Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Give In to the Dark Side

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I tried KOTOR twice, I couldn't get into it. The gameplay was just irritating, and the story wasn't hooking me enough to persevere. I think I'm just spoiled by Mass Effect and other modern RPGs, which have decent voice acting and cinematic dialogue cutscenes.

I enjoyed Jade Empire though, and I'm having fun with Dragon Age: Origins at the moment. I think my main problem is that KOTOR is one of those old RPGS that uses a dice roll combat system, which I think is stupid. I know Dragon Age has that as well, but it feels more bearable because they don't refer to it as such. Saying this ability increases your attack power at the cost of speed makes more sense to me than saying it gives +1 to all combat rolls at a -2 agility penalty.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Vivi22 said:
Milten said:
I was spoiled about the twist in Kotor I beforehand, but I grew so attached to my character, that it still had one hell of an impact on me.
I'll be perfectly honest about that twist: I don't know why it's so well regarded by people. Honestly, it was so obvious almost immediately that I can't imagine someone playing the game for more than a couple of hours and not figuring it out. Bioware honestly wasn't very good at subtlety when it came to foreshadowing.
At the time, it was one of the biggest twists i had ever seen, maybe older people (lates teens at that time) caught on to it, or if you played it recently for the first time, its kinda obvious, but when you are barely a teen? Hell, when i played it i was 12! Hearing that twist for the first time when you are that young is kinda shocking xD

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
KoTOR is pretty good, re-playing it now. KoTOR II will always be better though. Bioware do not have a good handle on morality, since it's a choice between being a dick for the sake of being a dick or acting like a sensible person.

Ah, yes, if there's one thing which pissed me off in this game, it's that it was built upon a Jedi vs Idiot jerk dichotomy.

Same problem can be said about Jade Empire: why the game lore claimed that open palm and closed fist followers were equally capable of spreading good or harm around them, you still ended with the same Jedi vs Idiot jerk pseudo dilemma.

It still the case in more recent games: it's impossible to built rivalry with team-mates in Dragon Age 2 without acting like a dicks toward them, and the first Mass Effect tended to couple Renegade choices with "Racist Prick" attitudes.

But for me, the most annoying thing about Kotor is how tiny the zones were: first planet you end up in a large ?cumenopolis? All the important stuff is a five minutes walk away from your safe-house. You go to Tatooine? Smae deal: everything you need to find: the elusive sand people camp and the oh-so-secret-that-no-one-ever-found-it-in-millennia are 500 feet away from the spaceport's gates. That's why I tend to prefer old school games where the world map is prominently featured: they do a much better shot at giving you the feeling that the characters are traveling along long distances.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Game looks like ass, plays like ass, tastes like ass, gotta be ass. But hey its Bioware ass, so you know its damn fine ass. I would buy it if the EU wasn't raped, set on fire and put out of its misery by the diabolically evil House the Mouse built, Walt Disney.

Alexei F. Karamazov

Feb 22, 2014
I've heard a lot about KOTOR, but I've never had a chance to play it myself. I bought KOTOR2 a while back for original XBOX, but haven't gotten around to playing it because there were other things available. One big reason that's kept me away, though, is that I've heard that both KOTOR and KOTOR2 run horribly on XBOX nowadays. Is KOTOR even backwards compatible with the 360? I'd be willing to give both games a try if they actually ran on 360 at a reasonable pace. Or am I better off with PC?

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
Both are backwards compatible with the 360....I need to continue my games in each, since I don't have an original Xbox anymore....

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
It's still my #3 favourite game of all time (after the two N64 Zelda games) and got me into RPGs and Bioware in general. Love it to bits! If they make a HD remake then I will buy it straight away!

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
KoTOR 1 was the first ever Xbox game I bought back in 2003. I still have the cd, in good shape. It is and will probably always be one of my favorite games ever, I hesitate to even count how many times I've replayed the game since and somehow I still get huge amounts of entertainment out of it. The apparent simplicity, yet with a lot of complexity in the background just hooks you.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Man, I remember when I played through this game. The plot twist absolutely floored me, I'll proudly proclaim that I didn't see it coming.

Heh. I can just picture the protagonist chatting with Luke Skywalker, at the cantina:

Revan: "Pfff.... Oh, big deal, your big baddie turned out to be your dad? I had to find out that I was the villain all along!"

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
KoTOR is pretty good, re-playing it now. KoTOR II will always be better though. Bioware do not have a good handle on morality, since it's a choice between being a dick for the sake of being a dick or acting like a sensible person.

II was better in every regard, imho. If you truly want to get some jollies out of KoTOR I, try roleplaying as a Gray Jedi. Balancing out decisions and party member's approval is difficult, but pretty fun.
I think the gameplay was fleshed out for the sequel, but KotORII is just a mess, otherwise. The game was a mess of bugs and broken quests, and the narrative limped along until it ended rather abruptly, and in an incredibly unsatisfying way. It was clearly a pre-mature release, rushed out to hit the stores for the holidays.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Halbert said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

II was better in every regard, imho. If you truly want to get some jollies out of KoTOR I, try roleplaying as a Gray Jedi. Balancing out decisions and party member's approval is difficult, but pretty fun.
I think the gameplay was fleshed out for the sequel, but KotORII is just a mess, otherwise. The game was a mess of bugs and broken quests, and the narrative limped along until it ended rather abruptly, and in an incredibly unsatisfying way. It was clearly a pre-mature release, rushed out to hit the stores for the holidays.
Two things:
1)Updates
2)The Sith Lord Restored Content Mod

Besides, the character dialogue was good anyway, and it still carried the spirit of what the game was trying to convey. I urge you to play the patched PC version with the above mod, as it improves it significantly. Though even without it, just the patched game itself is still glorious to me.