Star Wars Characters Rumored to Appear in The LEGO Movie

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Star Wars Characters Rumored to Appear in The LEGO Movie

A source close to The LEGO Movie claims that Star Wars hasn't been forgotten, and that an unveiling of specific characters is coming soon.

In many ways, The LEGO Movie is a theatrical culmination of everything LEGO has achieved in its videogames thus far, assembling a team of fictional characters in block form <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125172-The-LEGO-Movie-Assembles-in-2014>and just pitting them against each other. The trailer alone introduces an impressive number of personalities from various LEGO-licensed franchises, including Batman and Superman, but so far no characters from the formative LEGO Star Wars games have made an appearance.

Although that might disappoint your twelve-year old self, the logic behind the decision is easy to understand. The LEGO Movie is being produced by Warner Bros, while Star Wars is owned by its competitors at Disney. Merging the two franchises on film would be a legal nightmare that simply can't be justified by how mind-bendingly awesome it is, right? Actually, your twelve-year old self can start getting a little more excited: A source close to production is claiming that LEGO Star Wars characters will be a part of The LEGO Movie, and that an official unveiling announcement is on the way.

This information is still very much in the rumor stage, and if true, we can't be certain how big of a role the undisclosed Star Wars characters would play. That being said, let me call it right here: the climatic fight scene of The LEGO Movie will be between Superman and Darth Vader. Heat Vision vs. Lightsaber, Super-strength vs. The Force. This must happen.

Source: Bleeding Cool

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Seeing the new trailer for the movie, I was surprised by the huge emphasis on the Lego Superhero series as well as how often Batman was in the spotlight. It's obvious they were focusing on the more current series because feature-length-commercial, but the Star Wars sets are still a major part of the toy-line. Lego Star Wars has without-a-doubt the largest line of sets in the company. The shear amount of times they've recreated and resold the same ships, scenes, and minifigures should pretty much incorporate a good third of Lego's earnings at this point.

So the question stuck out in my mind: why no Lego Vader? The only thing I could think of was a licensing issue, which still made little sense in the grand scheme of all things Lego. Like, what? No matter what the form, Star Wars must be independent and isn't ever allowed to do crossovers at any juncture?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Actually IMDB kinda already spoiled this one

The above picture is correct. Han Solo appears. Michael Dangerfiled will be doing his voice.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
TheDrunkNinja said:
Seeing the new trailer for the movie, I was surprised by the huge emphasis on the Lego Superhero series as well as how often Batman was in the spotlight. It's obvious they were focusing on the more current series because feature-length-commercial, but the Star Wars sets are still a major part of the toy-line. Lego Star Wars has without-a-doubt the largest line of sets in the company. The shear amount of times they've recreated and resold the same ships, scenes, and minifigures should pretty much incorporate a good third of Lego's earnings at this point.

So the question stuck out in my mind: why no Lego Vader? The only thing I could think of was a licensing issue, which still made little sense in the grand scheme of all things Lego. Like, what? No matter what the form, Star Wars must be independent and isn't ever allowed to do crossovers at any juncture?
The Superhero series, particularly Batman is spotlighted because the movie is being made in partnership with Warner Brothers, which owns Batman and DC Comics. So the DC characters get a bit more spotlight. (although there are some Marvel / Disney characters and some Nikolodeon ones in the movie. I think Spiderman and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles appear.)

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
But are Star Wars characters going to appear in a new Marvel movie?

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Why are you saying it is a culmination of the Lego videogames? You know every Lego videogame is based on an actual real-life Lego theme, right...? Even Lego City, which I did find out after playing it, but Chase McCain himself is an actual character in an actual Lego theme, not an original protagonist. It's a bit disappointing, even.

But yeah. Bizarre that you'd tie it into the videogames first when Lego started doing licensed themes as early as 1999.