Star Wars Episode VII Leaked Set Pictures Show New Creature, Tatooine?

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Akisa said:
Why are we going back to Tatoonie? Why can't we explore different planets why is it always the same planets.
Because that'd be too creative for J.J Abrams. There is a chance the whole movie will probably be filled with nothing but references to the original trilogy and nothing really new.

I'm kind of miffed that I see a lack of Bantha's though. Why is there a giant, pig fetus?

Otherwise, this adds strength to the idea/rumor that Lupita Nyong'o is playing Obi Wan's grand daughter. It's most likely if Obi Wan banged someone, it was while he was bored and hiding on Tatoonie. Either it was a one night stand and the lady disappeared or he simply kept the knowledge of the kid quiet, and told his girlfriend to go hide once the kid was discovered to be force sensitive.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Two things before I go into my comments about the photos. One, this might the first and ONLY time I ever visit TMZ's website. Two, while I will slightly respect Abrams plan to keep this movie a secret, its a plan that is going to fail. These leaked photos are living proof that if one tries to deny the people, the Internet will always provide for us.

While other comments may whine about going back to Tatooine, I like what I see so far. It's great to see them using more practical effects rather then the CGI wank-fest that was the prequels. I'm just hoping that they will explore new worlds in Episode VII and not just make this a nostalgia trip. Let's wait and see, people.

BTW, TMZ posted set construction photos of the (possibly) returning Millennium Falcon and a slightly modded X-Wing fighter. Link is posted below.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/06/03/star-wars-episode-7-millennium-falcon-set-photos/

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Christ, people here really hate Tatooine...

I don't mind it, out of the 6 films it's been shown 5 times, one was mainly in a Palace, and another it was a quick moment handing over luke as a baby, so technically, only 3 times has it played a bigger part in the story, where it's mainly been Mos Eisley, how about if this is Anchorhead or Mos Espa? there is plenty more to see on Tatooine.

Anyway, aside from it being on Tatooine (Which doesn't bother me all that much as i actually like the planet (Mos Eisley is over used though i admit), i'm really excited. I would hope new planets are shown though, like Dantooine or Mon Calamari. Also, less CGI? Colour me intrigued. I would hope however, that a little CGI is used to make the prop look a little....better. I mean it's glaringly obvious that it's just an oversized pig suit xD

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
all i can say is thank god they are using less CGI! If they really do keep it down it will make the movies feel a lot closer to the source material.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
crepesack said:
But it also doesn't make sense to have 2 desert planets.
You'd be surprised [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Desert_planets]

That said, I reckon it's Tatooine.
There's a moisture Vaporator in pic #28 - one of those things Luke is bitching about fixing in ANH, and that type of design was always pretty indigenous to Tatooine in the EU.
Plus the cylindrical oblong in a few pics (#8) looks suspiciously like a Podracer engine.
And that monster looks like a type of pig/boar/thing native to Tatooine that I remember from Star Wars Galaxies. Size seems about right too.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
arc1991 said:
Christ, people here really hate Tatooine...

I don't mind it, out of the 6 films it's been shown 5 times, one was mainly in a Palace, and another it was a quick moment handing over luke as a baby, so technically, only 3 times has it played a bigger part in the story, where it's mainly been Mos Eisley, how about if this is Anchorhead or Mos Espa? there is plenty more to see on Tatooine.

Anyway, aside from it being on Tatooine (Which doesn't bother me all that much as i actually like the planet (Mos Eisley is over used though i admit), i'm really excited. I would hope new planets are shown though, like Dantooine or Mon Calamari. Also, less CGI? Colour me intrigued. I would hope however, that a little CGI is used to make the prop look a little....better. I mean it's glaringly obvious that it's just an oversized pig suit xD
It's a fucking desert. There's nothing wrong with Tatooine, but there really isn't a whole lot going on there. There are rocks, a handful of Spaceports, and the Dune Sea.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I guess they want to channel the original movie as much as possible? Why is everyone surprised we're getting more Tatooine?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
I guess they want to channel the original movie as much as possible? Why is everyone surprised we're getting more Tatooine?
I can't figure that out, either. Yeah it's not someplace new, but I have no major objections to revisiting old places as long as the reasons aren't too contrived. Yeah there's going to be a nostalgia element to it, especially since they seem to making a great effort to back off from the CGI and move back to the "dirty future" aesthetic (two things which are fine by me, regardless of what they're doing with the story), but it's still a place that exists to the universe, and is a pretty important one at that. I don't see it as anything inherently limiting, though. Just because they have the ability to travel to any planet in the galaxy doesn't mean they'll never have a reason to revisit a planet, just as we revisit cities and countries we've been to.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
Motherfucking Tatooine. I hope to god this is only the opening scene or something, because there is a lot to explore in the Star Wars Universe, not even including the EU.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Considering how safe they want to play this film, Tatooine really isn't surprising to see.

Can I just say that of the few extra planets we saw in the Prequels, they had made more interesting settings? I'm going to spell all of these wrong, but y'know the likes of Coruscant, Naboo, Utupao, Mustafar, Geonosis. All interesting places which looked gorgeous in those films.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I know there was an extensive book series, and the two KotOR's made the universe seem huge.. I take it Disney opted to write their own highly marketable story though. T_T

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Y'know what I love about Star Wars?

The interesting phenomenon where no matter what anybody does with it, 75% of Star Wars fans will ***** and moan about it. That means that if there was no Tattooine in the new films, 75% of people would still be bitching and moaning about it, whilst these photos showing Tattooine have 75% of people bitching and moaning about it.*

It should be mathematically impossible, and yet there it is...

I love it.

*No actual calculations have taken place, these numbers are entirely pulled out of my arse, taking this post seriously and responding as such will just lead to me mocking you further, in ever more sarcastic tones.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
"Why Tatooine?"

Believe it or not I think Lucas himself answered this one back in the 90s. Specifically he did so in a self-important interview with Leonard Maltin that was put before the movies on the last VHS release of the original editions.

The explanation was simply "You have to shoot somewhere on earth." words he obviously forgot by the time he made Episode 2 and 3. But the point is either you shoot on a location that we have on earth or you use a greenscreen, and we've seen how well abuse of the latter works out. If they had a desert planet and it wasn't Tatoonie people would ask why they didn't just make it Tatooine. It's banking on nostalgia yeah but there are also practical reasons for it. About the only basic type of terrain we haven't seen filmed on location in a Star Wars movie yet is a tropical jungle. (Like Dagobah.) And good luck keeping everyone in the cast and crew from getting malaria on that one.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Akisa said:
Why are we going back to Tatoonie? Why can't we explore different planets why is it always the same planets.
It's not always the same planets, every single star wars film has introduced new planets, Tatooine is just a well known planet that happens to have been the home for 3 generations of Skywalkers. If you have a problem with that, thank Goerge Lucas. I'm fine with seeing more of it as long as the film doesn't meander about there for the sake of reminiscing.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Not suggesting that it is not Tatooine, but I find it a tad surprising that the possibility it could be Korriban isnt being considered. Knowing übel Haüs der Maüs it almost certainly IS tat, but Korriban should not seem completely outside of the realm of consideration as a foregone conclusion.