Star Wars: Rebels Review: The Force Is Strong with This One

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Fanghawk said:
Sure, I get wanting the Empire to look bad, but that's pretty heavy-handed, even by cartoon standards. At one point a Stormtrooper stops fighting rebels so he can literally chase a terrified Wookie toddler for five minutes. The murders of Uncle Ben and Aunt Beru were more subtle than this, and it reduces everyone involved into one-dimensional archetypes. Thankfully, once we've established that yes, the Rebels are good and the Empire is unredeemably evil, we can start getting to the fun stuff.
But... they are unredeemably evil. They are space nazi's. Yes... not all Nazis were evil. But the majority were. And most of the ones we're likely to see certainly are. They're military and have been conditioned and indoctrinated just like the actual Nazis were.

Look, I get what you're saying and I don't completely disagree. The trooper chasing the kid wookie was kinda lame. However that doesn't mean he was going to kill him.

I just watched the third episode and it was much better than the pilot. Some parts were subtle, while others were overt. But the show is not afraid to go into darker territory, trust me. But if you don't want to be spoiled, don't read below.

The implied genocide of Zeb's race is a theme in the episode. Plus we get to see an an imperial government official who isn't completely evil. There is subtlety there. And it's more than I ever saw in Clone Wars.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
But don't worry, these Rebels are cartoonishly good-hearted freedom fighters, not terrorists. The Ghost's mercenary crew is motivated by pure intentions, and will do absolutely anything to help the common alien. Those cargo crates were filled with food the Empire kept from starving farmers who were evicted from prime real estate
It's not entirely clear in the episode, but it's actually worse than that. Those cargo crates weren't filled with food. They were filled with military grade weapons that the Ghost's crew sold to the black market. I assume they then used the profits to buy the food. A noble cause, sure, but it doesn't change the fact that our heroes are closer to the Sons of Anarchy than Robin Hood and his Merry Men.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
hakkarin said:
Am I missing anything if I did not watch all the earlier seasons of clone wars? I only watched the first 3 seasons of that show.
Well, you're missing out on some of the best Star Wars stories out there, but nothing directly related to Star Wars: Rebels.

As long as you've seen Episode III, or are even vaguely aware of what happened in it, you're fine.

UMID

Mar 5, 2008
Ragsnstitches said:
Also, the Protag (ezra?) is kind of grating and looks like Aladdin...
Couldn't agree more. Feels like gratuitous Disneyfication to me. The Ghost crew seems like they could be interesting tho.

What bothers me most is the dialogue and general sound editing. In the 7m clip there, almost all you hear is music, engine sounds and clipped speech. No background noise, no sounds from characters except when they're speaking, or the odd footfall when it's obvious. Feels empty, somehow.

I did like the clone wars, so I'll look forward to seeing if rebels can live up to that legacy ... but so far I'm not terribly impressed.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I was going to say "this art style looks like one of those tv or direct to DVD Disney shows" but oh wait...

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Ragsnstitches said:
I like the animation. High quality stuff. Audio's kind of shit though. It's Star Wars, the musical score and action needs to be louder then what it is. And frankly, it would do the show a favor because the VA is pretty bad as far as that 7 minute preview is concerned.

Also, the Protag (ezra?) is kind of grating and looks like Aladdin...

Not helped by the fact they are both street urchins in a desert city.
Gotta eat to live, gotta steal to eat tell you all about it when I got the time! *Runs off with Imperial weapons*

undeadsuitor said:
I'm just glad it's a star wars show not entirely centered around jedi/sith fights like everything else has been since the prequels.
At the risk of spoilers, it heavily looks like we're going to have a Jedi Master and Apprentice. Though according to Wookiepedia from the way he's dressed up their big bad is going to be an inquisitor whom- according to oldie star wars (Expanded Universe) fans Isn't -actually- a sith, just a badass normal on their payroll. So yea, Jedi vs Empire more than Jedi vs Sith.

Kusko25 said:
While not being to impressed with the characters and the like it is rare that I get engaged in a show based on the first episode. So I'm gonna give that a shot.
What bothered me though was that in an era where Disney actively discredits old cliches in their movies they are so ready to jump on the 'Stormtroopers suck at their job' bandwagon. Those are elite troops! Most of them (at this point in the timeline) are clone wars veterans! They know their sh*t!
Also a bit disappointed that while they did bring Kessel back as a spice mine where wookie-slaves work, they redconned all the cool stuff about it, like the maw-cluster and the resulting difficulty maintaining an atmosphere.
And for goodness sake being a jedi isn't an on/off switch! I was so happy when they showed the kid having small precognitions as a sign of him being force sensitive and then they just go into overdrive and show him levitating objects and force-jumping (relatively advanced techniques) 30 minutes later.
Is it too much to ask for semi-realistic pacing? Showing that it actually takes work and training to get good at something?

Anyway I'm sure it is going to be mildly entertaining but I'm not holding my breath.
Actually according to current lore, the Empire disposed of all its clone troopers after the Clone Wars. Many of them suffered from PTSD from the war and having killed their generals, as such the vast majority if not all of them were deemed unsuitable for the new imperial army by the Emperor and in a mad decision he sentenced them all to basically death by slave-mines.

