Star Wars Rebels Debut Trailer Reveals New Characters

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Star Wars Rebels Debut Trailer Reveals New Characters

The NEW between-Trilogy continuity begins here

As you may recall, the production of new Star Wars movies set after the events of Return of The Jedi necessitated deleting the so-called "Extended Universe" continuity of from the official SW canon. While this does free up filmmakers to tell new stories beginning with JJ Abramas yet-untitled Episode VII, it also means that an entirely new set of stories will be needed to fill the gaps between Revenge of The Sith and A New Hope.

That project begins with Disney XD's new animated series, Star Wars Rebels, which is set five years prior to Hope. The first trailer has now been posted to YouTube.

The main characters are a group of youngsters being led by a mysterious former Jedi who somehow survived the Order 66 massacre in Sith. Of note to hardcore SW fans, several characters, locations and other details have been heavily drawn from Ralph McQuarrie's Original Trilogy concept art - including an alien and a a droid based on the original designs of Chewbacca and R2-D2. In addition, Billy Dee Williams is set to reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

Rebels Will debut on Disney XD in October. A panel related to the series is currently set to be the only (announced) presence of the Star Wars franchise at this weekend's San Diego Comic-Con.

Source: Star Wars [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg5YN3LAGw4]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Looks pretty neat. I didn't really care enough to watch Clone Wars though. I'm still really confused about what's no-longer cannon though...Everything after Return of the Jedi is gone and I've come to grips with that but the in-between stuff is where I get confused...I guess Starkiller and, Force Unleashed isn't a thing that happened any more which is perfectly fine and dandy...but what of Shadow's of the Empire...? I'm crossing my fingers for a Crisis in Infinite Galaxies kind of thing happens honestly...

Oh Hey, Billy Dee Williams is in this?! Awesome!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
If this is on Netflix, I'll check it out eventually, but eh.

Shoggoth2588 said:
Looks pretty neat. I didn't really care enough to watch Clone Wars though. I'm still really confused about what's no-longer cannon though...Everything after Return of the Jedi is gone and I've come to grips with that but the in-between stuff is where I get confused...I guess Starkiller and, Force Unleashed isn't a thing that happened any more which is perfectly fine and dandy...but what of Shadow's of the Empire...? I'm crossing my fingers for a Crisis in Infinite Galaxies kind of thing happens honestly...

I think they're just outright not beholden to anything not from the movies. Which is basically what Lucas was doing in the first place.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
looks really promising, but did anyone else think the animation was lackluster? The flow just didn't feel right

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:

I guess its possible that Forced Unleashed stays canon, but it'd be pretty hard to shoehorn the whole rebellion creation storyline into this if this is supposed to be the makings of the rebellion as well.

As for Shadows of the Empire, not likely at all. About the only things that are definite canon now are the movies and the Clone Wars show. Forced Unleashed is up in the air until we find out how canon this show is, until then its still considered canon.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Inquisitors...now that's something I wasn't expecting them to revive from the old Expanded Universe. Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition![footnote]As spoken by Inquisitor Fa'Zoll. Yes, the famous Monty Python quote was actually appropriated into the Star Wars canon at one point.[/footnote]

So I take it the Jedi characters are going to be killed somehow before the series is through? Kind of dark for a show that looks to be family-friendly, but I suppose it could be handled well. I'd hate to have a repeat of the old EU, where an absurd number of Jedi survived the purge:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Order_66
(Scroll down to "Known Survivors." It's ridiculous)

Truth be told, I was hoping for a Star Wars experience that didn't have to resort to whipping out lightsabers (certain novels and video games have proven it can be done), but it's not necessarily a deal breaker for me. Going to take a "wait and see" approach for this one.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Okay I can't be the only one to think that visually it doesn't look as good as the Clone Wars right? There's a definite lack of detail in the environments.

shintakie10 said:
I guess its possible that Forced Unleashed stays canon, but it'd be pretty hard to shoehorn the whole rebellion creation storyline into this if this is supposed to be the makings of the rebellion as well.
There were like 4-5 different stories about how the Rebels got the plans for the first Death Star so this wouldn't be too different. Then again that's also when they cared about continuity.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I will give it a watch seeing how I watched the Clone Wars and lived to tell the tale (still it gonna be in the same route that their effort are for nothing as they don't appear in episode 4-6)! Also is that the same VA who voiced Obi in the Clone War as Obi again?

