Star Wars Re-imagined As a 1980's Anime

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars Re-imagined As a 1980's Anime

Star Wars: The Lost 1980's Anime envisions a franchise complete with lightsaber hands, scorpion shape-shifts and giant transforming robots.

There was something arguably glorious about anime in the 1980s. Sure, the content we received in the United States wasn't always the best that Japanese animation had to offer, but it was always fun to watch. That in mind, we're pretty sure that it's next to impossible to not love Star Wars: The Lost 1980's Anime. Created by the fine folks at Nacho Punch, The Lost 1980's Anime, in the space of about 60 seconds, envisions what Star Wars would have been like had it been an imported (and badly dubbed) product of Japan rather than a creation of George Lucas.

The results, not surprisingly, are fairly glorious, doing a great job of emulating the style and flaws of the shows coming to America during at the time. The voice acting, for instance, is a spot on imitation of the often lifeless and awkward performances you find in a lot of earlier dubs. The faux translation likewise, is appropriately awful. You also have to love to the nod to the <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHRGQFA-MyA>occasionally bonkers Famicom Star Wars game.

What cinches it for me however is the part where Death Star deploys the "Star Beast" and the Millenium Falcon has to merge with Luke's X-Wing to create a giant robot complete with seizure inducing strobe effects. I'm think that if George Lucas had opted to add that to the special editions, he might not have received as many complaints as he did. Put shortly, Star Wars: The Lost 1980's Anime is a brief bit of ridiculous fun and we'd sorely recommend you give it a view.

Source: <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0hU6PDrXco>YouTube

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
I... I don't... what is this? This is glorious!
On a different note, I'm fairly certain that if the Ewoks were replaced by the Star Beast, episode VI would be 90% more awesome.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Any connection to the people who showed us what a Doctor Who anime would look like?

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
This is an actual product, by the way:

Actually, four of the Star Wars films were adapted to manga.
Oh God... I've gotta find this and watch it. IT MUST BE DONE!

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
You know, as a kid... ..I'd have watched, and enjoyed, this. I liked Gaiking, I was an odd kid - sue me.

And I'm not surprised they actually made a real one, I'd have been shocked if they hadn't to be truthful.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
AldUK said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

No no um eheh it's a book not a show. Like, you know, a comic book. For reading. Words and pictures.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
My God, that was hilarious. And I would watch it. As a fan of Star Wars who enjoys a good anime (and sometimes even bad anime) this would be right up my alley. It's almost sad that it isn't a real anime. Star Wars manga adaption not withstanding.
Andy of Comix Inc said:

I'm actually curious as to how faithful to the source material it is. I know they altered a few things in it, Chewy is more cute and acts as the series mascot, but did they change any other things? I wouldn't think they would, but I've seen plenty of adaptions and they all change some things.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Andy of Comix Inc said:

My High School library had one of the volumes (return of the Jedi) and I've seen a few more in Fobidden Planet. I will say for one thing, the Leia in the slave clothing was way more hotter in manga form! (What?)

Anyway, that was pretty funny but I bet Harry Partridge would of done it better!

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
AldUK said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

No no um eheh it's a book not a show. Like, you know, a comic book. For reading. Words and pictures.
Yes I know the difference between manga and anime, thank you. I simply misread and the passive-aggressive sarcasm was entirely unnecessary.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
That... is... awesome! Really cheesy, but awesome!(Favorite Parts: "JEDI POWERS ACTIVATE!" and the transforming mecha bit)

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I wonder how many people will get the scorpion reference?

Man this was awesome. I was grinning like an idiot through the whole thing. Can we get a Lord of the Rings one too? I want to see a tsundere Gollum.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Lono Shrugged said:
Man that Vader-scorpion reference was pretty esoteric. I can't believe I actually got that...
I know, right?

I was wondering who else would get it.

Why? Because Japan.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Man, that is so 80s....Anime.

bafrali said:
I wonder how many people will get the scorpion reference?
Unless there's something I'm missing about the reference, any AVGN fan?

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
AldUK said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
AldUK said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

Yes I know the difference between manga and anime, thank you. I simply misread and the passive-aggressive sarcasm was entirely unnecessary.
Sorry, I was doing a "death of books" schtick. YOU HAVE TO READ THE WORDS. IT'S REALLY WEIRD THAT IT DOESN'T JUST READ THEM FOR YOU.

I didn't mean that you didn't know the difference between manga and anime, I was just being facetious my friend. Sorry for any offence! Or, I guess not offence, but I was certainly being extremely pedantic and condescending.