Star Wars Eh?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
WolfEdge said:
and they don't sell any kind of LotR weapons.
I beg to differ, sir. I happen to have Sting mounted to my wall.
As do I, since I own a (probably cheap imitation) of Glamdring. (That's Gandalf's sword, for those not big on details)

And the shop I got it from had a lot more than that.

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
nin_ninja said:
Well I AM Canadian, but I just needed something to put on the end of the title to draw attention. I could complain about how none of the characters have MAPLE LEAF POWAS but that would be boring.
See, now the lack of Maple Leaf Powas is an topic I can get behind!

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
Define 'compete'. For popularity, there's studies for that kind of stuff. For sheer epicness, LOTR beats it by a long shot. But that's a matter that's based on subjective viewpoints only.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
PoisonUnagi said:
Harry Potter competes, but I have no idea why. Harry Potter is a terrible setting with terrible dialogue coming from terribly acted terrible characters in a terribly written terrible plotline... actually, just replace 'terrible' with an expletive of your choice.
really? these are books that are written for kids that introduce them to complicated topics like friendship, loyalty, compassion, revenge, honor, integrity ... these are topics some adults struggle with.

i give JK Rowling all the credit in the world. her books may be predictable and formulaic, but those books offer a rich world that has captured the minds of millions.

OT: i am a SW junkie and have been ever since i saw Ep4 in the theater as a kid. And although, I like to say that no one hates their fans quite as much as lucas does, the universe he created is one of those rare gems that almost anyone can find something to fascinate them about it.

Captain Epic

Jul 8, 2010
Oh that's tough.....pokemon? Not that I'm a fan, they've just pumped out so many damn video games, trading cards, cartoons, movies, and books that it at leat deserves an honerable mention.

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
nin_ninja said:
What are your guys thoughts on this. Am I full of bull, and if so what are some other series that could compete with Star Wars?
Warcraft (including books, comic books, all the games/expansions, upcoming moving, etc.), if you judge by the number of players on Warcraft III and World of Warcraft.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
There's very little that can compete with Star Wars because Star Wars is no longer a singular enterprise. George Lucas still has the final say over everything that bears the Star Wars name, but we've got books, games, TV shows and comics, all going off in different directions under different creative teams. Even if George Lucas decided he wanted to retire from active production, the floodgates are already open. As long as there are people interested in the Star Wars universe, it's going to keep expanding.

I guess the closest comparison would be Marvel or DC, as they're both multi-part enterprises. Editors and Presidents come and go, but the characters are more or less eternal, and will likely continue on as long as someone cares enough to write about them. Still, as big as they're getting, I don't think they can even get close to being as huge as Star Wars.

IkeGreil29

Jul 25, 2010
No, you have a point. Maybe WoW in some ways, but even then, what you're asking for is a new Mythopoeia. Literally create a world from scratch. The only ones that do are LOTR and Star Wars, while Star Trek does include Earth and is just another view of the future, so it isn't quite what we're looking for.

Even games like Dragon Age, where there's so much backstory and content to the world, they fail at completely making a world from scratch, because they draw so heavily upon the already established counter parts.

Until we can come up with something entirely new, neither medieval, nor futuristic and that has no connection to the Earth as we know it, it's hard to defend a new world as the next LOTR or SW.

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
Make Battlefront 3, god damn it. 2 was the second highest selling Star Wars game of all time. It is getting ridiculous.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
In popularity? Yeah maybe Star Trek and LOTR, but I also think a recent one would have to be Harry Potter. The series is immensely popular and although soon the books and movies will be all done I still think it will remain pretty popular as new people get into it (at least the books, not so sure about the movies). Although the HP series may become even more like Star Wars if Rowling decides not to let the goose that lays the golden egg die.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
in popularity? inheritance cycle might be getting close. Artimis fowl? Wheel of time? I'd say they might be almost as popular, if not quite as well known. unfortunately twilight is as well known and as popular.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Let's be completely honest with ourselves, as much as we hate to admit it...

Twilight.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I'm so over Star Wars. Yeah it's good but clearly overrated. The games are nice I look forward for TOR but I wouldn't really care if they never made any more Star Wars anything.

Fridge

Jun 25, 2009
nin_ninja said:
No matter how you feel about George Lucas, the expanded universe, or midichlorians, you have to admit that not only is Star Wars a license to print money but it is also one of the biggest and most influential franchises of all time.

From the movies that defined a generation to video games that are considered classics of their time, everywhere that Star Wars has stuck its lightsabers it has made money. Not everything they have done has been successful obviously, but on the whole they have sold tons of novels, comics, games, DVDs, tv shows and toys.

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan (I know Revan's a bad ass) but to me the only other series that seems like it could compete with Star Wars in terms of content is Star Trek or LOTR (neither of which I'm a huge fan of either).

What are your guys thoughts on this. Am I full of bull, and if so what are some other series that could compete with Star Wars?

EDIT: Someone mentioned Harry Potter, and that is one series that could compete. Just didn't think of it.
Also it doesn't have to be a movie series, it just has to be very popular.
Well depending on how well the movie goes Issac Asimov's Foundation series could rival it. The books have a daft amount of detail and there are many other series of his that link into it nicely, and theres plenty of room for expansion in the series.
Sadly I suspect the movie will turn out a huge bag of toss.