Star Wars Battlefront: UPDATE 2: The Missing Content Strikes Back.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/04/...front-does-not-have-space-battles-prequel-era

So yeah, I can literally feel my excitement for this game leave my body. Finding out this news half an hour before the trailer is to be released make it even worse. Apprently the reason why they are not doing Space Battles is :

?Space is hard, right? Not from a [development] perspective, but from a logistical perspective. Is that fun? For us it doesn?t make sense to create a battle above you if you?re fighting other players who are not there to fight. Our focus is to do planetary battles.? Battlefront Producer Craig Mcleod added, ?No space battles. It?s all about the epic planetary battles and getting that right. Fighting with X-Wings and TIE Fighters, we have that. It?s taken in the atmosphere. This is something we discussed with Lucasfilm and they were happy to be on board with that.?

But I did see something about being able to call in X-Wing airstrikes so that's nice I guess.

Edit Question: If you where saddened by this news what did you to cheer yourself up? Or did you allow yourself to fester in a pool of your own hate and anguish?

After posting this I watched an episode from CSI season 15 and played some Borderlands 2. Feeling better now.

Remember when you played Battlefront 1 or 2 and you had to decide which class was best suited for the situation at the time? Like using Shock Troopers to take out enemy vechiles or a Rebel Marksman to snipe far away empire troopers. Well those days are gone cause classes have been removed from the game and instead have been replaced by this:

http://www.arabicgamers.com/news/3979/no-classes-in-star-wars-battlefront

While the RPG element sounds interesting it still feels like a piece of the old Battlefront has been taken away and replaced with something more generic.

There's also all gameplay info as well and the guy who wrote it doesn't make it come across as the next big thing.

http://www.arabicgamers.com/news/3979/no-classes-in-star-wars-battlefront

Is it odd that he was shown pre-alpha footage when we are only 6 months away from release of the game?

10 seconds later

Even more newier(?) news now. Lead Desinger at DICE Niklas Fegraeus has shared some more information over twitter.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/04...aps-frame-rate-heroes-customization-and-more/

What's really worrying is that he says the Missions, the feature meant to replace the campaign, can be played on or offline with bots but makes no mention if we would be able to do the same with the multiplayer maps. Which makes it sound like a large part of the game is taken away from you if you are not online.

So some maybe good/slightly worrying news concerning the lack of certain Battlefront 2 features in DICE's Battlefront game. Producer Jesper Nielsen has hinted that some missing features, though he doesn't actually name which ones, might make a return post game launch.

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2015/0...g-later-says-game-is-incredibly-fun-immersive

He never says whether or not we will need to pay extra for this stuff so to me it could be either payed DLC or freebie content that DICE will give out to please the Star Wars masses. I hope for the latter.

Also confirmed it that AT-ATs will be fully on the rails and he wants to remind you that full freedom of control doesn't always equal fun.

Bonus Drinking Game: Take a shot of whatever you have when you read the words "Space Battle"

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Say what you want about the prequel films, but my favorite "race" from the previous BattleFront games was the Droids. If they're not going to be in it then...yeah...might be passing on this one after all...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Nope, that's it, I'm done, I'm done with new Star Wars products. Don't to see the movie, don't want to play the game. You killed it Disney, you did what neither Lucas nor EA could.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Cram that philosophical shit where it belongs, Dice. It's fucking Star Wars! We've got molecules that give people special powers, faster than light travel, and weapons that can destroy entire solar systems. It doesn't have to make sense! Grow a fucking pair and admit you're either too lazy or too incompetent to make space battles! This game sounds more like Battlefield: Star Wars Skin every time I hear about it! In summary, fuck you Dice, fuck you EA, and fuck everyone who is part of this game!

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Wow... I never thought I'd be saying these words again, but- thank you, EA. I was growing concerned that you'd forgotten how to count. While it makes no sense for you to try to impress me (I'm never touching anything you put out again; I still remember Spore), deliberately stupidifying the rest of the community was something to avoid. But your declaration of avoiding war in the stars makes it quite clear what you meant to say: this isn't Star Wars: Battlefront (a good thing, too; that game out a decade ago). This is Earth Wars: Battlefront. While I'd like it more if you were completely upfront about that, a step forward is a step forward.

So thanks, EA.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Wasn't this supposed to 'break the internet' with its amazingness? It broke the internet alright...

...with disappointment.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
No droids?

OK, my hype has died. They've lost a sale.

EDIT: "The core of Star Wars battles ? the Endors, the Hoths, et cetera ? you want to take that to perfection. You want to do it right."

Screw you developer. The Battle for Endor is easily the worst large scale battle in all six of the Star Wars films, and yes I'm including Gungans versus Battle Droids in that calculation. If there's one thing the Prequels got right it was large scale battles: Geonosis, Naboo and Utapau were all grand battles.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
To be very fair to EA, the first Battlefront game didn't have space battles either. The lack of prequel stuff is disappointing but I can live with that, and the original Battlefront games didn't have much of a single player campaign to begin with.

My biggest peeve is that I'm watching the panel right now, and it looks like they're just trying to fill time while showing utterly no gameplay whatsoever.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Ldude893 said:
To be very fair to EA, the first Battlefront game didn't have space battles either.
True, but when a new game in a franchise comes out you want to see the devolpers evolve and add on to it. Not strip away most of the game.

