Star Wars not nominated for best picture of the year.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
As much as I loved the movie it does have problems, so I think not being nominated for best picture is fair. It got nominated for visual effects which I feel is deserved, it's going to have tough competition in that category though.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
No, no, no. The academy awards are about artistic merit, not popularity, or even success. The Force Awakens was the Big Mac and fries of cinema. You may enjoy it, but let's not pretend it's something special. I would be disgusted if it had gotten nominated. Frankly, I don't even think it deserved the technical nominations it received. We shouldn't award mediocrity.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
bartholen said:
What in the holy fuck? Is someone seriously advocating for this? No, just no. Why don't we start nominating Marvel movies while we're at it?
...Why not? I mean I'm not sure that any of them to date have been Oscar Material, but if Django Unchained and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon can be nominated for Best Picture, and Return of the King and Gladiator can win it why should the idea of a Marvel movie getting a nomination seem outlandish?

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
OT: In all honesty, as many others have said, Star Wars isn't really Oscar material, none of the movies really have ever been anything Oscar worthy.
Actually, the original Star Wars (now Episode IV) was one of the biggest winners during the 50th Academy Awards with six wins (Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, Best Film Editing, Best Original Score, Best Sound and Best Visual Effects), and was nominated for several more, including Best Picture (which it lost to Annie Hall).

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
Souplex said:
If the Oscars were about quality, they would acknowledge that action and comedy were things, and they would take all the awards they gave to Titanic, and give them to Men in Black.
Oof. Men in Black?

Sir, we're going to have to ask you to leave.
Men in Black isn't my favorite movie ever, (That honor goes to Pacific Rim) it is merely the objective best movie ever.
As such, you have forced me to do this.
*Revokes BloatedGuppy's opinion license*
You can have this back when you've demonstrated enough responsibility to use it properly.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Souplex said:
Men in Black isn't my favorite movie ever, (That honor goes to Pacific Rim) it is merely the objective best movie ever.

You can have this back when you've demonstrated enough responsibility to use it properly.
Pacific Rim? Pacific Rim was terrible! I was SO disappointed.

I'll...I'll prepare the dueling pistols. It's supposed to be misty tomorrow morning so we might have to wait until Sunday.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
RJ 17 said:
SNCommand said:
I agree with the academy awards, The Force Awakens is not close to being among the best pictures of the year, and if we were to start handing awards based on audience enjoyment then Michael Bay would be rolling in oscar statuettes
And yet Mad Max: Fury Road is worthy of a Best Picture nomination based on more than audience enjoyment?

Edit: to be clear, I'll agree that SW probably didn't deserve the nomination (let alone winning the category)...but the fact that Mad Max got a nomination while Star Wars didn't is what makes me call bullshit.
I agree. Frankly, neither of them deserve as many noms as they've received.

Fanboy love is a force[footnote]ba dum tish[/footnote] to be reckoned with, I 'spose.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
When I see that Mad Max has 10 Oscar nominations when it clearly didn't give a flying f#$% about winning awards...

THAT makes me think the Oscars are more in touch than ever, actually.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Entaris said:
http://moviepilot.com/posts/3734024?utm_source=fb-channel-superheroes&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=no-best-picture-nomination-for-star-wars-the-force-awakens-is-the-academy-out-of-touch

A bit of interesting wording here. Thoughts?
How is this news? Of course The Force Awakens is not going to get The Best Picture award - it doesn't deserve it by any stretch of imagination.

Nov 28, 2007
I quite enjoyed TFA, but it was not Best Picture material. That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it more than some Best Pictures I've seen (not naming movies), but I enjoyed it on a different level than, say, Schindler's List.

What I find is a travesty is Jurassic World not getting a nod for Best Visual Effects.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
Souplex said:

Pacific Rim? Pacific Rim was terrible! I was SO disappointed.

I'll...I'll prepare the dueling pistols. It's supposed to be misty tomorrow morning so we might have to wait until Sunday.
...Pistols?
*Slaps with gauntlet*
Gentleman duel with swords, on horseback with lances, or with their fists!
We will meet on the Brooklyn-side arch of the Brooklyn Bridge at 4:30 (Sunset duels in the most beautiful place in the world are nice) on Sunday!
Even if you do by some miracle defeat me, you will still not have earned the right to an opinion.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Asita said:
...Why not? I mean I'm not sure that any of them to date have been Oscar Material, but if Django Unchained and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon can be nominated for Best Picture, and Return of the King and Gladiator can win it why should the idea of a Marvel movie getting a nomination seem outlandish?
What's wrong with those movies?

OT:

TFA should be nowhere near that category.

The awards have been a joke for me ever since Shakespeare in Love won best picture over Saving Private Ryan. I mean what the hell.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Glongpre said:
The awards have been a joke for me ever since Shakespeare in Love won best picture over Saving Private Ryan. I mean what the hell.
That was a travesty (bought and paid for as it was) but I didn't even think Saving Private Ryan deserved it. Of the years two huge World War 2 films, I thought Malick's Thin Red Line was the more essential. It's certainly a far more daring movie.

And both of those aside, the most iconic film of that year might very well have turned out to be The Big Lebowski, which wasn't even nominated.

And holy shit, don't even get me started on the following year. American Beauty. Pah. PAH. That was the point where my enthusiasm for the Academy Awards was unraveling in earnest.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
BloatedGuppy said:
Souplex said:
If the Oscars were about quality, they would acknowledge that action and comedy were things, and they would take all the awards they gave to Titanic, and give them to Men in Black.
Oof. Men in Black?

Sir, we're going to have to ask you to leave.
mmmhmmm.

There's an LA Confidential, like, right there.

Asita

Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Glongpre said:
Asita said:
What's wrong with those movies?

OT:

TFA should be nowhere near that category.

Nothing. In fact I'm quite fond of most of them. My listing them there wasn't meant to be a mark against them or a 'how far the oscars have fallen' jab. I was just saying that broadly speaking you could lump them in the same category as - for instance - Age of Ultron. My intended point was that there's no reason that a Marvel movie couldn't be as worthy of the Academy Awards, not that Marvel movies were more worthy.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Even if Star Wars was the best movie of the year, it wouldn't get nominated. They never nominate movies like Star Wars for best picture. I was surprised that Lord of the Rings was even nominated.

Best Picture tends to go to movies that are... not likely to gain public attention. It's only by being nominated or winning a Best Picture award that Jon Q Public even cares about them. Star Wars doesn't need that push. People were going to see it. It'll get Best Special Effects and be happy to get that. If it's lucky, it might be nominated and even win some other awards.

Asita

Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Saltyk said:
Even if Star Wars was the best movie of the year, it wouldn't get nominated. They never nominate movies like Star Wars for best picture. I was surprised that Lord of the Rings was even nominated.
...Best Picture Nominees for the 50th Academy Awards (April 3, 1978):

The Goodbye Girl
Julia
Star Wars
Annie Hall (Winner)
The Turning Point

It happens.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Well, for one, the Academy Awards are meaningless. They're not exactly the best judges of movie quality.

For another, while I liked Star Wars, I can see why it wouldn't be nominated for best picture. "Making a lot of money" and "being popular" don't automatically denote quality. Sometimes, a mediocre film can sneak in to the nominations a la "American Sniper," but not always.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Guys, you do all realize that MoviePilot is a user-submitted site right? I myself have made two (admittedly pretty shit quality) articles for the site on my free time. It's a site where people mostly write down random things with no quality control at all, I'd say it's a glorified public submission blog but I don't think it really even goes that far.