As a result all the current Stormtroopers which are supposed to be the elite, haven't had the proper training. The Empire miscalculated the speed at which they could train and replace clonetroopers and as a result the majority of their stormtroopers now are undertrained conscripts, not really wanting to be there and not particularly high in spirit not necessarily able to hit much.

Notable exception would be star-ship pilots whom they still 'have' to give the neccesary training due to the expensive craft they steer.

Back to the clones, the clones already suffered from accelerated growth, which meant they were going to hit their twilight years within a decade as things stood at the end of the clone wars. As such the Emperor was left with dying clone troops that 'granted' had to do his every whim but after Order 66 felt less than enthusiastic about it. Rather than having them continue to serve and having to actually compensate them for winning the clone wars, the Emperor saved a lot of money for his budding empire by simply scrapping the lot of them, and the Mines probably made their last 20 years in the Universe more like their last 5 years.

Which effectively means that the death of the tens of millions (If not 200 million which it is by some estimates) Clone Troopers is probably the first actual genocide the Emperor commited. Arguably it could have been what really sparked rebellious sentiment, the public could be swayed to believe the Jedi betrayed them and that the clones were the 'real' heroes (They were credited for even the battles won by the jedi, the jedi generals were erased from history) But they couldn't really be convinced that not compensating the troops and sending them off to die in the mines was a good idea.

First planet to rebel (maybe as a result, maybe not) was Naboo, however the Naboo rebellion was quickly quelled and their current (And last) queen was executed.

------

As for making 'more' Clone Troops. I suppose that's an option, they could use Jango Fetts kid since, youknow, he's dead and his cloning material was stolen from the facilities during the clone wars.

But I think the Emperor might have disposed of the corrupt people who ran that facility regardless, in order to tie up loose ends. So the technology might indeed have been lost entirely, we see as the Clone Wars progress more and more technology is actually lost in the war, and by the time we reach the old trilogy the technology is far less advanced than it was during the height of the old republic as trade and intellect has stagnated.

The conclusion is, from my point of view- the Stormtroopers are said in Propaganda to be elite but really they're a bunch of conscripts with little to no training, who don't really want to be there but are forced to serve under threat of death. They could easily desert and when they face rebels chances are they don't even really want to kill them, they're just under orders to and if they don't they're going to face execution themselves, so at the very least they have to open fire in their vague direction and their subconciousness will cause them to miss the very human and not-faceless rebels they are fighting.

Anakin aka Darth Vader loved his clonetroopers, the 501st were made 'Vaders Fist' and were probably the only clonetroopers to survive the emperors wrath. However Anakin was still furious at the emperor for his decision to kill off his former combrades, and afterwards he actually plans to overthrow Darth Sidious and become a Benevolent Dictator himself (At least youknow, he wants to. How benevolent Darth Vader would be without his face-heel turn is not really up to question, he'd most likely be a really shitty ruler). When his son appears he is completely ready to put this plan into motion, but his Son (Quite rightly) see him as an evil maniac and therefore rejects the offer.

But still, there is good inside him (His feelings for the clone troopers and his son) which is how he later redeems himself in the eyes of the force. And he does ironically enough bring balance to it.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Nikolaz72 said:
Actually according to current lore, the Empire disposed of all its clone troopers after the Clone Wars. Many of them suffered from PTSD from the war and having killed their generals, as such the vast majority if not all of them were deemed unsuitable for the new imperial army by the Emperor and in a mad decision he sentenced them all to basically death by slave-mines.

As a result all the current Stormtroopers which are supposed to be the elite, haven't had the proper training. The Empire miscalculated the speed at which they could train and replace clonetroopers and as a result the majority of their stormtroopers now are undertrained conscripts, not really wanting to be there and not particularly high in spirit not necessarily able to hit much.

Notable exception would be star-ship pilots whom they still 'have' to give the neccesary training due to the expensive craft they steer.

Back to the clones, the clones already suffered from accelerated growth, which meant they were going to hit their twilight years within a decade as things stood at the end of the clone wars. As such the Emperor was left with dying clone troops that 'granted' had to do his every whim but after Order 66 felt less than enthusiastic about it. Rather than having them continue to serve and having to actually compensate them for winning the clone wars, the Emperor saved a lot of money for his budding empire by simply scrapping the lot of them, and the Mines probably made their last 20 years in the Universe more like their last 5 years.

Which effectively means that the death of the tens of millions (If not 200 million which it is by some estimates) Clone Troopers is probably the first actual genocide the Emperor commited. Arguably it could have been what really sparked rebellious sentiment, the public could be swayed to believe the Jedi betrayed them and that the clones were the 'real' heroes (They were credited for even the battles won by the jedi, the jedi generals were erased from history) But they couldn't really be convinced that not compensating the troops and sending them off to die in the mines was a good idea.

First planet to rebel (maybe as a result, maybe not) was Naboo, however the Naboo rebellion was quickly quelled and their current (And last) queen was executed.