It would be like if when fish started to grow limbs and crawl to the surface some massive evil anomaly tore off their legs and threw them back into the water.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ldude893 said:
To be very fair to EA, the first Battlefront game didn't have space battles either.
It did have Droids and Clones, though.

As Elfgore said: this is likely just going to turn out to be Battlefield with a Star Wars re-skin.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
Evonisia said:
EDIT: "The core of Star Wars battles ? the Endors, the Hoths, et cetera ? you want to take that to perfection. You want to do it right."
The best part is, they just listed half of the maps in the game right there. No campaign, no space battles, no Clone Wars, and only four maps.

This isn't a game, this is a fucking Battlefield expansion pack.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
They realize that everyone was expecting space combat right? RIGHT?

Way to go guys... :/

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008

Modern triple-A gaming, ladies and gentlemen. Where less is...less.

To be fair, space battles in Battlefront II were lacking compared to the X-Wing and Rogue Squadron series. Having said that, their reasoning for axing them is a load of bullshit.

Space is hard, right? Not from a [development] perspective, but from a logistical perspective. Is that fun? For us it doesn't make sense to create a battle above you if you're fighting other players who are not there to fight.
Then make separate space maps like in Battlefront II. How hard can it be to whip up a starfield background and two capital ships with spawn points in their respective hangars? Hell, I can whip up a close approximation of a typical Battlefront II space map in five minutes in X-Wing Alliance, a game from 1998.

Fighting with X-Wings and TIE Fighters, we have that. It's taken in the atmosphere.
Yeah...except in the films they took place IN FUCKING SPACE. In a franchise called STAR WARS. You know, where there's WARS IN THE GODDAMN STARS.

Who wants to bet they're going to "cave" to consumer demand and add these features after launch as overpriced DLC? This is EA we're talking about, after all.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
All that just for the biggest FUCK YOU a company can give to its poor/overseas/sensible/employed fans by restricting gameplay, the only thing anyone cares about, to the convention floor. I don't think there's been a more dissapointing announcement for a game since Wii Music.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
While I think that the expectation of the whole "fight in space then fly down to the surface" was a little impractical, not even having separate space battles at all is just ridiculous. As much I enjoyed and generally preferred the first Battlefront, the lack of space combat is a big step back.

I'm not too broken up about the lack of prequel stuff even though that was fun as well. But if I understand correctly if they are going to have Co-op and single player options(even though they are not a proper campaign) it will be incredibly irritating not to have bots.

For me at least Battlefront was not a big online game, it was a couch co-op game for me so although I would be playing online regardless this time around a lack of online options is honestly a bigger loss than space battles to me.

After getting excited for something Star Wars related for the first time in forever with that latest teaser, most of the news about Battlefront has dropped my hype level again.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
TheSapphireKnight said:
While I think that the expectation of the whole "fight in space then fly down to the surface" was a little excessive
Not even. It was in one (some?) of the PSP games that came out after Battlefront 2. I don't think it's unreasonable for a 2015 PS4/Xbone game to at least match the quality of a 2006 PSP game.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Drago-Morph said:
TheSapphireKnight said:
While I think that the expectation of the whole "fight in space then fly down to the surface" was a little excessive
Not even. It was in one (some?) of the PSP games that came out after Battlefront 2. I don't think it's unreasonable for a 2015 PS4/Xbone game to at least match the quality of a 2006 PSP game.
Excessive was not the right word. Impractical perhaps. Not technically mind you, its not as if I think its impossible to do such a things. I just had my doubts even way back when the old BF3 rumors were being discussed. Making the reality of such a system live up to the fantasy people seemed to have about it just seemed unlikely.

Making sure both planet and space combat were both always fun and populated with players entering and leaving both spaces just seems like a logistical nightmare unless you have a ton of player to support it and even then it doesn't always work out. Looking at something like Planetside 2 where the reality of having a huge map to fight over can often devolve into zerg fest where large portions of the map may go unused.

I guess I had doubts that mechanic that sounded great on paper would have worked out as everyone had hoped in practice. Then again I had my doubts about the Shadow of Mordor nemsis system and apparently that turned out great *Shrugs*

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Damn, the space battles and "Droid vs. Clone" battles are pretty much what kept Battlefront II from being just Battlefield with a Star Wars skin.

Hopefully they keep the "Galactic Conquest" thing in some form...

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
TheSapphireKnight said:
Drago-Morph said:
TheSapphireKnight said:
Excessive was not the right word. Impractical perhaps. Not technically mind you, its not as if I think its impossible to do such a things. I just had my doubts even way back when the old BF3 rumors were being discussed. Making the reality of such a system live up to the fantasy people seemed to have about it just seemed unlikely.

Making sure both planet and space combat were both always fun and populated with players entering and leaving both spaces just seems like a logistical nightmare unless you have a ton of player to support it and even then it doesn't always work out. Looking at something like Planetside 2 where the reality of having a huge map to fight over can often devolve into zerg fest where large portions of the map may go unused.

I guess I had doubts that mechanic that sounded great on paper would have worked out as everyone had hoped in practice. Then again I had my doubts about the Shadow of Mordor nemsis system and apparently that turned out great *Shrugs*
Fair enough, but they could have exclusively ground or space based maps, with a few maps that allow space-to-ground combat. There are ways to make such things work, but adding those ideas may not have been practical. There's no excuse for gutting so many things from the old games, though.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
I had only a few requirements:

Splitscreen and LAN. Because EA servers are literally the devil.

But they're not even going to have singleplayer?

Okay, never mind then - I'm never buying this game.