Star Wars Galaxies Shutting Down 12 Servers

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Hmmm.. I'm glad that piece of shit is flickering out like a dying star...

Apparently, it was better before some patch or something, but from the trial that I played, the game was absolute ass.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
ZeroMachine said:
I'd suggest you withold judgement until the game comes out and, worst case scenario, if the PvP does suck massive Darth Testicles, enjoy the semi-singleplayer experience that will be like KOTOR. That's number of classes=number of KOTOR length games, there, man. I think that'll make up for any 1337 morons on the servers.
I still remember skimming over the ghost-towns of Tattooine. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Tie Fighters on fire off the shoulder of Alderaan. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Dantoonie gate. All those moments will be lost in the transfers... like tears in rain... Time to delete.
*sheds a manly tear of manlyness for what never was* I always wanted to be a stormtrooper..

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
I was in the beta for SWG, and knew that it was too early for them to launch when it was announced.

It wasn't a "grind to the next level" game - strictly speaking - but it did have it's grinds. And imbalances. Creature handlers were soon wandering about with 3 adult bull rancors - able to take on anything the game could throw at them - and not break a sweat. Other 'classes' were pretty much useless for combat - but buffs and other benefits provided made them worthwhile. You could even dabble amongst a variety of skill trees - a little bit of a rifleman, a bit of polearm skill and some martial arts for kicks.

Then NGE came along... and skill trees / career paths were gone. Classes were in.

Honestly, I'm surprised they still had 12 servers operational, let alone 12 that could be closed. The game has been mishandled since day -1.

Anyone heard any news of a new expansion for this, though? Just wondering how much support SOE is *really* giving the game.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Mrsnugglesworth said:
I played the trial. I was a Bounty Hunter.

Was fun til I saw a Jedi.

I died.

ALOT.
Poor muffin *pets* I played the trial for like 10 minutes and got bored.

On-Topic: But, were the servers old? Hard to maintain? Because shutting down twelve servers is a huge thing to do. Especially since I would assume a lot of people would play on those servers.

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
"We have lots of new content and updates planned for Galaxies and remain committed to making the game an enjoyable and engrossing experience," they say. Seriously? I'm calling bullsh*t on this one. Then again, SOE has never been known for playing it straight with, well...anyone. Certainly not their players. (Disclaimer: Yes, I'm one of those "pre-CU" types. Disregard this post at will.) I fully expect Smedley believes, in his eternal doesn't-know-what-the-f*ck-is-going-on-ism, that SWG will compete quite well with SW:TOR. I, of course, think he's out of his f*cking mind. I, for one, will happily dance skyclad when they finally pull the plug on this rancid excuse for a Star Wars game. Can't happen soon enough.

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
I'd suggest you withold judgement until the game comes out and, worst case scenario, if the PvP does suck massive Darth Testicles, enjoy the semi-singleplayer experience that will be like KOTOR. That's number of classes=number of KOTOR length games, there, man. I think that'll make up for any 1337 morons on the servers.
I still remember skimming over the ghost-towns of Tattooine. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Tie Fighters on fire off the shoulder of Alderaan. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Dantoonie gate. All those moments will be lost in the transfers... like tears in rain... Time to delete.
God I need to watch Blade Runner again, it's been a long time.

OT: Another MMO down, anyone care to make bets on which will die next?

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Liverandbacon said:
ZeroMachine said:
God I need to watch Blade Runner again, it's been a long time.

OT: Another MMO down, anyone care to make bets on which will die next?
My money's on City of Heroes/Villains. It's probably going to be completely overshadowed by Champions Online in the upcoming weeks and months.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
It never made sense to me why you would EVER include lasers in an "auto-attack" style RPG game. However, that being said, SWG and Anarchy Online were amazingly popular, at least with a core group of fans.

*boggle*

PPB

May 25, 2009
Would be kind of nice if they went F2P like DDO, though the chances are nil considering what happened to Matrix.

I only ever played the post-NGE trial of Galaxies and thought it was quite mediocre so I didn't even bother with it, but I guess it's the kind of game that I wouldn't mind keeping on my hard drive and firing up once in a while for a Star Wars fit. At least until SWTOR comes out.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Hey guys, remember when SWG was fucking awesome when it was first released?

I do. So many glorious days wasted playing that game.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
..This is so much like the end of Old Yeller for me. SOE, please, exterminate all of the servers. Do not make that game suffer any more than it has to.

PULL THE TRIGGER, DAMMIT!

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Until I saw video of the new BioWare Star Wars MMO at PAX I'd thought that the SW MMO was already dead. I don't know anyone who plays it, I've only met one person who played it (past tense), and I haven't heard/seen any hype/buzz over it practically since its release.

Now, I will say I like[/i] the idea of server-consolidation. I'd long-wished that City of Heroes/Villains would do that, just combine all the players into one huge server so the "cities" would truly feel populated and you could always find somebody to team up with. Alas, that's never happened (and I've since quit playing the game...not because of that, mind you, just because I was bored with character-grind games.)

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Dark marauder said:
2) It's BioWare. I trust them to make a good game.
Sonic_Chronicles:_The_Dark_Brotherhood

one game and you dont think they are good they made kotor and mass effect for christ sake

He never said they weren't good. He said that he no longer had the same amount of trust in the company to create a decent game. And everybody knows they made Mass Effect and KOTOR.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Galaxies is still up at all? Oh well, I used to play on Naritus but it's been dead to me for a long time.

vincent-

Mar 21, 2009
It's fun watching all the hate go out on the forums here.

They're closing those severs down because the community on the swg forums wanted them to stop putting resources on servers that moved off from. Most of the players that were on those servers went to more active ones. Pretty much starsider has a butt load and it laggs bad for them. So with the closer of these we can now get the ones active to run smoother and cut off a dead part which doesn't need care.

timax

Oct 1, 2009
I, like most everyone, thought this was one of the most enjoyable MMO's I had ever played, loved the Pvp, the PvE, loved the server wanderhome! It's going now :/ And I was one one class mastery away from gaining jedi, bioengineering :/

However, sony flushed all of that down the toilet in one patch. It was one of the most amazing gaming massacres I have ever seen.

Being an Imp was so much fun, killing all the overpopulated rebels :/

Oh man, memories.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
God, that sounds like it was hell. I remember hearing about the "You can make Jedi as starters now!" announcement, and immediately thought that it was a bad idea: you don't change a core mechanic of a game after release, it just doesn't work.

There was a comic that I remember tackling that particular aspect of the new game update, but I seem to have lost track of it. On the plus side, this comic [http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8323/20040815lsc2.jpg] suddenly makes a lot more sense, now that I know about the rest of what happened.