Star Wars Saturation Point Begins: Standalone Film Announced For 2016

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
What oversaturation? I can only see you being oversaturated if you immerse yourself in the Expanded universe on a constant basis, but then you're oversaturated regardless of the movies. It's been almost a decade since the last film, that's hardly a constant, neverending stream.

If your argument is that between the Clone Wars series, the books, the games and all that you are feeling oversaturated, that's your problem. But the main franchise is hardly crowded, especially since the news that most of the Expanded universe has been kicked out of canon (making it even more fanfic than it already was).

I get it, everyone loves to predict doom and gloom for Star Wars, it's the current bandwagon - but I honestly don't see what the problem is. Some dreck has come from Disney, but so have good, fun movies. If it's about Disney being a company oriented towards children and toys, Lucas was even worse. I wouldn't mind Star Wars becoming a major Space Opera film franchise, might be a nice break from all the Superhero oversaturation we've been having.

Seriously, the only real issue I have with the new Star Wars films thus far is that they let Abrams anywhere near them, but since most people on this forum jizz at the sound of his name, I'm actually a minority there.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Maybe if they can add info about the new trilogies characters or places in it then it might actually work out good. But origins movies wont work. I like Han Solo, i don give a shit about what he was like as a kid etc

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
If I can get excited about multiple movies a year based on Marvel comic book characters, I think I can stomach a Star Wars movie or two a year, especially considering that both are being funded by the same hand.

Not as keen on origin stories though. I'd rather see more of a cinematic version of the 90s era expanded universe. Not verbatim, mind you, but somewhat lower budget films exploring new characters and their adventures during and after the rebellion era(reserving judgement on whether or not I want to see more stories in the Sequel trilogy era).

Basically, I want to see them pull off something like the X-Wing series.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Kmadden2004 said:
Expect to see the new Sta Wars spin-off hit theatres on May 6th 2016!!!

Oh, wait a minute...
Disney already have Captain America 3 for that date so don't expect a Star Wars film as well.
I know, I was just joking.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
if modern corporate suits existed back in the renaissance era, we would have 17 portrait sequels to the mona lisa and a spin off statue series

id like them to do a jar-jar binks origin story movie, simply because the rage would be delicious
hahaha, oh shit that would be glorious.

OT: Depends what they do with it. Marvel is using their characters as they should atm. Lots of good movies that use the source material, but adapt it for the silver screen. As it should be.

As long as we get Iron Man type milking and not Amazing Spiderman type milking...I'm ok with it.jpg

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
I think that the Star Wars -franchise has always been over-saturated, which is fine for me since I enjoy it. But, to be honest, the standalone films sound like a good idea. Though, I would've liked these, and the new trilogy, to be about some new period of time in Star Wars lore, with completely new characters and motivations. There is quite a lot to go by for sure. Oh well, at least I have my KOTOR's.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
We need Greedo origin story, show us depth and suffering of this character please!

Jar-Jar Origin would also be great!

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
I agree with the idea one or two movies a year seems odd point to find oversaturation. That is 3-6 hours of star-wars a year, I know its not a perfectly appt comparison, but one tv show, or decent length video game, makes close to 10 times that amount of content but they are not over-saturated just by existing.
Jandau said:
Seriously, the only real issue I have with the new Star Wars films thus far is that they let Abrams anywhere near them, but since most people on this forum jizz at the sound of his name, I'm actually a minority there.
Really I dont think I have ever seen any bigger praise than "ehh he's pretty good" for Abrams on this site, other than that I agree with you though.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
I'm not particularily bothered by this development, though that's simply because my faith in Edwards is far greater than my faith in JJ Abrams.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Didn't we already know about this? The director is news, of course, but the whole standalone Star Wars movies thing. Everyone's acting like this is the first they've heard of it.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I'm just hoping that they step away from most of the established characters a little bit and start doing new and interesting stuff with new characters.

