Star Wars Prequels (a tired perspective)

Omniponent

Nov 19, 2009
First off I'll start by saying if you're a troll you're a troll you're gonna have a field day so get your hate ready. For everyone else with an ounce of maturity hear me out.

Ok, so if you have used the internet or read or watched something pertaining to the the web you've have probably heard someone rant about, or more often than not, go out of their way to hate on the most recent Star Wars films( I, II, and III not including the animated one). And to be frank, not only do I not this silliness, but I'm tired of it.

I grew up with the original trilogy and when I heard they were re-releasing the movies with new effects and polished audio, I was like "Hell! yeah, the 90's are awesome". And then I watched Fresh Prince. and it was awesome.
And when I finally got my hands on the box set in that shiny golden case, I was so freaking pumped. When I put it in and watched all 3. I was blown away. New scenes, better sound, better effects! It was like eating the last Ho-Ho in the box and then , right as you're about to throw the box away you realize you missed one.

And then I saw that in 1999 they were gonna have a new Star Wars, I was so excited! I saw it in theaters, and it was awesome. The robots were cool, the charm was there, the effects were great and the pod-race, to this day remains one of my favorite racing scenes of all time.( Whenever I see an accident I make jokes about the driver pissing off Sebulba) The only major flaw I saw i the film was the actor they chose for Anakin,and yes, he's not a great actor. But he wasn't central to most scenes and I almost feel like they downplayed his lines as much as possible. It seemed to be more about Master Liam Neeson and Obi Wan Kenobi.

My point is that while many people seem to think it's clever to dwell on, what they consider to be the negative parts of the movie, they forget that these movies weren't meant for an aging cranky bunch farts, these movies were meant to bring the story of Star Wars to a new audience and I respect that. Any one can seem clever by bashing a movie they didn't enjoy, it's not clever or smart or even funny. Given a chance people, not just trolls, are givin leeway when it comes to talking trash about these films.

The fact that some people didn't enjoy these movies isn't what bugs me, it's not even the fact that people voice their opinions about these movies that bugs me. Its the fact that they do it in a way that assumes its for granted. They assume it's something that is indisputable. Cause it's not, its an opinion, so use it as such.

But then again I didn't enjoy Mass Effect so I guess that makes me a fag

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, this thread is directed at the people who say that the prequels sucking is fact, and not people who just don't like the prequels. I can accept that. Hell, I'll even agree that people constantly complaining about the prequels can get tiresome at times.

I'm pretty sure you'll get flack for this, but I don't think you deserve it. You like the prequels, you can respect people who don't like them, but you can't stand that it's so universally accepted that they suck that anyone actually liking the prequels is going to feel alienated pretty fast. It's an opinion I can get behind, and it's a valid argument.

Still, you could easily deflect a lot of the incoming hatred if you don't try to defend the prequels as much. That will just get people started. For example, saying things like how people hate the prequels because it's not aimed at them is a sure thing to get bashed to hell, because it's not a very valid argument, and the weakest of arguments is what most people attack first. Keep the focus on the fact that you're annoyed with the hatred being so universally accepted that people trying to argue that the prequels are good get completely ignored or trolled and your real point will get across much easier

Datalord

Oct 9, 2008
Actually, why can't they make a movie about the new repblic? It would probably have been more interesting than the prequels, just from the story line, although it would be even better now that the prequel has been released, seeing as Darth Caedus is a direct throwback to Vader.

I'd love to see a movie about Luke, Leia, Anakin, and Jacen fighting Yuuzhan Vong soldiers while Han and Jaina shoot it out with a worldship over Coruscant.

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
I actually agree with you, Omni. I liked the prequels on their own. All three were a good watch, but they felt very disconnected with the original trilogy- and if you go in with that mindset, you can actually enjoy the prequels more. but, yes.
The actors for Anakin could have been better- and I as well think that the prequels were about Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the original were about Luke.

The driving force behind the hatred for the prequels is probably nostalgia.

Edit: Yeah! I don't know a lick about the Post-movie Universe. I'd not mind if Star Wars: Episode VII would be about the New Republic.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Omniponent said:
Why the bloody hell are we still talking about this?!

I hated the prequels, but at least I'm not still making threads about why I hate them. It's over, move on.

Mar 30, 2010
Datalord said:
Actually, why can't they make a movie about the new repblic? It would probably have been more interesting than the prequels, just from the story line, although it would be even better now that the prequel has been released, seeing as Darth Caedus is a direct throwback to Vader.

I'd love to see a movie about Luke, Leia, Anakin, and Jacen fighting Yuuzhan Vong soldiers while Han and Jaina shoot it out with a worldship over Coruscant.
I'd like to see the resurgence of the Empire under Grand Admiral Thrawn myself, but I suppose they couldn't make 7,8 and 9 without the prequels first. Original fans had been waiting since the 70's (and I'd been waiting since the 80's) to see the fall of Anakin Skywalker.

Wait...What

May 10, 2009
I'm with you personally i think the prequels were decent on their own and didn't deserve the hate they got. The problem was it was just impossible to live up to the hype, the originals were accidental masterpieces and nobody thought they would get the reception they did, so with no expectations they flourished these new ones had too much expectation that everyone was disappointed, even though on their own merits they're average/above average.

