Star Wars Galaxies Players Start Petition to Stop Closure

Sicram

Mar 17, 2010
I was interested first and very psyched but then I found out about monthly fees. After the whole NGE and CU thing (Why go for something unique when you can just do whatever everyone else does, right?) I completely lost interest and it fell off my radar.

If they'd revert to the old class system (but took away the whole "jedi only have 3 lives") and went F2P I'd be very interested... but it's SOE, so it won't happen... ever. Unless they sell it and let someone else run it but I guess SWTOR is being quite a brake here.

Also, outdates graphics... but for some reason I like the style more than SWTOR, why they went for cellshade and more cartoony is beyond me, more so when looking at the visually awesome cinematics.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
PrinceofPersia said:
Woodsey said:
PrinceofPersia said:
Woodsey said:
On a side-note: if TOR is F2P I will be fucking pissed.
Why? That is one of the payment models, besides P2P or microtransactions, that is available to Bioware. Let them decide what they want to do.
I... what? I know its one of the payment options available to them, and I will be pissed if they use it. Its a pain in the arse that usually results in you spending more than you would on a normal sub.
Oh your referring to F2P base game with micro-transactions for added features like DDO. Understandable but you gotta remember that someones got to pay for server maintenance and upgrading which is not cheap.
I know, so make me sub for it. I don't want to have to count up I've spent on in-game trinkets each month (or much worse, in-game necessities).

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Let SWG DIIIIEEEE!!!!! It started out awesome and then got morphed into "Retards in Space : World of Warcraft Smedley Edition."

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
This is completely unrealistic - free to play is not free of cost to the provider (servers, support staff, and licenses all cost real money). I'm sure SOE did their homework and realized that free-to-play (with micro-transactions, of course) couldn't cover those costs.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
uppitycracker said:
Arachon said:
Players petitioned SOE to cancel the NGE as well... Look how well that went...
I was gonna say.... I remember the petition to reverse the combat upgrade..... then I remember actually signing the petition for the NGE, which got signatures from practically every player of the game.

And did it change a thing? Not at all.

All in all, this game has been dead for a VERY LONG TIME. Let it rest in peace, before it mutates any more than it already has.
Agreed. This is the proverbial dead horse, with which Sony has been engaged in the act of necrosadobestiality for quite some years now.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
craddoke said:
This is completely unrealistic - free to play is not free of cost to the provider (servers, support staff, and licenses all cost real money). I'm sure SOE did their homework and realized that free-to-play (with micro-transactions, of course) couldn't cover those costs.
This is really the biggest thing that seems to be getting overlooked at this point. Honestly, I think it would be great for the SWG faithful if the game could continue it's life as a F2P title (or as am officially sanctioned private game, but that will NEVER happen due mainly to the licenses involved). The process of making and running a F2P game, however, isn't as simple as flipping a switch. Any running online game is still a money pit for the company running it and they need to cover those costs somehow. Also, making a micro transaction system that integrates into the existing game would take far more time and work than SOE is willing (or able, once again due to licensing issues) to put into what they see as a failing property.

For an example, LOTRO's move to F2P has been, by most accounts, extremely successful. It took Turbine, if I recall correctly, something like 9 months of development time to conceptualize and implement the F2P system they use.. and that's after they had already implemented a very similar system in DDO.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
If I'm EA and I've just spent tens of millions of dollars worth of resources on a Star Wars MMO, I'm not too happy about having another Star Wars MMO on the market. So the deal I'd make with Lucasarts would be a license agreement for the exclusive use of the Star Wars brand with regards to MMORPGS. I'd be willing to bet that Lucasarts stands to make a lot more from this deal than they currently make from Galaxies. As such, once the license expires, they simply won't grant a new one. Writing's on the walls so the developer cuts their losses.

That's the way I see it anyway. Still a shame that a quite solid game will just disappear. I guess that's just the way it goes.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
Here's what SOE should do:

Strip out the Star Wars out of their MMO and Open License the pre-NGE MMO engine. Just give people their sandbox without the IP.

Redoing the art assets would be a pain-in-the-ass, but I could see it working as a generic Sci-fi sandbox MMO.

cokeordie

May 20, 2009
TheDarkEricDraven said:
cokeordie said:
TheDarkEricDraven said:
Because Old Republic is blasphamy to the KoTOR series? Thats why I'm not playing it, anyway.
What the heck are you talking about man? I honestly want to know.
Let me sum it up: "Knights of the Old Republic and The Sith Lords where awesome! And that cliffhanger! Ohh, a new game in the series!? Awesome! Its-! Its-!...Its...a pay to play MMO...set hundreds of years after the last two games. Hm."
Didn't they make a book finishing Revan's stuff already?