There is so much stuff going on in the Star Wars universe that it would be a waste to keep hanging around the same motley crew for years.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Steven Bogos said:
Are you excited at the prospect of a Bobba Fett/Han Solo origin feature, or do you think that the franchise is starting to get a bit over-saturated?
Waitwaitwait....

Holy FUCK, that's an amazing collection. You even have the Family Guy specials!

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Varis said:
I think that the Star Wars -franchise has always been over-saturated, which is fine for me since I enjoy it. But, to be honest, the standalone films sound like a good idea. Though, I would've liked these, and the new trilogy, to be about some new period of time in Star Wars lore, with completely new characters and motivations. There is quite a lot to go by for sure. Oh well, at least I have my KOTOR's.
Personally, I'm hoping at some point that they take a shot at adapting KotOR - great story, and firmly structured enough that it works well for a film, and hopefully wouldn't be screwed up too much in rewrites. It does things with Star Wars different enough from the films that if anything, it would reduce saturation, give the film franchise a larger scope - a time period far enough removed from the main franchise that they don't affect each other, subversions of what's come before in the films, like Revan, HK. Oh man, I'd love to see HK47 on the silver screen.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Scorpid said:
I think it's a bad sign that people are asking about over saturation already, but than again people have become so cynical over the Star Wars movies that this isn't exactly a great surprise.
I think it's just the internet being the internet.

Proclaiming doom is kind of what we do.

evilnancyreagan said:
as if I need anymore reason to despise non-interactive media.
What gives interactive media more integrity?

evilnancyreagan

May 1, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
What gives interactive media more integrity?
Nothing. I Never proclaimed that it has.

I find involving myself as a participant more rewarding than merely being a spectator. Simple personal preference.

Oddly enough though, the medium possessing the most integrity is the least interactive one.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Well since they are standalone films I actually would probably enjoy a movie that explores something different in the Star Wars universe. New characters with new problems of their own...

standalone films would most likely be origin stories, with everyone from Yoda, Boba Fett, to Han Solo thrown around as possible candidates
BLOODY HELL!

Is creativity dead? Has the word original fallen from the dictionary.

One of the biggest problems with the Star Wars universe is that it isn't a universe, it's a cattle shed. crammed with a dozen people, and a dozen planets, and absolutely every plot, theme and development just alternates focus between these 2 dozen points.

The great thing about these characters is the mystery of what drives them. Knowing Yoda's intimate family and racial history will not make him more awesome. In fact it will achieve the opposite. Yoda in the original trilogy is a mysterious master of the force: An old hermit that possesses an ancient source of power.

We aren't supposed to know his history. We aren't supposed to examine Yoda filling out his spaceship tax forms and taking watery dumps in a cantina refuse pit after some bad Corellian cocktails gave him the runs after he went on a bender because his Twi'lek girlfriend split up with him.
Knowing the method behind the Magician's trick ruins the suspense and intrigue of the 'magic'. Knowing the history and psychology of the mysterious hermit ruins the mystic character of the teacher and the feeling of otherworldly power he holds.

To put it another way, The Emperor using a lightening attack in the third movie was frightening, unexpected, and gave the impression that here was a being so powerful in the force he could manipulate reality to achieve anything. Take a cursory glance at any depiction of dark jedi in current media, and they are more lightening focused than an electric pokemon. At least Pikachu learned tackle, My Old Republic Sith Sorcerer knows 10 different ways to make lightening fly out his ass, but woe betide asking the force to create any other element or effect.

I'm just reaching my wits end at hoping Star Wars will ever do a large budget release of something that actually expands on the universe, rather than photocopying the old content and changing a few verbs.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Steven Bogos said:
Are you excited at the prospect of a Bobba Fett/Han Solo origin feature, or do you think that the franchise is starting to get a bit over-saturated?
Waitwaitwait....

Holy FUCK, that's an amazing collection. You even have the Family Guy specials!
None of that's mine, I just googled "star wars ____ collection" for "DVDs" "Books" "comics" and "videogames"