we would be able to do the same with the multiplayer maps. Which makes it sound like a large part of the game is taken away from you if you are not online.

So some maybe good/slightly worrying news concerning the lack of certain Battlefront 2 features in DICE's Battlefront game. Producer Jesper Nielsen has hinted that some missing features, though he doesn't actually name which ones, might make a return post game launch.

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2015/0...g-later-says-game-is-incredibly-fun-immersive

He never says whether or not we will need to pay extra for this stuff so to me it could be either payed DLC or freebie content that DICE will give out to please the Star Wars masses. I hope for the latter.

Also confirmed it that AT-ATs will be fully on the rails and he wants to remind you that full freedom of control doesn't always equal fun.

Bonus Drinking Game: Take a shot of whatever you have when you read the words "Space Battle"
Man, you really should have just made a new thread with the latest update :p

Oh well. Honestly, I can see where he was going with the on-rails ATATs. If a player could fully control them he could either completely dominate the other team, or troll his own team by pulling a u-turn and sitting back in their spawn, doing nothing.

On the other hand, fuck his excuse on why we should pay full price. The only way I would ever be fine with this is if the DLC is free. Maybe if we get pissed enough? In Battlefield 4 right now DICE is making a full fledged free DLC, sort of as an apology to the players.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
EmperorZinyak said:
No space battles, no Clone Wars, no classes... what's new exactly besides the fancy graphics and iron sights? It seems like all they've done is gut features for no good reason. I haven't seen gameplay yet, but this is shaping up to be another EA travesty. Maybe all of this is part of a reverse psychology ploy to make us think it will be disappointing before dropping a huge new feature on us.
That doesn't sound like EA. EA is more likely to pretend that all changes are for the better and pretend that the past doesn't exist at all.

That's why it's named the exact same as the first game after all.

They want nothing more than for us to accept what they give us as the only thing possible. Isn't that why they insist on running their own servers too? So that they can shut down their old games to make people move on to the sequel?

Can't you just feel my resentment oozing out through your monitors?

Darren716 said:
Now it seems like Dice is going out of its way to remove all the things that made Battlefront unique for no other reason than to say fuck you to the fans. Four planets ruins one of the best parts of the Star Wars universe, each planet is extremely unique and offers a good variety to the maps. I don't like the prequels as much as the next guy but I will admit the battles and factions at play are interesting and where really fun to play in Battlefront. Space battles where a great part of BF2 even if they got a bit tedious, did not deserve to get axed especially when they could have added much more to them. It's a sad state of affairs in the modern AAA industry where a game from the PS2 era with a moderate budget could have more content and be more fun then a massively budgeted next-gen game.
The movies sucked a whole lot, but the troops they introduced translated extremely well to a game and did add a lot of variety and cool features. I really liked the flying Clone troop transport in Battlefront 1 and I really liked playing as the Clone with the Minigun and cool trench coat like clothes in Battlefront 2.

I will say that I liked the in-atmosphere flight combat in BF1 more than the space combat in BF2 though, but honestly - It's the same core mechanic. It's depressing that a much hyped remake has LESS content than it's predecessors. I fail to see any adequate reason for why this is.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Mutant1988 said:
Yes, but they respawned. There was no real point in taking them out in offline mode, since it only gets dangerous when someone with brains pilots them. This mode is like a like weird dual attack/defend mode. The Rebels need to defend, and by doing that they need to destroy the AT-AT. The Empire needs to attack, and they do this by protecting their AT-AT. It sounds like a cool mode to me.

Mutant1988 said:
. It's depressing that a much hyped remake has LESS content than it's predecessors. I fail to see any adequate reason for why this is.
How do we really know that? We haven't seen gameplay, we barely know anything about the modes and equipment, we aren't even sure how many maps there will be. The only things we really know are what the game doesn't have. Naturally, it makes the game seem incredibly unappealing. For all we know, there is already so much content in the game that space battles would have been a cherry on top of cream on top of a three layered chocolate cake.

BTW, in the three or four times you quoted me, I only saw one in my feed. What's up with that?

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Bob_McMillan said:
BTW, in the three or four times you quoted me, I only saw one in my feed. What's up with that?
I don't think edited in quotes trigger a notification. I have a habit of making a post, then re-editing it to add quotes of more posts I want to reply to.

I don't have any higher hopes for this game though. In my experience, EA games that are good are so in spite of the restrictive, penny pinching, exploitive and stupid things EA does.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Mutant1988 said:
Bob_McMillan said:
I don't think edited in quotes trigger a notification. I have a habit of making a post, then re-editing it to add quotes of more posts I want to reply to.

I don't have any higher hopes for this game though. In my experience, EA games that are good are so in spite of the restrictive, penny pinching, exploitive and stupid things EA does.
True, I have already resigned myself in giving up buying several other games just because Battlefront will suck my wallet dry. Instead of hoping that there wont be a Premium version, I'm just hoping that the Premium version won't be so expensive, because I already know they will have one.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
All this talk made me go and give Battlefront 2 another spin. I had forgotten how fucking fun that game can be.