I know i'm not the most articulate person in the world but decipher what you can from that, just my view :)

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
I loved the Prequel Trilogy almost as much as the original Trilogy, Hayden Christiensen included. If you don't like it, I don't care!

Flame on you amusing trolls.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Withall said:
The driving force behind the hatred for the prequels is probably nostalgia.
Yet another weak argument against the hatred for the prequels that many get aggravated by.

Look, the constant bashing of the prequels may not be valid at times, but that doesn't mean that you can simply dismiss the hatred as something not having to do with the quality of the prequels.

This is one of the biggest sources to why there is so much arguing about this. Instead of countering arguments with valid responses, people make false accusations that others opinions are biased, or that they are viewing something from the wrong perspective. In my opinion, that's just as bad as people not accepting arguments supporting prequels because they hate them too much. If it's going to end, both sides must acknowledge that they all have valid arguments in their favor. That way, liking and disliking the prequels becomes justified.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Datalord said:
And Chewbacca dying? George Lucas isn't going to kill off the walking carpet. It'd destroy the poor kiddies, etc.

That said, there is way too much story in those books to fit into just three movies. Far too many characters too; they work as books, but streamlining them to movie form would just cut out too much for what was left to be a coherent narrative.

Plus, again, Chewie can't die. He's too hardcore.

Sneaky-Pie said:
What are these prequels you speak of?

There are only three Star Wars movies.
Also, only three Indiana Jones movies, only two X-Men movies, and just the one Matrix.

In my head, reality is a nicer place...

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
wadark said:
I loved the Prequel Trilogy almost as much as the original Trilogy, Hayden Christiensen included. If you don't like it, I don't care!

Seeing as how this thread is pretty calm, I don't think any trolls are going to flame you.

No amusing trolls for you!

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
Datalord said:
And Chewbacca dying? George Lucas isn't going to kill off the walking carpet. It'd destroy the poor kiddies, etc.

That said, there is way too much story in those books to fit into just three movies. Far too many characters too; they work as books, but streamlining them to movie form would just cut out too much for what was left to be a coherent narrative.

Plus, again, Chewie can't die. He's too hardcore.

Sneaky-Pie said:
What are these prequels you speak of?

There are only three Star Wars movies.
Also, only three Indiana Jones movies, only two X-Men movies, and just the one Matrix.
Plus 5 extra seasons of Firefly and Heath Ledger living long enough for a third Batman film.

The mind doesn't just have to be about excluding stuff.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
It seems that your infinite power has brought all the Star Wars prequel trilogy supporters flocking to your thread, Omnipotent. I too agree with you.

Wait...
Omniponent said:
But then again I didn't enjoy Mass Effect
[HEADING=1]EVERYTHING YOU HAVE SAID IS NOW NULL BECAUSE YOU SAID ONE THING THAT I DISAGREE WITH! FEAR MY TROLLRAGE!!!!111one11!!!1eleven1!![/HEADING]

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
Hubilub said:
wadark said:

Seeing as how this thread is pretty calm, I don't think any trolls are going to flame you.

No amusing trolls for you!
Aww, really? Oh well.

But seriously. I do believe that the prequels garner WAAAAAAAAAAY too much flak. They weren't perfect, but they were decent in their own right. The problem was all the fanboys who turned the original Star Wars trilogy into the all powerful geek-deity and raised it to such a level that nothing could ever live up to it.

I swear if I ever hear "George Lucas raped my childhood" again, I'm going to go insane, with probably a few deaths along the way.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Hubilub said:
Plus 5 extra seasons of Firefly and Heath Ledger living long enough for a third Batman film.

Whoa there, pickle. I think you mean four extra series of Firefly. Five seasons appears to be Joss Whedon's magic number, the point where he is capable of ending his shows with an awesome season and kickass finale. Resurrect them after that, and you get...well...Buffy season 6. Sex with Spike, yet more Dawn, angsty emo Buffy, paper-thin drug allegory in Willow's magic addiction, etc.

On the other hand, Nerd Trio and musical episode, proving that nothing is entirely without merit.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
wadark said:
I swear if I ever hear "George Lucas raped my childhood" again, I'm going to go insane, with probably a few deaths along the way.
George Lucas did rape my childhood! If by childhood you mean puppy. It certainly destroyed my innocence.

I just wish he hadn't made me watch....

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
Hubilub said:

Whoa there, pickle. I think you mean four extra series of Firefly. Five seasons appears to be Joss Whedon's magic number, the point where he is capable of ending his shows with an awesome season and kickass finale. Resurrect them after that, and you get...well...Buffy season 6. Sex with Spike, yet more Dawn, angsty emo Buffy, paper-thin drug allegory in Willow's magic addiction, etc.

On the other hand, Nerd Trio and musical episode, proving that nothing is entirely without merit.
Fine then.

4 and a half

They never got to finish the first season after all.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Hubilub said:
Fine then.

4 and a half

They never got to finish the first season after all.
Buffy's first series was only a half-season, remember. Let's not dick about with the magic formula...

And I thought the first season was intended to finish with the bounty hunter episode?

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
SonicWaffle said:
wadark said:
George Lucas did rape my childhood! If by childhood you mean puppy. It certainly destroyed my innocence.

I just wish he hadn't made me watch....
I don't believe George Lucas held a gun to your head and forced you to watch. Unless he actually did, in which case I seriously misjudged the mild mannered old guy I saw on the interviews.