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Neverhoodian said:
Inquisitors...now that's something I wasn't expecting them to revive from the old Expanded Universe. Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition![footnote]As spoken by Inquisitor Fa'Zoll. Yes, the famous Monty Python quote was actually appropriated into the Star Wars canon at one point.[/footnote]

So I take it the Jedi characters are going to be killed somehow before the series is through? Kind of dark for a show that looks to be family-friendly, but I suppose it could be handled well. I'd hate to have a repeat of the old EU, where an absurd number of Jedi survived the purge:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Order_66
(Scroll down to "Known Survivors." It's ridiculous)

Truth be told, I was hoping for a Star Wars experience that didn't have to resort to whipping out lightsabers (certain novels and video games have proven it can be done), but it's not necessarily a deal breaker for me. Going to take a "wait and see" approach for this one.

Just under 200 survivors from 10,000 Jedi isn't that much if this information about the EU is correct

"It was said that fewer than one hundred Jedi?approximately one percent of the entire Order?survived Order 66.
However, it appeared that that was incorrect, as the number seemed to actually be closer to two hundred."

Gilgamesh00

Nov 22, 2008
...it also means that an entirely new set of stories will be needed to fill the gaps between Revenge of The Sith and A New Hope.
Revenge of The Sith and A New Hope.
What. Why?! Did the "Extended Universe" also include the Clone Wars animated series (both of them) ? Does this mean they're not cannon anymore? I guess it just feels weird to me (and stupid honestly), that they would do that CGI animated series crap for so long without it actually mattering to the real story.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Eeeeeh
The voice acting kind of puts me off. Too many "cool" one-liners. It's possible the real show is better and they just made it like that to make the kids like it, so I guess I'll give it a chance.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
The chick in pink Mandalorian (Fett) armor is weird because unless things changed the Fetts were the last Mandalorians. Is she Boba's kid? Or is there only being one Mandalorian no longer canon?

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Falterfire said:
The chick in pink Mandalorian (Fett) armor is weird because unless things changed the Fetts were the last Mandalorians. Is she Boba's kid? Or is there only being one Mandalorian no longer canon?
there only being mandalorian was changed years ago when karen travis started writting her books with them being thousands of them

then the clone wars wanted to change that again so karen took her ball and left and now her works are no longer canon but the clone wars version of them is

I am so excited for rebels greg freaking wiesman is working on it

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
"Disney XD" gives me nightmarish flashbacks to Tron Uprising and how they massacred that, but otherwise I'm looking forward to this. Clone Wars was brilliant by the time it was done (it made Jar Jar and Anakin of all people not just tolerable but actually watchable with the latter actually having a legitimate fall from grace over the course of the series), but it's nice to see us moving past a story set in that era again.
Hell, I'd like to see the different eras get their time in the spotlight and reestablish the EU for them.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Looks kinda cool, I will have to check it out. One nitpick I have about the animation (and many of the various Star Wars games and things) is that it all looks too smooth and shiny to be Star Wars. I wonder if anything is ever going to be able to recapture the feel of the original trilogy? Looked like 1313 might have been able to do it before it got canceled (and oddly, Mass Effect 1 seemed to evoke a very similar feel somehow), but I have not encountered anything else that could.

Firanai

Jun 7, 2010
please can someone tell me that this show is going to be different than clone wars?. I really tried to like clone wars but it had the most dumb, cheesiest, cliche and laziest dialogues and stories I've ever seen. I understand that it was a show for kids but come on. One thing is to make your script simpler for kids and another one to treat them like they are dumb. I just hope rebels is a little bit more mature.

Count_A'ight

Dec 29, 2010
I have already begun supporting the show as I have the Lego version of the Ghost and it is awesome. Then again, it's a Corellian ship and I'm a sucker for Corellian ship design. Very hopeful this show turns out to be great.