------

As for making 'more' Clone Troops. I suppose that's an option, they could use Jango Fetts kid since, youknow, he's dead and his cloning material was stolen from the facilities during the clone wars.

But I think the Emperor might have disposed of the corrupt people who ran that facility regardless, in order to tie up loose ends. So the technology might indeed have been lost entirely, we see as the Clone Wars progress more and more technology is actually lost in the war, and by the time we reach the old trilogy the technology is far less advanced than it was during the height of the old republic as trade and intellect has stagnated.

The conclusion is, from my point of view- the Stormtroopers are said in Propaganda to be elite but really they're a bunch of conscripts with little to no training, who don't really want to be there but are forced to serve under threat of death. They could easily desert and when they face rebels chances are they don't even really want to kill them, they're just under orders to and if they don't they're going to face execution themselves, so at the very least they have to open fire in their vague direction and their subconciousness will cause them to miss the very human and not-faceless rebels they are fighting.

Anakin aka Darth Vader loved his clonetroopers, the 501st were made 'Vaders Fist' and were probably the only clonetroopers to survive the emperors wrath. However Anakin was still furious at the emperor for his decision to kill off his former combrades, and afterwards he actually plans to overthrow Darth Sidious and become a Benevolent Dictator himself (At least youknow, he wants to. How benevolent Darth Vader would be without his face-heel turn is not really up to question, he'd most likely be a really shitty ruler). When his son appears he is completely ready to put this plan into motion, but his Son (Quite rightly) see him as an evil maniac and therefore rejects the offer.

But still, there is good inside him (His feelings for the clone troopers and his son) which is how he later redeems himself in the eyes of the force. And he does ironically enough bring balance to it.
Ooh, I like that explanation. Source?

Edit: Aaaand, I accidentally posted in a weeks-old thread. Because I'm smart like that.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
DaWaffledude said:
Ooh, I like that explanation. Source?
No single source my young padawan. But trust me, they are all canon. The non-canon stuff was left out of this one.

A lot of them is from watching season 1 through 6 of the animated clone wars series which is still canon. It shows a much more organic slip for Anakin into the dark side as opposed to the new trilogies horrific writing.

It also shows him develope feelings for the clone troopers he is fighting along side, it gives them personalities and humanity. It's well known that fighting alongside others developes a bond, ask any soldier.

The original trilogy is still canon, Darth Vader offers his son a place of power and to rule the galaxy alongside him, this means he is going to kill the Emperor and assume his place as a more cynical version of the dictator he planned himself to be originally. He actually gave his wife the same offer in the 'new' trilogy (Which is also still canon) At that point before his wife was dead he did plan on killing the emperor and making himself an emperor. And probably being a lot more humane than after he has lost his wife and had most of his body melted in lava.

Nevertheless even after all of that Darth Vader is 'still' better than the sitting emperor in the original Trilogy. I know that's arguable but -really- he is not portrayed as worse. In the written source material he is made more or less sympathetic through his apprentices, again in these a plan to overthrow the emperor is spoken of but never carried out.

The degraded technology is also canon. George Lucas had to explain why the technology in the new trilogy looked much more fancy than in the old despite time having actually advanced. The explanation was that the Clone Wars was extremely destructive and some races were outright exterminated during and immediately following them- both of these lead to the loss of technology. Making old technology actually rare and wanted in the aftermath.

Calling the clone troopers being sent to the mines a 'genocide' is perhaps a liberal use of the term. He did kill millions of sentient beings for the sake of convenience and practicality so I'd say it still counts. It's actually mentioned off hand in the lore of the new series.

The Propaganda portraying Jedi as evil is already hinted at in episode 3 when the Emperor kills all the Jedi. He spins it to be a 'Militaristic Jedi is Overthrowing the Democratically Elected Senator' sorta thing, it works because the Jedi at this time were actually overthrowing him (or trying to) since they found out he was the emperor. They'd have done themselves a favor by telling someone outside the order this before acting- but then again, we see again and again that Jedi aren't actually as smart as they want people to think they are.

Now, we know he got rid of the clonetroopers and not that long has passed since the end of the war and the rebellion. At the time of the original trilogy they 'would' have had training but I believe the explanation here is that the Empire at the time of the end of the clone wars and the Empire at the time of the start of the original trilogy is vastly different in size. Perhaps the trained Clone Troopers were simply elsewhere, defending and attacking contested planets rather than fighting rebellions in what the Empire really considered to be relatively stable systems.

In Rebels however the Clone Troopers in those mines are still alive so it has to have been less than 5 years since the Clone Wars ended. Either that or someone miscalculated how long these guys can live.

The Clone Material of Jango Fett being stolen is also from the animated series, a Sith that later gets betrayed by the Emperor steals it and is currently in an unknown location (Last seen on Coruscant)

Ehem. That's all, I think I addressed the points. Wookiepedia is your friend, they have many articles and just as many sources as I could get you if I spend a week gathering them. You'll have to take my word for it or go there to find the sources ;)