Star Wars First Assault Paves the Way for Battlefront III

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
"Many bothan spies died to bring us this information......"

And many more will continue to die, we need to know what Disney is doing. Can't let the dark side win again.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Kotaku's got the footage up on their site. Doesn't look all that different from Call Of Duty, but with a Star Wars skin.

For me, that's a long way away from Battlefront. I loved Battlefront a) for the huge battles with dozens upon dozens of enemies fighting each other, b) the huge, sprawling maps, c) the vehicles, and d) the space battles, dear god the space battles.

Taking a shooter and sticking Star Wars on it is a long way from making a proper Battlefront game. There's some interesting looking stuff in First Assault, but the majority of it looks like things Halo and COD have already done.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
In the articale isn't it stated that first assult is to test out the engine first, then battlefront 3 will be made with said engine as first assult tests it?

On other matters battlefront 2 is a childhood game for me and mmy sister. we played it many hours when we were younger, So this is good news.

Also anyone who says its a battlefield clone, just stop, most shooters can only vary so much between themsevlves, and visuals is the biggest difference that can be done really.

Disney, if your smart, make this happen, you will make a tidy profit and earn goodwill from the star wars fandom (its that even possible at this point.)

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Well now let's not get too exited everyone. I will remain skeptical right till i see box art of Battlefront III. I would guess that it will be all dependent on this First-Assault to get good numbers, it will not get good numbers. If Disney counting on it be a rival to MP-shooters out there they, i'm afraid they will get very small cut of that pie. Disney needs something different.....well something like Battlefront III actually.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Kinda glad they removed the Vehicles and Jedi, sure add it in to Battlefront games, Battlefront was pretty well balanced in that department and if they keep the formula, Battlefront 3 could be very well balanced. But having it in a new IP? Neh.

Least we will get a good indication as to what the new Battlefront game could be like, and as long thye make it different from COD and Battlefield, this should hopefully be a good FPS!

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Cognimancer said:
The game was to be LucasArt's answer to the success of Call of Duty and Battlefield
Ehhhhhhhhhhhh.
Not sure if want.

I don't really feel that Battlefront ever needed any kind of progression to be fun. In fact, that was why I kind of liked it. Really crazy simple fun arcade-y run and gun fun. And player skill aside, everyone was on equal footing.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Disney, if you're reading this thread for some improbable, conjured reason, GET THIS GAME BACK IN PRODUCTION. In case you hadn't forgotten, you've also acquired a formerly legendary game developer, so do freaking SOMETHING about it rather than let it rot in the basement with Walt Disney's cryogenically frozen head.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
No, you're right. To clarify, what I meant was that, just because Battlefield made improvements in it's own series from Battlefield 2 to 3, doesn't necessarily mean that Battlefront has to make the same iterations on it's own gameplay.

In layman's terms, a Battlefront game with wide open maps, destructible environments, a leveling system, and customizable weapons would be the absolute shit, however, just because Battlefield 3 has done it doesn't mean Battlefront 3 has to copy it. It could offer those modern features with some throwbacks from BF1 and 2. Or steal Renegade/Elite Squadron's customization layout and put it on consoles with some improvements.

TL;DR Yes, you're right, but Battlefront 3 has the opportunity to knock the other modern shooters on the market today down if the devs come up with something different yet awesome.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I like how there is an entire universe of possibilities for map locations and amazing landscapes, the only limit is the developers imagination, and the publicity screenshot is of... Tatooine. A planet that is basically the Middle East. Because if there is one thing First Person Shooters need it's more Middle Eastern locations.

This is the problem I have with Star Wars at the moment and why I'm quietly dreading the new films. THEY NEVER GO ANYWHERE NEW, OR DO ANYTHING NEW! It's the same people in the same place, with the same gadgets and somehow with less convincing special effects as the years pass.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Sooo... let me get this straight: If we all buy into this game, we'll get the Battlefront III we all have been waiting years for?

Definitely some form of coercion, but I might just be willing to play along...

Neeckin

Feb 5, 2013
So if we all buy this game we get Battlefront 3? Fine, I'll play your game Disney.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Wait, so let me get this straight.... Disney is holding Battlefront III, a game we all want hostage based on the success of a Star Wars themed CoD clone?

Did I read that correctly?

If so WTF?

JaceArveduin said:
Sooo... let me get this straight: If we all buy into this game, we'll get the Battlefront III we all have been waiting years for?

Definitely some form of coercion, but I might just be willing to play along...
Wow Ninja'd ALMOST word for word.......

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
GaltarDude1138 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
No, you're right. To clarify, what I meant was that, just because Battlefield made improvements in it's own series from Battlefield 2 to 3, doesn't necessarily mean that Battlefront has to make the same iterations on it's own gameplay.

In layman's terms, a Battlefront game with wide open maps, destructible environments, a leveling system, and customizable weapons would be the absolute shit, however, just because Battlefield 3 has done it doesn't mean Battlefront 3 has to copy it. It could offer those modern features with some throwbacks from BF1 and 2. Or steal Renegade/Elite Squadron's customization layout and put it on consoles with some improvements.

TL;DR Yes, you're right, but Battlefront 3 has the opportunity to knock the other modern shooters on the market today down if the devs come up with something different yet awesome.
You know, I totally forgot about the destructible environment thing. It was disabled in the Beta, and I didn't buy the full version, partly because EA, but mostly because my laptop couldn't handle it properly. I guess that /does/ count as a step up from BF2 -- all I really noticed about it were the simplified class and squad systems, and the completely missing commander system.

And yeah, I see what you're saying about Battlefront 3 -- it could be something really special, if done right.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
The clip of the stormtroopers putting on his helmet was almost exactly like the scene in star wars republic commando when boss puts his helmat on. hhhmmmm i wonder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFV0IUZ1NSk
1:16 into the video

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
OHGODDISNEYPLEASEYESPLEASE

Just no fucking killstreaks thanks.
Jesus, with this and Timesplitters both possibly being actualy things... feelin' good, man.

Jan 12, 2012
I've got no problem with First Assault, and might even give it a try.

But here's hoping they keep Battlefront 3rd-person; there are enough FPS games on the market, including this one!

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I will throw all of my money at Disney for BF3 to happen.

If I get a fun standard FPS shooter in the process, that's fine by me. It's no BF3, but it's a start.

I'm just hoping that space battles and vehicles are a key feature of BF3, and maybe even a server-specific constant galactic conquest, akin to what Chromehounds had. Galactic conquest was one of my favorite parts of BF2, and I can only imagine what an enhanced multiplayer version would be like.

Space battles, especially, have such an incredible amount of potential. Imagine true, full battles involving frigates, with air lock leaks and blowing up individual parts and all sorts of stuff. My mind is melting from the anticipation.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Come on Disney don't let us down now! Both of these games could be awesome if done right

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES PLEASE DISNEY PLEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!! Come on; you gave us the Avengers, surely you can give us more Battlefield!?
I really need to calm down but goddamnit the sheer prospect excites me.