Star Wars Goes Philosophical and French in Depressing Reimagining

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Friedrich Nietzsche would be proud.
I'm sure we could make several comparisons between both Nietzsche and Sartre, specifically through their views of why we exist and the hardships we endure during the course of our, perhaps, "futile" existence.

Fox334

Jul 28, 2010
Speaking French kind of ruins the experience, since the dub is actually the original French dub (and doesn't match the subtitles - at all).

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
thylasos said:
Random Argument Man said:
NihilCredo said:
Don't worry if you don't speak French though, because not only have they handily subtitled everything to make it easier to understand, the dialog is actually just nonsense and bears no relation to what the subtitles say.
The dialogue is actually just French dubbing of the original. Though the voice actors are so stilted and horrible that I hope it's not the same version that was actually inflicted on French sci-fi fans in the 70s.
Damn ninjas!

Having an experience with french dubbed material, It wouldn't suprise me if it was that version of the dubbing that they used in the 70s.
Better than Russian dubbing, at least.
Mmmmm I'd have to listen to that. I can safely say though that I had a 0.000000001% enjoyment of a french dubbed material.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Kair said:
matrix3509 said:
I can't say I EVER really agreed with existentialism (in fact I find most existentialists I know to be annoying self-assured tossers, but thats neither here nor there), but this is completely awesome. The parts where Luke looks on cluelessly as Obi-Wan talks to him were especially hilarious.
Why do you not agree that we exist because we think?

Do you not see reason, or is it just the personalities of many existentialists you do not like?
In an effort to avoid derailing the thread, I'll avoid getting into an obtuse philosophical discussion (yet again). Besides, unless your avatar is ironic, I have a feeling it would be like trying to talk to a wall for the both of us.

To answer your second question, yes the personalities of most of the existentialists I know (a whopping three) leave something to be desired, and I'll be the first to admit they may have colored my opinion of it. Though I do find it rather odd how people with extensive knowledge of their chosen philosophy just love to rattle on and on about said philosophy.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
Mmmmm I'd have to listen to that. I can safely say though that I had a 0.000000001% enjoyment of a french dubbed material.
If you haven't already seen this, I suggest you give it a look-see:

http://winterson.com/2005/06/episode-iii-backstroke-of-west.html

Jan 27, 2011
Although the JP sartre stuff is mildly depressing (I studied him last semester), I think the worst bit is hearing the french voice actors do star wars lines...

Darth vader sounds like....like...like.....Well, the worst voice actor in recent memory. >_< He doesn't sound evil at all!

MrPop

May 14, 2009
That was hilarious. It fitted very well to Star Wars. The environments are pretty stark.

And they already have Yoda spouting out philosophies on life. Why not everyone else?

It also reminded me a bit of a random ninja/kung-fu film I saw once where they started talking about why we exists/for what purpose etc.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
DazBurger said:
That is... So depressing!

Thank you for giving me a reason to add "The French" to my Hate-List...

Ill be off... Somewhere dark... Cutting my self...
Don't add the French as a whole, just add Satre, no one will care. In fact, one of my favourite authors advised to use The Age of Reason, one of Satre's plays as a hollowed-out book for hiding your stash because no one will ever look there.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
matrix3509 said:
I can't say I EVER really agreed with existentialism (in fact I find most existentialists I know to be annoying self-assured tossers, but thats neither here nor there).......
Haha, you make it sound like Existentialists are dogmatic, elitist tossers hiding out in their treehouse. If that, by any chance were true I'd be pretty fucking confused. I don't think I've met anyone who's confessed to being "an existentialist". It's a philosophy, not a lifestyle. Nihilism on the other hand......

OT: Why are people saying this is sad? I couldn't take it very seriously. Darth Vader: "I die?"

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
GrizzlerBorno said:
matrix3509 said:
I can't say I EVER really agreed with existentialism (in fact I find most existentialists I know to be annoying self-assured tossers, but thats neither here nor there).......
Haha, you make it sound like Existentialists are dogmatic, elitist tossers hiding out in their treehouse. If that, by any chance were true I'd be pretty fucking confused. I don't think I've met anyone who's confessed to being "an existentialist". It's a philosophy, not a lifestyle. Nihilism on the other hand......

OT: Why are people saying this is sad? I couldn't take it very seriously. Darth Vader: "I die?"
If I made it sound that way I apologize, I happen to know several people (lets call them philosophy majors) who like to wear their personal philosophy on their sleeve as it were. Maybe it the environment of academia that makes them act that way?

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:
Star Wars goes French?

Han Surrendered first.
Thanks so much for my first laugh this morning! I also think the way you used one of the least important (not that ANY of them really are) debates in Star Wars history to underline an article about Satre was brilliant!

The truth is that Star Wars has always been about philosophy. To me that's what made it so great! Maybe that's why so many people hate Jar Jar. They don't realize that he is the representation of the Taoist ideaology....

I like im'! Then again in a weird way it feels like I was always meant to....

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
matrix3509 said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
matrix3509 said:

If I made it sound that way I apologize, I happen to know several people (lets call them philosophy majors) who like to wear their personal philosophy on their sleeve as it were. Maybe it the environment of academia that makes them act that way?
Oh I know that feeling. When all of these ideas first start to "click" for you, and your head opens up into a never-before-imagined vista of complex thoughts and comprehensions you never thought you'd grasp? It can be a pretty overwhelming feeling, and it very often shows through. I can't blame them. But it'll pass, though; don't worry about it.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
GrizzlerBorno said:
matrix3509 said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
matrix3509 said:

Oh I know that feeling. When all of these ideas first start to "click" for you, and your head opens up into a never-before-imagined vista of complex thoughts and comprehensions you never thought you'd grasp? It can be a pretty overwhelming feeling, and it very often shows through. I can't blame them. But it'll pass, though; don't worry about it.
It makes me wonder how people like Sartre and Nietzsche went about their daily lives. Was Nietzsche always depressed and constantly saying nothing matters, or was he just some regular dude who went to the store to buy OJ like the rest of us?

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
matrix3509 said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
matrix3509 said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
matrix3509 said:

It makes me wonder how people like Sartre and Nietzsche went about their daily lives. Was Nietzsche always depressed and constantly saying nothing matters, or was he just some regular dude who went to the store to buy OJ like the rest of us?
That's an interesting thought. If I had to guess, I would say he would almost never talk about Nihilism in public setting. But I guess that because, after a person gains a certain level of respect in my (or anyone's) mind for his intellect and open-mindedness, It's hard to imagine that person as a Taut and a Pedant, becuase that's the antithesis of an Open mind...